5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have similar issue with 2022 RAM V8 HEMI eTorque surging when coming to a stop?

case0417

Reaction score
I am having this issue it seems when engine is cold versus hot that I will pull up to stop sign and have soft braking and my engine will all of sudden have a little rpm surge and because i don't have full brake on, it lurches truck forward. I don't seem to notice this when engine is fully warmed up but I am going to start monitoring this closer, but would appreciate if anyone else has experienced this letting me know. I had one experience right outside where I work where i drifted into a stop sign before a three lane street and because I didn't have full brake on, it all of sudden lurched me forward out into the beginning of 1st lane and thx god no one was in that lane or it would of been ugly. That was only time I can remember having a little more speed before I got to stop sign and the lurching was much stronger, normally its a small jump in RPM's that I notice. Appreciate any insight!

mattmann527

Reaction score
I have mostly noticed this when pulling into a parking spot. Not sure if it is a downshifting thing or something with the auto start/stop system. But I had it happen at a stop light in heavy traffic and about hit the person in front of me.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Have you had the etorque system updated since last summer? There were a couple of updates that removed the surging. Mine used to lunge forward when I removed my foot from the break with start/stop on, now it just sits there.

Tinatwj

Reaction score
I am having this issue it seems when engine is cold versus hot that I will pull up to stop sign and have soft braking and my engine will all of sudden have a little rpm surge and because i don't have full brake on, it lurches truck forward. I don't seem to notice this when engine is fully warmed up but I am going to start monitoring this closer, but would appreciate if anyone else has experienced this letting me know. I had one experience right outside where I work where i drifted into a stop sign before a three lane street and because I didn't have full brake on, it all of sudden lurched me forward out into the beginning of 1st lane and thx god no one was in that lane or it would of been ugly. That was only time I can remember having a little more speed before I got to stop sign and the lurching was much stronger, normally its a small jump in RPM's that I notice. Appreciate any insight!
I have exact same issue with my 2019 dodge ram rebel sport

Jaylon35

Reaction score
I have mostly noticed this when pulling into a parking spot. Not sure if it is a downshifting thing or something with the auto start/stop system. But I had it happen at a stop light in heavy traffic and about hit the person in front of me.
It's a recall that ram fixes easily ..

RLee276

Reaction score
Should live monitor misfires. And o say that because my truck acted similarly when I was having misfires (no codes or check engine light)
And when the mis fires stopped. It didn’t do that anymore.

Fitch85

Reaction score
2022 Ram 1500 hemi-E
I have experienced, a surging type of feeling at low speed and the first mile or so of travel even when warm. It feels like the stall converter is too low, even putting it into gear it jumps forward.... I definitely feel like I have a misfire at times. At least once a day sitting at the light shakes pretty rough. I just broke 5k miles, so the first few k's I thought I just need to get used to it or I didn't notice it as much.. haven't drove it alot in the year i have owned it.. Also coming to an almost stop, it completely falls on its face, no reaction then a rush of throttle, I've gotten used to predicting it, but it's annoying as crap... 3 times it has went completely limp.. so in slow moving traffic it just died out but for just a split second... I always have turned the start stop off, and on top of all that, it ticks, all the time, like it really ticks. Every once in a while it will rattle for 30 seconds on start up.... I really like the truck, but it's starting to get to me the more I start to drive it. And I don't ever remember it ticking the first 2k miles,

Wire4money

Reaction score
I have a similar feeling on my non etorque Hemi. If I back out of a spot, put it in drive, press the throttle slightly to move up 10 feet or so, then hit the brake, it surges and lurches forward.

Bavet

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a similar feeling on my non etorque Hemi. If I back out of a spot, put it in drive, press the throttle slightly to move up 10 feet or so, then hit the brake, it surges and lurches forward.
Yes, tight parking spaces are dangerous. My eTorque Hemi doesn't move until I'm half way off the brake, then it lurches forward as the driveline engages. Every vehicle I've ever owned allowed you to creep as you feather the brake. Only way to totally disengage the eTorque is to put it in Tow/Haul or Manual modes. I wish Ram would do a software change that would totally turn off the eTorque when the Stop/Start Off button is pressed instead of having to go through the Tow/Haul of Manual modes.
People ask me all the time how I like my truck, but I can no longer sugar coat my disappointment in the eTorque system. Now I tell them to never purchase a truck with it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, tight parking spaces are dangerous. My eTorque Hemi doesn't move until I'm half way off the brake, then it lurches forward as the driveline engages. Every vehicle I've ever owned allowed you to creep as you feather the brake. Only way to totally disengage the eTorque is to put it in Tow/Haul or Manual modes. I wish Ram would do a software change that would totally turn off the eTorque when the Stop/Start Off button is pressed instead of having to go through the Tow/Haul of Manual modes.
People ask me all the time how I like my truck, but I can no longer sugar coat my disappointment in the eTorque system. Now I tell them to never purchase a truck with it.
No offense but you don't seem to know what eTorque actually does.
Tow haul mode doesn't affect any potions of eTorque.

You can't "disengage the eTorque"

You can disable start\stop which is part of eTorque with the button

The only thing the gear selector and or tow haul mode does is turn off MDS (4 cylinder mode) which is and has never been a feature of eTorque and is present on the 6.4 HEMI that eTorque is not even available for.

There are updates for eTorque to address the "lurching" you can get done at the dealership, or just hit the button and turn off start\stop

Wire4money

Reaction score
Mine is standard Hemi, not etorque. The lurching is going to rear end someone someday.

Bavet

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No offense but you don't seem to know what eTorque actually does.
Tow haul mode doesn't affect any potions of eTorque.

You can't "disengage the eTorque"

You can disable start\stop which is part of eTorque with the button

The only thing the gear selector and or tow haul mode does is turn off MDS (4 cylinder mode) which is and has never been a feature of eTorque and is present on the 6.4 HEMI that eTorque is not even available for.

There are updates for eTorque to address the "lurching" you can get done at the dealership, or just hit the button and turn off start\stop.
No offense taken. But I disagree. I have a GT so maybe it's different. My eTorque, even with the button pushed to turn it off, disengages the drivetrain at stops. The engine doesn't turn off, but the effects of the eTorque on the drivetrain remain.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Disabling auto stop start, or engaging tow haul doesn’t disable etorque.

Robman700

Reaction score
I have a 21 eTorque. I have not experienced any of the problems that have been mentioned above. However I was in the dealership a few days ago getting an alignment done, And they said there was a recall for the eTorque. Simple software update.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No offense taken. But I disagree. I have a GT so maybe it's different. My eTorque, even with the button pushed to turn it off, disengages the drivetrain at stops. The engine doesn't turn off, but the effects of the eTorque on the drivetrain remain.
humm i have a gt, and i can confirm the etorque works exactly the same as other ram.

and also, when i turn off the auto start stop with the button, it works and dosent turn off the engine at a stop light, but like others have said, the etorque is still working, just the engine off on stops.

also i dont think mine have the problem describ in this thread, but it does turn off the engine before im at a complet stop, so if i would do a quick stop(one that you dont completly stop the vehicle.from.moving) then i would feel it struggle a little bite letting off the brake to accelerate

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 21 eTorque. I have not experienced any of the problems that have been mentioned above. However I was in the dealership a few days ago getting an alignment done, And they said there was a recall for the eTorque. Simple software update.

Yeah ALL eTorque trucks built 6-3-20 through 9-12-21 are recalled apparently. Quite a few reports of them just totally shutting off on the highway randomly. Not cool.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Could you expand upon what you mean it disengages the drivetrain when stopped with start\stop turned off?
You also said putting it into tow\haul mode makes it NOT do this?

My eTorque Hemi doesn't move until I'm half way off the brake, then it lurches forward as the driveline engages. Every vehicle I've ever owned allowed you to creep as you feather the brake. Only way to totally disengage the eTorque is to put it in Tow/Haul or Manual modes.

Users who are viewing this thread