5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone consider using the older / larger -899 oil filter on their 2019?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had some laying around from my 4th gen, and looks like it will fit no problem..I know some LS guys like to run the taller filters (the stock ls filter is a tiny as well). I can't think of any reason a larger filter/more media could be bad for an engine, especially if you're running by the oil life monitor and stretching those miles out.

also as a side note, the last time I went to parts counter to get a filter for my 4th gen (I try to use Mopar parts from a dealer when possible) the filter I noticed when I got home was the new-style small one..I put it on my 4th gen and said screw it because I didn't feel like driving back. I wonder if the -899 filter was superseded with the new style small one, for some epa / enviro reason..less oil soaked mass in landfill x10000 trucks

11B4X4

Reaction score
Good question. I used to run a taller filter on my Tacoma for the exact reason of having more filtration surface. I haven't done my first oil change yet, but if there is a larger filter i'd like to run it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had some laying around from my 4th gen, and looks like it will fit no problem..I know some LS guys like to run the taller filters (the stock ls filter is a tiny as well). I can't think of any reason a larger filter/more media could be bad for an engine, especially if you're running by the oil life monitor and stretching those miles out.

also as a side note, the last time I went to parts counter to get a filter for my 4th gen (I try to use Mopar parts from a dealer when possible) the filter I noticed when I got home was the new-style small one..I put it on my 4th gen and said screw it because I didn't feel like driving back. I wonder if the -899 filter was superseded with the new style small one, for some epa / enviro reason..less oil soaked mass in landfill x10000 trucks
I know others have said they've done this, but keep in mind there isn't just a ton of room for getting your hand or filter wrench up there to start with. A larger filter won't help in this regard.

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
... there isn't just a ton of room for getting your hand or filter wrench up there to start with. A larger filter won't help in this regard.
From experience, the larger diameter filter is very difficult to get a Ziploc bag around well enough to prevent getting used engine oil all over that nice, new steering gear housing, and other places (any rubber or plastic) it shouldn't be. And for those with 4x4, there's an important electrical connector right there, too, for the front differential disconnect. I switched back to that tiny OEM filter while I figure an oil filter relocation to install more adequate filtration.

Steve

Last edited:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I run the taller/fatter filter(2011 ram hemi filter) on mine. Tight to get into its spot but very manageable. I feel it’s worth the few minutes more of work.
Granted, I have access to all a shop setting provides. If it was at home garage/driveway setting that may change my mind. It is messy, time and product to throughly clean may get to me.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
I have the a 09 hemi spec'd(fatter and taller) wix 57899XP waiting for my next oil change. picked up a 5 quart penzoil platinum + wix xp for 20$ after MIR from oreileys. 10$ from oreileys+10$ from penzoil.

the one i have on there now is the taller but not fat one from the 2012's and i had zero issue getting it on there. the filter certainly could be in a better spot, but i've dealt with much worse.

i just like the peace of mind of the extra media flowing more, helping prevent it from ever going into bypass when i'm wide open at redline.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
great info guys! thanks for sharing to those of you that are using the larger filters..

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dragging this thread back out into the light. The larger filter 57899XP has a 16 PSI bypass rating while the 57060XP has a 12 PSI bypass. Have any of ya'll found an in between size that works great for removal and also has the higher PSI bypass rating? Or are you good with the 57899XP and plastic bag method after figuring it out?

Orion10182011

Reaction score
If everthing is the same except length then go for it. I used to do that with some Motorcycles I used to have. Found a cross reference for a longer car filter that was compatible.

eyeguy

Reaction score
Is there a list of compatible filters for our 5 gen 5.7 hemi's? I have looked but couldnt find it. Thanks

fridge

Reaction score
Has anyone used the SRT filter (5038041AA) on their Rams? I know a lot of 5.7 Challenger and Charger guys use and recommend them.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone used the SRT filter (5038041AA) on their Rams? I know a lot of 5.7 Challenger and Charger guys use and recommend them.

I used them on my 2014 Ram with the 5.7. No ill effects, worked well. Haven't heard of it being used on a 5th gen yet, but the Hemi is mostly the same as the 4th gen's.

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How will a bigger filter even fit? The current one barely fits in the tight tight cavity its in.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Based on what that article is stating, there seems to be industry consensus that there is plenty of oil filtration capacity with the filters now.

So why open yourself up to potential warranty issues for using a non-approved sized oil filter for a seemingly non-existent problem?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use a M1 for 2011 hemi. Little tight, not bad. Which would be same size as the srt one

BowDown

Reaction score
Here is an interesting read and why I've held off and changing to a larger type filter: https://www.oildepot.ca/use-longer-oil-filter/

Thanks for the link and tge bigger filter is not at all worth the hassle. Just finished cleaning up a mess made trying to use a bigger filter that needed oil filter pliers to tighten. Apparently it weaked the filter in a spot and a week later I had a leak, had too pressure wash the underside of the truck.

Ironically, my LSX powered Z06 uses a M1 -107, about the same size as the factory Ram 5.7 filter. If that size is suitable for a 700hp LSX, its fine for this truck. #notworththehassle

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thanks for the link and tge bigger filter is not at all worth the hassle. Just finished cleaning up a mess made trying to use a bigger filter that needed oil filter pliers to tighten. Apparently it weaked the filter in a spot and a week later I had a leak, had too pressure wash the underside of the truck.

Ironically, my LSX powered Z06 uses a M1 -107, about the same size as the factory Ram 5.7 filter. If that size is suitable for a 700hp LSX, its fine for this truck. #notworththehassle

Yup, absolutely makes sense to me. I noticed something similar when helping a buddy do a DIY oil change on an older Lambo Gallardo he just got. Has a 5.2L V10 and comes with one of the smallest oil filters I've ever seen. It's one of those canister type oil filters, but considering the size of the media, it would be a tiny filter as a screw on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/