5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone Flat Tow their Ram - 12v direct connect power accessory needed?

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am planning on flat towing my '19 Ram 1500 behind a motor home next summer. I am looking into purchasing an RVI brake controller to have brake assisting in the Ram. On the RVI brake controler site, when I put in the Ram model, it states that I need a 12V Batter Direct Kit. "The 12-Volt Battery Direct Kit provides an extra 12-Volt outlet thatruns directly off of your towed vehicle's battery. It's inline 20-ampfuse and 16 gauge wire provides consistent power for yourRVibrake when your stock 12-Volt outlet cannot."

Does anyone know if this is actually needed? Does the 12v outlet on the top of the dash provide constant current? I am at work so can't check. I though the Ram did not need any special configurations. Has anyone flat towed it?

Also, does it need a battey charger? Is there a battery drain while using a 12v brake controller? Of course it uses juice, but enough to require a charger?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am planning on flat towing my '19 Ram 1500 behind a motor home next summer. I am looking into purchasing an RVI brake controller to have brake assisting in the Ram. On the RVI brake controler site, when I put in the Ram model, it states that I need a 12V Batter Direct Kit. "The 12-Volt Battery Direct Kit provides an extra 12-Volt outlet thatruns directly off of your towed vehicle's battery. It's inline 20-ampfuse and 16 gauge wire provides consistent power for yourRVibrake when your stock 12-Volt outlet cannot."

Does anyone know if this is actually needed? Does the 12v outlet on the top of the dash provide constant current? I am at work so can't check. I though the Ram did not need any special configurations. Has anyone flat towed it?

Also, does it need a battey charger? Is there a battery drain while using a 12v brake controller? Of course it uses juice, but enough to require a charger?

This is exactly why I tow on a trailer behind my Motorhome, and yes it can be a headache so I have given thought to flat towing but then I am limited to only one of my vehicles to bring as the toad. I think the outlet is key on power so you would want the direct 12V battery kit so you aren't draining as much energy.

RangerZ

Reaction score
Good info. I’ll be switching mine. I dislike the keyed on power

Rick J

Reaction score
Great to know. Can you send a link to that online manual. Tough to read what exactly it is on my phone. Saw you searched 12v and found that. Great info
Try this link https://5thgenrams.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2019-RAM-1500_All_New-OM-3rd_R2.pdf . This will get you Version 3. If you are registered on the RAM owners website https://www.mopar.com/ramtrucks/en-us.html you can download the latest (Version 7) from there. I've tried to post the PDF here as an attachment but the file size exceeds what the forum will allow.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just saw a YouTube video - just jump the fuse on slot. Easy as can be. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. Was hard to see in the photo and there was no text in the manual stating that. Cheers!

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just saw a YouTube video - just jump the fuse on slot. Easy as can be. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. Was hard to see in the photo and there was no text in the manual stating that. Cheers!

I am going to test this. Would be nice if it also allowed the wireless charge pad and usb's to stay active.

Last edited:

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I went out to the truck and tried to do this, but I could not find fuse F54. There was no F54 in the fuse box in the engine compartment. Where exactly is the fuse box they are referring to in the diagram?
Drivers side under the dash.

Rick J

Reaction score
So I went out to the truck and tried to do this, but I could not find fuse F54. There was no F54 in the fuse box in the engine compartment. Where exactly is the fuse box they are referring to in the diagram?
Internal Power Distribution Center
The Power Distribution Center is located under the drivers side instrument panel. This center contains cartridge fuses, micro
fuses, relays, and circuit breakers.

nbomar

Reaction score
I have my flat toe brackets installed and wiring for rear lights. The braking system goes in within the next week or so. I’m using all roadmaster products. Had them in my f150 and removed the brakes when sold. Mine uses an air cylinder with a cable attached the brake pedal arm. I’ll let you know how it works when finished. From what I understand, nothing extra is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread