5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone ever install front tow hooks?

Reaction score
My particular model (Lone Star, which is the Texas version of a Big Horn) didn't come with front tow hooks and I was wondering how hard it would be to get some and install them myself.

2023RAM1.jpg

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is very easy - lots of threads on this and many helpful videos on you tube. You just need to buy the tow hook kit from mopar that has the hooks and additional bolt and you need the different plastic piece to replace the solid plastic currently installed. You can buy the hooks in black or chrome. I've installed 3 times and removed twice as I swapped between 3 trucks. Probably about a 2hr job your 1st time.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have part numbers, but these babies go on soon. They've been in my garage for 9 months. Shame on me. I did the ditch lights Saturday though :) 20230528_211509.jpg

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's part numbers for chrome hooks. If you have the active air dam it gets in the way and hinders instalation a bit but not too bad.
And I used a visegrips to hold the long bolt while beating it out.

Screenshot_20230214_193708_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think even if they rarely get used they are a good investment for getting unstuck and they just make the truck look better.
I agree. You never know when you’re gonna need it and adds to the front grill appeal. That and fogs. I think the delete panels are hideous.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think it makes the front end much better/tougher. Watch the Ram commercials, every single truck they show has towhooks except the truck they offer the deal on at the end. Also plugged up the license bolt holes. 20230522_122841.jpg

demonspeed

Reaction score
The one thing that will frustrate anyone the first time they go to install them is removing the foot-long bolt with the hidden retainer washer that you have to use the "clamp and smack" method to get it out of the frame. Besides that it is a super easy installation. I would like to know who signed off at Ram to build a 4x4 and not include tow hooks. :rolleyes:

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The one thing that will frustrate anyone the first time they go to install them is removing the foot-long bolt with the hidden retainer washer that you have to use the "clamp and smack" method to get it out of the frame. Besides that it is a super easy installation. I would like to know who signed off at Ram to build a 4x4 and not include tow hooks. :rolleyes:
It's a trick to get you to buy a more expensive package or even model to get them.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Easier to just hold the bolt and continue "loosening" it with the impact. It will thread right out. No need to hit anything

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Easier to just hold the bolt and continue "loosening" it with the impact. It will thread right out. No need to hit anything
No room for that with active air dam. You must grab the bolt higher up with visegrips and let the head of the bolt bend the rubber air dam on the way down as you are beating on it. It is not hard at all to hit them out, clip is quite soft and gives up easily.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No room for that with active air dam. You must grab the bolt higher up with visegrips and let the head of the bolt bend the rubber air dam on the way down as you are beating on it. It is not hard at all to hit them out, clip is quite soft and gives up easily.
I will admit, my AAD was broken off when I was messing with the bolts.

hockeyboy

Reaction score
My truck did not come from factory with tow hooks. I bought the factory hooks, and the tow hook bezels. The tow hook bezels that Mopar lists on their parts chart for my 22 Ram 1500 Bighorn. All the suppliers I shopped had the same parts list. They do not fit; they're over an inch shorter in length from side to side. How on Earth is this possible? Doing some digging, I found someone else had the same issue and had a different part number. I searched the part number on the suppliers. They also list that part as fitting a 22 Ram 1500 Bighorn. Different parts, Mopar claims they both fit the same application. Baffling

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The computer only parts lookup sucks. I don't know if the dealers actually have access to a different system, but the online parts lists Are nowhere near accurate. It's just as bad as the build web site. They need to fire all there tech employees, and find someone competent. I have searched things before, entring exeactly what I wanted, and it brings up other parts. Someone was on another thread looking for chrome trailer mirrors. They are not in the parts book. Dealer said they only had black. I said chrome is an option, they have to have them. Nowhere in any Stellantis site. I found them for him on Amazon. OEM with Stellantis part numbers. I have digital copies of the old printed parts manuals, and every part is listed, even non-serviceable items.

Mystic Rhythms

Reaction score
My truck did not come from factory with tow hooks. I bought the factory hooks, and the tow hook bezels. The tow hook bezels that Mopar lists on their parts chart for my 22 Ram 1500 Bighorn. All the suppliers I shopped had the same parts list. They do not fit; they're over an inch shorter in length from side to side. How on Earth is this possible? Doing some digging, I found someone else had the same issue and had a different part number. I searched the part number on the suppliers. They also list that part as fitting a 22 Ram 1500 Bighorn. Different parts, Mopar claims they both fit the same application. Baffling

From about 2001 - 2008 I had a '66 Mustang.
My starter went out eventually.
I was a member of a Mustang forum and there were many people there saying that all the parts shops had the starters wrong. If you had a manual you had to tell them it was an automatic and vice versa.
I trusted the people on the forum far more than the guy behind the counter at Schuck's so it all worked out OK for me.
So if they can have a mistake in the parts books for 40 years I guess it isn't too surprising that Ram can't get it right.
Still pretty disappointing.

Gipraw

Reaction score

It’s easier to just take the AAD off, imo. Four 10mm bolts take two minutes to pull, then you have a straight shot at the bolts, and also at the bezel. There is also no need to pry the old bezel out. Take some snips or thin dykes, and cut the two nubs above the metal tab and then punch them out through the front with your dykes after you remove the top bolts. Takes 30 seconds to remove with no damage to the metal. Just make sure the new bezels are correct first.

Attachments

• IMG_4206.jpeg
    IMG_4206.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4205.jpeg
    IMG_4205.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4210.jpeg
    IMG_4210.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4208.jpeg
    IMG_4208.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 52

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s easier to just take the AAD off, imo. Four 10mm bolts take two minutes to pull, then you have a straight shot at the bolts, and also at the bezel. There is also no need to pry the old bezel out. Take some snips or thin dykes, and cut the two nubs above the metal tab and then punch them out through the front with your dykes after you remove the top bolts. Takes 30 seconds to remove with no damage to the metal. Just make sure the new bezels are correct first.
Now you tell me. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread