5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone find the air suspension to be rougher than the regular suspension?

jastevenson

Reaction score
Today I test drove a Limited and a Laramie (reg suspension) back to back. Air suspension set to normal mode.

I felt that the two were very similar, but the air suspension was very slightly rougher than the regular suspension.

Never driven an air suspension vehicle before, but I had heard they have a magic carpet ride, so maybe my expectations were too high? Still, I thought it would at least be noticeably better than the regular suspension.

Any other thoughts.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There may have been a tire pressure situation between the two vehicles.
If one of them was a little overfilled that would make for a more jarring ride.

See my 4th gen Rebels had tires at 59psi on all 4 tires when I got it. Cold pressure they're supposed to be 55/45s.
Rode very differently.

I think there's 2 things going on there.
1) It's said the 5th gen springs are awesome. Absolutely awesome. The differences might be harder to detect this generation
2) PSI problem between the two tested vehicles.

knightro84

Reaction score
Did the Limited have 22's compared to the Laramie's 20's, or possibly even 18's?

maroneyaz

Reaction score
I found the something similar. I drove several air and standard suspension trucks and ended up with a longhorn with the non air off-road package. It felt the most sure footed and smoothest on the freeway. The air suspension felt less tight and felt more freeway bumps.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
My mom has a 2018 longhorn with the air suspension and the ride is notcieably harsher than my 2019 laramie with the steel suspension.

jastevenson

Reaction score
OP here. All good questions, above.

I made sure both trucks had 20s and no off-road package.

The one thing I did not do is confirm that tire pressures were equal, so there is a small possibility that tire pressure differences contributed to the ride quality difference I detected. Before I make my final decision I will probably re-drive both an air suspension and a regular suspension to confirm my original impression, and check tire pressures too.

Regardless, both suspensions smoothly, so I was impressed coming from an F-150.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove both as well with same setup except for air ride and felt air ride was much smoother. So it was a must have for me. I also purchased Mopar lifetime maximum care warranty for added protection.

Ride feel is very subjective. So everyone will have different opinions which is why it's good you drive both.

I also have 18 rims which I think plays a significant role.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I drove both and observed very little difference in ride quality. The coil suspension is really impressive. The air suspension is equally so...and I liked the additional capabilities. I also thought it felt more “planted”, and I was looking for that (coming from a 3/4-ton). But you really can’t go wrong.

Fidomac

Reaction score
Today I test drove a Limited and a Laramie (reg suspension) back to back. Air suspension set to normal mode.

I felt that the two were very similar, but the air suspension was very slightly rougher than the regular suspension.

Never driven an air suspension vehicle before, but I had heard they have a magic carpet ride, so maybe my expectations were too high? Still, I thought it would at least be noticeably better than the regular suspension.

Any other thoughts.
I thought so too...

Users who are viewing this thread