5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else ever have their A/C shut down for 20 seconds shortly after startup?

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Twice yesterday my a/c shut down for about 20 seconds not long after I started the truck and then came back on.
The setting was where it always is, Auto @ 72 degrees.
The external temp was reading correctly @90 degrees, so i don't think it was that.
I have the 12.1" Uconnect.
I don't know if it shut completely off or just down to fan setting #1, but it felt like it was off.

PhilBilly

Reaction score
Twice yesterday my a/c shut down for about 20 seconds not long after I started the truck and then came back on.
The external temp was reading correctly @90 degrees, so i don't think it was that.
I don't know if it shut completely off or just down to fan setting #1, but it felt like it was off.
Mine only does in extreme heat conditions (over 95)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine only does in extreme heat conditions (over 95)

Exactly when you don't want it to happen. lol
I notice you have the 8.4 touch screen, so that would rule out the 12.1 being the culprit.

PhilBilly

Reaction score
Exactly when you don't want it to happen. lol
I notice you have the 8.4 touch screen, so that would rule out the 12.1 being the culprit.
Correct, I think it is to keep the evaporator from freezing up, mine only does it a couple of times then just runs normal. BTW I have mine in auto temp control mode 72 degrees and will open the rear window just a bit to purge out the heat.

Techguy2000

Reaction score
Does this sound like what you are experiencing? I had this happen to me once on my 2019 but then didnt bother bringing it in for it. I haven't had my 2020 in the heat much yet so not sure if it's still an issue on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buz

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Weird...never had this happen. Could be a wire issue from the fan control part of the wiring harness/module.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does this sound like what you are experiencing? I had this happen to me once on my 2019 but then didnt bother bringing it in for it. I haven't had my 2020 in the heat much yet so not sure if it's still an issue on this one.

Yes. That’s exactly it.
Love how this has been an issue for 2 years and still nobody has been told what it is. Glad Ram is on it.

TexasDrone

Reaction score
Mine does it occasionally too. I always just press off button or AC button on far right to reactivate it.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn Megacab
2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS
2020 Jayco NorthPoint 382FL

Users who are viewing this thread