5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone encounter this transmission issue?

K921

Reaction score
Its a 2019 ram 1500 5.7, occasionally it will “stick” in gear and wont upshift. Very strange. Before it gets mentioned, no i am not accidentally hitting the gear limit. Ill have to manually upshift to fix it or pull over and put it in park then back to drive.

Is this something a tcm update would potentially fix? Or am i ****ed lol? Out of warranty by about 20k btw, unfortunately.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Its a 2019 ram 1500 5.7, occasionally it will “stick” in gear and wont upshift. Very strange. Before it gets mentioned, no i am not accidentally hitting the gear limit. Ill have to manually upshift to fix it or pull over and put it in park then back to drive.

Is this something a tcm update would potentially fix? Or am i ****ed lol? Out of warranty by about 20k btw, unfortunately.
You can't manually up shift in an oem ram unless it's a GT model.
Sounds like you are having a software problem, TCM reflash could possibly fix it.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Could be several things, your powertrain is 5 years / 60K, just want to be clear on that.

If so I would get it diagnosed properly, it could low fluid or a solenoid, from cheap to expensive. I would find a good independent transmissions shop very familiar with the ZF8. As Darksteel mentions, you can't manually upshift the transmission, just limit what gear it will stay at. Having reset after putting in park then back to drive sounds like gear limit system, maybe it's software.

K921

Reaction score
You can't manually up shift in an oem ram unless it's a GT model.
Sounds like you are having a software problem, TCM reflash could possibly fix it.
Really? Idk then but when the transmission sticks like that ill hit the + gear and it will kick up, at least thats what it appears to do lol.

Thanks for the suggestions guy, im going to take it in and see what they can do. Hopefully just a software thing. No other issues at all with the truck in 4 years thankfully, ive always been against getting the first year production of any car but the interior of this new gen laramie is so nice i had to buy it 😂

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Really? Idk then but when the transmission sticks like that ill hit the + gear and it will kick up, at least thats what it appears to do lol.

Thanks for the suggestions guy, im going to take it in and see what they can do. Hopefully just a software thing. No other issues at all with the truck in 4 years thankfully, ive always been against getting the first year production of any car but the interior of this new gen laramie is so nice i had to buy it 😂
If you hit the + and it shifts it's 100% a software problem.
I don't know 100% if it's the TCM firmware but imo I would pay the dealership whatever their rate is and just tell them to re-flash the current firmware for the TCM for your truck (it's likely a newer firmware anyways which is fine)
It should only take 10 minutes, 15 if they are slow so I don't think it should cost an arm and a leg.

vincentw56

Reaction score

I've had this happen a few times, but it eventually shifts. It's not happened enough for me to be concerned. In the 3.5 years I've had it, I'd say maybe 6 or 7 times.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I've had this happen a few times, but it eventually shifts. It's not happened enough for me to be concerned. In the 3.5 years I've had it, I'd say maybe 6 or 7 times.

Not to alarm you too much, but that would concern me. I haven't ever once experienced a single example of this, I would at least have it checked out or noted by the dealership if still under warranty. Maybe crawl underneath and make sure there isn't an obvious leak.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Not to alarm you too much, but that would concern me. I haven't ever once experienced a single example of this, I would at least have it checked out or noted by the dealership if still under warranty. Maybe crawl underneath and make sure there isn't an obvious leak.
If it happened more often or didn't shift at all, it would concern me more. And I've been under my truck enough to know there isn't a leak. And nothing on the driveway either. It could have also been something with my Pulsar since it had a few issues. Guess time will tell.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

So you have 80k miles on the truck?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All the steering wheel shift buttons do is establish the top gear limit. If you manually put it in 5th gear, it should still automatically shift up and down from 1st to 5th but not go above 5th gear. If you are going 60 mph and use those buttons to select 2nd gear, it will not downshift into second gear until you reduce a speed suitable for the transmission to automatically shift into 2nd gear.

If it seems to be shifting fine with the steering wheel buttons it's probably a software issue rather than a mechanical issue with the transmission.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Now, if I could actually change the software where shifting up actually made the transmission shift up, I would be very interested in that.

We have one of the best automatics in the World, our particular spec ZF8 is in some very sporting cars, it's a bit of a shame we can't (non GT Trim) use it a bit more.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Now, if I could actually change the software where shifting up actually made the transmission shift up, I would be very interested in that.
There is a company that makes a module that allows that. Someone posted it s few days ago. Can't remember exactly what the name was. It was $500 and didn't do very much, but making the gear limiter buttons work as manual shifters was the main thing that caught my eye

SD Rebel

Reaction score
There is a company that makes a module that allows that. Someone posted it s few days ago. Can't remember exactly what the name was. It was $500 and didn't do very much, but making the gear limiter buttons work as manual shifters was the main thing that caught my eye

AWESOME!!!

Daverous

Reaction score
Primarily known within the ecodiesel owners group for a great tuning operation, but they do offer this. It does what you’re looking for and I’ve had it installed on my truck since beta testing a couple years back. Only gotten better over the years with consistent free software updates and great customer service. I’m not sponsored by them, but many of us have used them a long time and trust their work. It’s what I’ll be using with the paddle shift setup I’m putting together right now as well, except I have the diesel version, obviously.

Ram 1500 Hemi Transmission Tune - Green Diesel Engineering

Slightly off topic I guess, but not really.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

We have one of the best automatics in the World, our particular spec ZF8 is in some very sporting cars, it's a bit of a shame we can't (non GT Trim) use it a bit more.
You can change it if you want.
I changed the firmware on my TCM and I can shift manually, I don't have an GT.
Shifting manually is nice, but it does not shift like a sports car, very delayed shifting and ez to hit the rev limiter unless you shift at least 500 RPMs under it.
It's not for the faint as heart.
Never heard of that.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Primarily known within the ecodiesel owners group for a great tuning operation, but they do offer this. It does what you’re looking for and I’ve had it installed on my truck since beta testing a couple years back. Only gotten better over the years with consistent free software updates and great customer service. I’m not sponsored by them, but many of us have used them a long time and trust their work. It’s what I’ll be using with the paddle shift setup I’m putting together right now as well, except I have the diesel version, obviously.

Ram 1500 Hemi Transmission Tune - Green Diesel Engineering

Slightly off topic I guess, but not really.

Thanks for the link! Not legal in California, but that generally means nothing since no smog test on my truck until 2028 and they don't do inspections anyways. Doesn't say it won't ship to Cali, just your normal warnings to protect themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread