5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone ever pay off your truck early and get threatened by dealership that you are responsible for a penalty?

Cortesio

Reaction score
I said it's legal. It's about doing what is right - i.e. living up to your word - doing what you said you'd do. Some people will honor their word, even if they are not legally bound to do so. My dealer told me they'll lose their commission from the finance company if I pay it off within 6 months, so I agreed not to do that. I didn't have to sign a paper stating that. I'm not legally bound to it, but I will honor my word, nonetheless.

"Making their money" includes making the commission check from the finance company. If they gave you a REALLY good deal, that commission check that you are taking away might be half the money they were going to make. Or even all of it. But, hey, if you feel okay with lying to the dealer and costing them part of the money they were supposed to make (just so you can save a few dollars on interest), then there is nothing else I can really say.

How much are you saving if you pay it all off today versus if you pay all but 5 payments, and then pay those over the next 5 months? If you agreed to a deal that included not paying it off for 6 months, and then you pay it off early anyway, how much is not living up to what you agreed to worth to you?

People want to b!tch about dealers lying to them and then they turn around and lie to the dealer. "No, I won't pay it off for 6 months." [runs right out and pays it off immediately] It's hard (for me) to get TOO pissed at dealers for lying when I know people are not only lying to them, too, but taking real money out of the dealer's pocket just to save themselves pennies.
I have never had a dealer volunteer the fact that they make money on the finance side. If, during the negotiation, that becomes a point brought up as a quid pro quo of lowering the sale price to make the money back from a bank commission, I could see wanting to stand by your word. Short of that rare circumstance, dealers tend to be pretty guarded about all the different angles they have for profit. They'd rather you think they sold it for a loss than have you know they got such and such kickbacks from wherever.

When negotiating the price, I always tell them that they know the money on their side of the deal and what they can sell it for and I know what I can buy it for. A dealer that sweetens the deal without disclosing they're going to just try to get the money from you another way isn't entitled to extra secret profits at your expense. I once had a F&I guy act like he had done me a favor to do the financing and that I owed it to him to go in on some warranties and junk.

If you make a gentleman's agreement with a dealer as part of your deal so they can count on profit from some kickback, more power to you. Just know that dealers are almost never that forthcoming with us regular folks.

Cortesio

Reaction score
So OP, you're willing to sift through the posts here about your issue but you're not willing to read your own contract to see what it says? Sounds like a Millennial to me...

I pay cash for all my vehicles and if you're financing you don't have enough money to buy a new truck. I know facts and the truth hurt so sorry in advance.
Feel free to dig up the tin can buried in your backyard with all your money whenever you want to buy something. Idiot millennials like myself will have to keep taking advantage of low-to-no interest financing so we can put the money we didn't lay out for a rapidly depreciating asset into something that will actually increase in value.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I have never had a dealer volunteer the fact that they make money on the finance side. If, during the negotiation, that becomes a point brought up as a quid pro quo of lowering the sale price to make the money back from a bank commission, I could see wanting to stand by your word. Short of that rare circumstance, dealers tend to be pretty guarded about all the different angles they have for profit. They'd rather you think they sold it for a loss than have you know they got such and such kickbacks from wherever.

When negotiating the price, I always tell them that they know the money on their side of the deal and what they can sell it for and I know what I can buy it for. A dealer that sweetens the deal without disclosing they're going to just try to get the money from you another way isn't entitled to extra secret profits at your expense. I once had a F&I guy act like he had done me a favor to do the financing and that I owed it to him to go in on some warranties and junk.

If you make a gentleman's agreement with a dealer as part of your deal so they can count on profit from some kickback, more power to you. Just know that dealers are almost never that forthcoming with us regular folks.

Stuart appears to be taking the "moral high ground/man of integrity" position in his debate here. And while that is indeed a "high bar/lofty" position to aspire to - we are talking about CAR DEALERSHIPS HERE - who are most often stacked right along with Plumbers and Telemarketers - when it comes to having integrity themselves.

I relate this to a close friend of mine, who was an "investment banker". Back in the days of the mid-2000's, he was steering all his clients into "mortgage backed securities" (all that B & C paper, and negative amortization HIGH RISK paper that was being bundled and FLUSHED by the "smart banks" to reduce their risk). When everything went belly up, and the housing values crashed (more like "adjusted to their REAL VALUES - instead of the inflated values the banks pushed them to - in order to push more paper/$$ onto the street and fatten their take) - I made the decision to do a "strategic default". Not that I couldn't AFFORD to keep paying mortgages on a home that was now worth less than 1/2 the paper I was carrying - it just didn't make strategic/financial sense to keep doing so. Now - he railed on me, for not having integrity - I MADE AN AGREEMENT and was not keeping my end of the deal. In a sense, this is true. But in another sense - it was simply a BUSINESS DECISION. My question to him was: DID YOU GIVE BACK YOUR COMMISSIONS TO ALL YOUR CLIENTS THAT LOST THEIR INVESTMENTS? That's what a "man of integrity" would do. No response to that one. There's was no "malice" against the banking industry, for putting the entire economy in a tailspin. I was angry WITH MYSELF, for falling into a trap I considered myself "smart enough to see coming" (a $200K house is not worth $500K in 3 years, no matter how good the neighborhood is), and overleveraging myself. And my "friend" made millions pushing paper that HE WAS SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW, wasn't sustainable. The market ALWAYS CORRECTS ITSELF. Watch out - it's happening AGAIN.

Unless you are a "close personal friend" of the GM - there is NO DEALERSHIP that's going to stay in business - by letting inventory walk off the lot AT A LOSS. Can they do one or two, once in awhile - and balance against the higher margins on "regular deals"? Sure they can. But pretty much every salesman/manager is going to use the "I'm selling this to you at a LOSS" line, in negotiations - when we ALL KNOW that's nothing more than a BOLD FACED LIE - PURE AND SIMPLE. Where's the "integrity" there? ALL DEALERSHIPS ARE MAKING MONEY - both on the front and back end - and I DON'T BEGRUDGE THEM THIS. It's "just business".

So should WE BE EXPECTED to take the "moral high ground", and hold onto a note that is not to OUR ADVANTAGE - simply because the dealer might lose a few $$ on their commission?

In my case - at 8.9% - out and out THIEVERY for someone with decent credit (and two paid off car loans in the last 5 years - plus coming in with over 50% cash & trade) - the ONLY REASON I TOOK THE LOAN, was to push my expenditure out until next tax year (and to get out of the dealership after spending 4 hours there). And the finance manager was trying to TALK ME INTO BORROWING MORE.

And I'll pay it off early - with ZERO CONSIDERATION as to whether the dealer or Chrysler Finance gets upset about it. In the 6 months I plan on keeping the note (maybe less) - I'll have paid $826 IN INTEREST ALONE - 5% of the amount financed IN SIX MONTHS. If I keep the note for 72 months - I will have paid close to $6K in interest (finance charge), on $19K borrowed - which "looks like" 30% interest, but in reality is the 8.89% in a "simple interest loan".

Another "little known fact". The order in which documents are signed in a car deal "closing" are done in a specific order. Part of the reason is - the IMPORTANT STUFF (the small print stuff), is saved for last, when the purchase is so "burnt out" from reading and signing - that they are no longer even really absorbing what's being read/signed at this point. I lost count at 20 signatures, and wasn't even through the title/trade-in paperwork. It's done this way FOR A REASON. No matter WHAT the closer tells you VERBALLY - WHAT YOU SIGN IS WHAT'S ENFORCEABLE UNDER THE LAW. And the CLOSER THEMSELVES probably wasn't told the "psychology behind" why documents are executed in this order - just trained that this is the way you are supposed to do it. BUT THERE IS A PSYCHOLOGY BEHIND IT.

So - for the original poster - as far as the LAW GOES (without passing judgement on your "integrity"), regardless of WHAT YOU WERE TOLD - if he LEGAL DOCUMENT YOU SIGNED says there's a charge for pre-payment (as heinous as a $750 charge appears), the dealer DOES HAVE LEGAL RECOURSE TO COLLECT IT. Whether or not they exercise the option (that is, take it to court to be enforced), beyond a nasty letter demanding payment - remains to be seen.

Rick

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read this post yesterday and it reminded me that we have had a few Fed Rate cuts and it is a great thing to refinance. I refinanced to a 3.23% yesterday and kept my payment the same but cut off 4 months of payments. Thank you to the OP for the reminder that saved me $2,900. IF you don't have a 0% or low interest rate, check it out and see if you can save over when you purchased.

Last edited:

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Does every dealer volunteer the information that they will make some money on the back end, if you do your financing through them? No. Of course not. But, anyone who doesn't go into the negotiation understanding that that is a given is incredibly naive. Saying, "but he didn't actually TELL me" does not give you a license to pretend that it's not part of the total package deal.

My dealer did not say to me "we get a commission on this financing, but only if you make the first 6 payments." I simply asked if I could refinance the next day and he said he would appreciate it if I made the first 6 payments before you did that. My dealer was really good to me in several different ways through my transaction, so I had no problem agreeing to that.

If a dealer out and out told me, as part of the deal (not just after the fact) that I was not allowed to pay it off (or refinance) for the first 90 days or 6 months or whatever - or especially if I signed something to that effect - then I would absolutely feel bound by my word, even if not by law, to honor that.

Stuart appears to be taking the "moral high ground/man of integrity" position in his debate here. And while that is indeed a "high bar/lofty" position to aspire to - we are talking about CAR DEALERSHIPS HERE - who are most often stacked right along with Plumbers and Telemarketers - when it comes to having integrity themselves.

Yes, dealing with a low-life does not make me feel like I can be a low-life, too. Other people are free to wallow with the pigs if they choose to. I choose not to.

However, is every car dealer a low-life scumbag? If you got shafted by 10 dealers in the past, does that make it right for you to shaft a different dealer in the future?

Is it fair to label them all as bad just because of 1 (or 2 or 3) that have shown themselves (to you, personally) to be bad? You sound like the gun-grabbers who want to paint me as some kind of terrorist because I own guns and some other people went and shot up a school.

I have dealt with a lot of dealerships, buying trucks and getting them serviced. All except 1 have treated me very well. Treating them all as if they are scumbags just because 1 of them screwed me over is just not right - in MY book. I am American. I actually BELIEVE in innocent until proven guilty. For me, that applies to everyone, including car dealers.

The dealer I bought my current truck from treated me right during the buying process. I financed through them and I am paying a higher interest rate than what I could have gotten from my credit union. But, the dealer told me up front that the incentives I was getting were contingent on doing that financing through them. They were straight up with me. Until THAT DEALER actually does something sketchy to me, I think it would be wrong of me to say "screw them" and refinance early based on what some other dealer did to me in the past.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think Stuart is the only one with hurt feelings.

Ha! My feelings aren't hurt. I'm not the one complaining about stealerships and trying to go back on something I agreed to when I bought the truck. I am happy with my selling dealer and the dealer I go to for service. And the price I paid and the financing I got. I am all good! :D

Klute

Reaction score
Ha! My feelings aren't hurt. I'm not the one complaining about stealerships and trying to go back on something I agreed to when I bought the truck. I am happy with my selling dealer and the dealer I go to for service. And the price I paid and the financing I got. I am all good! :D

WE KNOW already!

Dontra

Reaction score
You also have to consider that if your payment is $600 a month you are paying about $3000 in interest for that 6 months at 5+ % interest

WW2

Reaction score
You also have to consider that if your payment is $600 a month you are paying about $3000 in interest for that 6 months at 5+ % interest
Thats one hell of an interest rate !!!!!

Dontra

Reaction score
Sorry looked at the wrong schedule. most of your first 6 payments are interest.

RJS

Reaction score
Sorry looked at the wrong schedule. most of your first 6 payments are interest.

Not if you send all but the last 5 payments as the first payment, about $28,000. I borrowed $30500 to finance my 19 Laramie and the finance guy at the dealership suggested I pay it off this way to reduce the interest when I said there not much saving if I just do all 6 checks at 1/6th the total per check. I actually paid it off in two checks as my dealership had not said they wanted me to pay it off in 6 payments, the finance guy just thought that was the minimum without penalty. I paid about $108 in total fees and interest to get the $500 rebate and I think the interest rate was between 6 & 7 %. I figured Chrysler paid me about $200/check to sent them out. It's all good.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
If you are paying $3k in interest the first 6 months you are way above 5% interest rate.

Cortesio

Reaction score
Does every dealer volunteer the information that they will make some money on the back end, if you do your financing through them? No. Of course not. But, anyone who doesn't go into the negotiation understanding that that is a given is incredibly naive. Saying, "but he didn't actually TELL me" does not give you a license to pretend that it's not part of the total package deal.

My dealer did not say to me "we get a commission on this financing, but only if you make the first 6 payments." I simply asked if I could refinance the next day and he said he would appreciate it if I made the first 6 payments before you did that. My dealer was really good to me in several different ways through my transaction, so I had no problem agreeing to that.

If a dealer out and out told me, as part of the deal (not just after the fact) that I was not allowed to pay it off (or refinance) for the first 90 days or 6 months or whatever - or especially if I signed something to that effect - then I would absolutely feel bound by my word, even if not by law, to honor that.

Yes, dealing with a low-life does not make me feel like I can be a low-life, too. Other people are free to wallow with the pigs if they choose to. I choose not to.

However, is every car dealer a low-life scumbag? If you got shafted by 10 dealers in the past, does that make it right for you to shaft a different dealer in the future?

Is it fair to label them all as bad just because of 1 (or 2 or 3) that have shown themselves (to you, personally) to be bad? You sound like the gun-grabbers who want to paint me as some kind of terrorist because I own guns and some other people went and shot up a school.

I have dealt with a lot of dealerships, buying trucks and getting them serviced. All except 1 have treated me very well. Treating them all as if they are scumbags just because 1 of them screwed me over is just not right - in MY book. I am American. I actually BELIEVE in innocent until proven guilty. For me, that applies to everyone, including car dealers.

The dealer I bought my current truck from treated me right during the buying process. I financed through them and I am paying a higher interest rate than what I could have gotten from my credit union. But, the dealer told me up front that the incentives I was getting were contingent on doing that financing through them. They were straight up with me. Until THAT DEALER actually does something sketchy to me, I think it would be wrong of me to say "screw them" and refinance early based on what some other dealer did to me in the past.

We’re on the same page. I gladly ended up paying a couple thousand more for my truck at the dealership I did because they treated me well. I’m with you 100% that it’s a scummy move to reneg on a deal you agreed to where the dealer told you the price or discounts were contingent on doing financing or whatever else that got them a kickback.

I would feel no obligation to do the same for a dealer that treated me like they were giving me some great deal to hide that they were making something on the back end to make up for it. It’s all about the communication. If they tell me I need to hold their financing for a few months I’ll gladly oblige. I’m not going to make it my problem to figure out how I can protect their money with my truck when they don’t tell me up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAMA RAMMER

Reaction score
My dealer gave me a 5.2% rate through a third party lender. This with a ~800 credit score.
Think I felt bad for re-financing? Not for a millisecond.
My credit union even gave me a "new vehicle" rate. Said that people do this all the time.
And make no mistake... the dealer will bend you over at every available opportunity. I feel exactly zero remorse, getting a break whenever/however I can.
I got a pre approved loan from M&T Bank for 3.59% rate for 60 months with a 814 score and then gave the dealership a chance to beat it or match it to help them make a few bucks off the finance, but they couldn’t ! Anyhow, I paid $35519(plus tax) on a new 2019 Bighorn CrewCab 4x4 HEMI with a sticker price of $50660 ! 9k down and $523 a month ! Very happy with this new truck and price paid !

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those that didn't use the FCA financing what is the best rate you got? I Refinanced from 3.74% to 3.23% yesterday and wondered what others are getting?

Users who are viewing this thread