5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone Have a Bed Cover Fly Off?

helds1

Reaction score
Bought my daughter a 2021 Limited. Under 1,000 miles. Going down highway, bed cover flew off after clips snapped. Cops said lucky nobody was in back of her. I can't find anyone on forum who has experienced this. Is this a fluke?

Narg

Reaction score
Bed covers can be a pain. I no longer do the soft covers any more due to issues similar to this. I currently use an Extang folding cover. Love it.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just rolled over 4000 miles on my 2020. I have the tri-fold soft factory cover, no issues so far. I've heard of this issue happening, especially if the front clips/clamps are not done or not fully done, but never seen it in person myself.

I'd say go after Chrysler to replace it under warranty if you can (clamp/clip failure). Then sell it and get a better one if you cannot get yourself to trust it any longer.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have had many covers and never had or heard it happening. Probably wasn't installed correctly (someone didn't tighten something all the way IMO.)

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Gs72174

Reaction score
I had the Mopar Trifold fly of my 2019 1500 but that was because I was late for an appointment and totally forgot about latching the back clips. The front part was strapped down. Stayed on my truck for about 5 mins at around 55mph before I saw a big object in my rear view fly away.

Basically the back 2 sections of the cover ripped/broke off and the front section which was strapped down stayed put.

I’m gonna have to echo what the last guy said. I haven’t had issues nor have any of my friends and family that have trifolds. I’m gonna have to say someone forgot to latch the cover down especially if it’s a 2021.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bought my daughter a 2021 Limited. Under 1,000 miles. Going down highway, bed cover flew off after clips snapped. Cops said lucky nobody was in back of her. I can't find anyone on forum who has experienced this. Is this a fluke?
No issues in 2.5 years with my factory tri-fold, including lots of 75+ mph cruising. It does flap ever so slightly at highway speeds, but the guesses others have made about clips not being locked seem plausible.

Shockingram

Reaction score
I had the exact same issue. Do you have the multi function tailgate?

chris288

Reaction score
ive had the same soft tri fold on my last 3 trucks for over 8 years, even driven around without the rear latches latched, never had a problem.

tiny4321

Reaction score
I have had a Tonnopro trifold cover fly off however it was operator error. I had gotten into it and failed to secure the rear latches which manifested their lack of attachment at highway speed. I happened to see it occur in my rearview mirror. It made one full revolution and landed squarely on the underside on the roadway. There was only one vehicle on the road and a long way behind me so it did not get run over or struck by another vehicle. The only damage was some scratches on the metal frame and on the latches.

Users who are viewing this thread