5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone elses Ram make this noise?

JLaw297

Reaction score
Does anyone else's 5th gen Ram 1500 make the "grind" noise as heard in the video right at 6 seconds when accelerating from a prolonged stop? Seems to only do it if I come to stop a sit for 15 seconds or more vs if I come to a full stop and immediately take back off it won't do it.

Is there some solenoid in the trans or something that's reactivating after sitting idle for a minute at a stop light? It's most noticeable accelerating from a light next to another car with windows down or next to a wall. Transmission acts completely normal in its operation, no shuddering or anything weird. I've tried tow haul as well and no change.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

What engine do you have (and eTorque yay/nay?)? If you fill out your signature with details on your truck, like many of us do, that will help us help you more.

JLaw297

Reaction score
Thanks, signature filled out. It has the 5.7 V8, no eTorque or start stop.. thankfully!

Runagun

Reaction score
No but Mine makes a vroom noise when I give it throttle from a stop light.... 😁

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone else's 5th gen Ram 1500 make the "grind" noise as heard in the video right at 6 seconds when accelerating from a prolonged stop? Seems to only do it if I come to stop a sit for 15 seconds or more vs if I come to a full stop and immediately take back off it won't do it.

Is there some solenoid in the trans or something that's reactivating after sitting idle for a minute at a stop light? It's most noticeable accelerating from a light next to another car with windows down or next to a wall. Transmission acts completely normal in its operation, no shuddering or anything weird. I've tried tow haul as well and no change.

Dumb question but the air dam is supposed to extend around 35 mph...could it be yours is extending earlier (or you are getting up to that speed in six seconds) and it is the air dam deploying? Perhaps check it to see if there is something caught up in there...

JLaw297

Reaction score
Just looked it up, had no idea that was even a thing on this truck. I'll have to check and see! You could be onto something there.

Users who are viewing this thread