5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have aftermarket resi shocks?

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried using the search function within the forums but I had no luck with this topic. I am now in the market for some fox or king reservoir shocks for my 19 Rebel. The bilsteins are great, so far they have noy let me down nor have I noticed a significant fade while offroading so it makes me really question whether to get some Resi shocks. I have heard from people who have got king shocks that it was a night and day difference but these are the same people that had factory OEM shocks with stiff factory springs lol.
20191130_130218.jpg

drumexpert

Reaction score
I tried using the search function within the forums but I had no luck with this topic. I am now in the market for some fox or king reservoir shocks for my 19 Rebel. The bilsteins are great, so far they have noy let me down nor have I noticed a significant fade while offroading so it makes me really question whether to get some Resi shocks. I have heard from people who have got king shocks that it was a night and day difference but these are the same people that had factory OEM shocks with stiff factory springs lol.
View attachment 58926
Good luck with your question. Hopefully someone on here can provide you with some advice on the resi shock.

Not to high jack the thread, but nice wheel and tire setup! How are you liking the KO2s over the stock duratrac? Any noticeable differences in everyday driving or wet weather driving (i.e. would you say one is WAY better than the other)?

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good luck with your question. Hopefully someone on here can provide you with some advice on the resi shock.

Not to high jack the thread, but nice wheel and tire setup! How are you liking the KO2s over the stock duratrac? Any noticeable differences in everyday driving or wet weather driving (i.e. would you say one is WAY better than the other)?
I'm not sure I took off the stock set up within the first week lol but I love them. They have an aggressive look, great traction and wear and are pretty quiet

MetalDog

Reaction score
Icon makes a great suspension kit (stage 1 through stage 5) for the 1500. Not a cheap leveling kit, but a real suspension kit. Carli who makes the best suspension for Rams (they build their systems around King 2.5 Reservoir shocks). Youtube has a ton of information on these systems.

Icon: https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/products/?fit=1&model=1500
Carli: https://carlisuspension.com/product-category/dodge/ram-1500/1500-shock-packages/

The 2019 version of the Carli suspension will be available this year. Compared to these, BDS is so-so, and pretty much anything else is crap. If you have air suspension, you can still replace with either of these systems, but you will need to remove two fuses. My dealership has already offered to do it.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Icon makes a great suspension kit (stage 1 through stage 5) for the 1500. Not a cheap leveling kit, but a real suspension kit. Carli who makes the best suspension for Rams (they build their systems around King 2.5 Reservoir shocks). Youtube has a ton of information on these systems.

Carli: https://carlisuspension.com/product-category/dodge/ram-1500/1500-shock-packages/

The 2019 version of the Carli suspension will be available this year. Compared to these, BDS is so-so, and pretty much anything else is crap. If you have air suspension, you can still replace with either of these systems, but you will need to remove two fuses. My dealership has already offered to do it.
I ended up purchasing the king 2.5 coil overs with adjustment knobs and custom valving. I'm not sure when they will arrive as its custom length to level the Rebel but I'm pretty excited to install. I haven't seen any other 5th gen rebels with kings. I also purchased bds upper control arms to go with the set-up

chrisnack

Reaction score

pull 2 fuses disabling the air suspension?

Downytide

Reaction score
Hey OP, I think you and I are in the same boat, I want to be able go faster on rough roads but don't want to lose the comfort.

Love your youtube video on the exhaust btw, it sound so good.

MetalDog

Reaction score
pull 2 fuses disabling the air suspension?

Yes, if you look under your truck it's pretty apparent it is easy to delete the physical components of the air system and drop in a full suspension upgrade. The problem is the computer. The service manager said it was easy, and that you just pull two fuses to completely disable the system after removing the hardware. I do think you get a brief "check air suspension" message for a few seconds after startup that then goes away. Labor for putting in the BDS 2 inch air suspension left is about identical to just pulling the old system out and replacing with a Carli or Icon package. At least that is what he told me.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey OP, I think you and I are in the same boat, I want to be able go faster on rough roads but don't want to lose the comfort.

Love your youtube video on the exhaust btw, it sound so good.
Thanks man.Total was around $4,160 with the purchase of BDS upper control arms. Arrival of king suspension is 5-7 weeks unfortunately

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread