5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have problems with catch can? I uninstalled mishimoto after 200 miles

SpookyWatcher

Reaction score
New 21 Rebel 5.7. Installed the mishimoto catch can at 1822 miles and promptly took it off after less than 200 miles.

It just didn't sit well with me. Seemed like there was too much flow restriction with that brass filter and longer hoses etc and it got me worried.

It made a noise while running (sort of a whistling noise).

It definitely pulled oil out even after only 200 miles, but I still had bad juju feelings about it.

So I went back to stock all seemed normal again.

Anyone have troubles with them? I'm worried that the vacuum was /is too restricted possibly causing pressure in the crank case.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
6000 miles and no issues

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Sin_loki

Reaction score
PVC systems don't flow a lot to start with, (unless you have massive blow by, and on a NA engine that's bad). length isn't really an issue unless the lines are a lot lower than the OCC body (gravity wins). Unless there is a kink in the lines and all hoses are properly attached, generally OCC don't make too much noise however they mite make a little bit due to the baffling inside the OCC. All the cars that i have OCC installed in also have exhaust systems installed as well so i would never actually heard of the OCC make any noise. Unless there is loose bits inside it, Just Send it and keep this milk shake mix from getting inside your engine.

20171018_182409.jpg

Scram1500

Reaction score
My Mishimoto makes noise, sounds like a vacuum leak. The engine is so smooth and quiet at idle you can hear all kinds of things. My personal theory is the can amplifies suction noise from the intake. 1 year, 10,000 miles and zero issues other than unscrewing the can every few months to pour out the funk. I really need to install a petcock one of these days for ease of maintenance

SpookyWatcher

Reaction score
Thx all. For now I put it on the shelf. Just going to run PUP with 5k changes or 8 mo whichever comes first. If after 100k I need to clean the intake and valves I'll just do that.

Much appreciated.

SpookyWatcher

Ramjack

Reaction score
Thx all. For now I put it on the shelf. Just going to run PUP with 5k changes or 8 mo whichever comes first. If after 100k I need to clean the intake and valves I'll just do that.
How ? I'm not aware of a process that truly works other than tearing off the intake and heads to clean these areas. Lots of marketing around treatments in a bottle and even treatments available from mechanics. Do you know of any that actually do a thorough job? I'm not sure there is such a thing. Too bad the thing whistles.

Last edited:

HemiDude

Reaction score
I have the same Billet Technology cc on my Ram that I had on my Challenger, no noise from it on either vehicle. This is actually the first time I have heard of that. Like @Sin_loki, I have also had louder exhaust on both vehicles, so maybe the sound did exist but was covered up...

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How ? I'm not aware of a process that truly works other than tearing off the intake and heads to clean these areas. Lots of marketing around treatments in a bottle and even treatments available from mechanics. Do you know of any that actually do a thorough job? I'm not sure there is such a thing. Too bad the things whistles.
3M makes a kit that you spray into the intake and let it sit overnight. Seemed to work pretty well on a previous vehicle. Other companies make similar products.

Darkrt

Reaction score
No issues with mine. Works as well as previously cans I've used. Wanted a BT, but it wouldn't work with my S&B intake.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had the same catch can on my previous truck (2020 Laramie) and I never noticed it making any noises. I haven't put that CC on my current truck yet. I was planning to do that this weekend. I'll listen more closely to see if I can hear anything coming from it.

Ramjack

Reaction score
3M makes a kit that you spray into the intake and let it sit overnight. Seemed to work pretty well on a previous vehicle. Other companies make similar products.
How do you know it works? I know other companies make similar products but I've never seen evidence that any of them actually work, which is why I'm leaning toward a catch can.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I had the same catch can on my previous truck (2020 Laramie) and I never noticed it making any noises. I haven't put that CC on my current truck yet. I was planning to do that this weekend. I'll listen more closely to see if I can hear anything coming from it.
Did you end up installing your can? Wondering if you heard any noise.

Scram1500

Reaction score
The debris that comes off can clog a catalytic converter in short order

Ramjack

Reaction score
My Mishimoto catch can arrives tomorrow. Does anyone have tips for removing the boot ends of the factory PCV line? I was able to remove the line easily by pulling it out of the boot ends at the PCV valve and the opposite end. I see that the Mishimoto instructions recommend pliers, but I'm trying not to damage the boots.

Ramjack

Reaction score
Just finished installing my Mishimoto catch can. The hardest part was removing the OEM rubber fittings. I used my curved plastic trim removal tools to help pull them off. Worked great.

BTW, I'm getting zero noise/hiss after the install; just as quiet as stock. The quality of the included hoses seems very good, but they have no markings on them which I suspect means they aren't great. But they seem more than robust enough for this particular application. If my OCD gets me, I may upgrade to transmission oil cooler lines like others have suggested.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did you end up installing your can? Wondering if you heard any noise.
No noise with it installed on the new truck. I see you got yours installed. Glad to hear you aren't hearing anything unusual either. I have no problems with the hoses that came with the Mishimoto CC.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have about 30k miles on mine between two 5th gens its been on and neither has had any sort of issue.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I just finished a 1,000-mile highway trip after installing the Mishimoto catch can. Sorry, I don't have a clear container. The consistency suggests that there is more water than oil; looks a bit like bad coffee. IMG_20210605_074237067.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210605_074535658.jpg
    IMG_20210605_074535658.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 20

Users who are viewing this thread