5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone come from a 2014-2018 Silverado/Sierra

850rider

Reaction score
Just set the range select to 8th gear, and it shuts off MDS.
That would help cruising on the highway but what about off throttle / low throttle cruising around town at lower speeds ?

2021Reglimj

Reaction score
Long time Chevy user, could not replace 2013 silverado so i got a RAM. Much better that the Chevy.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So you quite literally have to remove your ECM and down the truck to send it in if that’s the method you go ?
Yes. It's only 4 screws if I recall, just without your truck for a few days.
That would help cruising on the highway but what about off throttle / low throttle cruising around town at lower speeds ?
No you misunderstand. When you set range to 8th gear it's not doing anything. It just sets your max gear allowed to shift, and since it's an 8 speed nothing changes.
When the gear is selected MDS isn't allowed to engage so every single time you go into drive and you hit the + 7ish times it will turn off MDS until you go out of fear and need to do it again.

850rider

Reaction score
Yes. It's only 4 screws if I recall, just without your truck for a few days.

No you misunderstand. When you set range to 8th gear it's not doing anything. It just sets your max gear allowed to shift, and since it's an 8 speed nothing changes.
When the gear is selected MDS isn't allowed to engage so every single time you go into drive and you hit the + 7ish times it will turn off MDS until you go out of fear and need to do it again.
Ahh okay so you’re not actually putting the truck into 8th gear? I assumed you meant putting it into the manual shift mode and putting it in 8th gear

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ahh okay so you’re not actually putting the truck into 8th gear? I assumed you meant putting it into the manual shift mode and putting it in 8th gear
Nope these trucks don't have manual shifting mode.
It's a "gear limit" of how high it's allowed to gear in gear.
Setting it to 8 allows gears 1-8, setting it to 4 allows gears 1-4

If you get a truck with the GT Package it includes a electronic console shifter, and paddle shifters, those do shift "manually"

Stinger19

Reaction score
I traded in my 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Ultimate for my current 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. I’ve been a Chevy guy all my life, but have owned a few Dodge vehicles here and there. The GMC was an absolute nightmare. From day 1, I hated the GM 8-speed transmission. The salesman told me that it would learn my driving behavior and smooth out. It had a horrible delay from a dead stop and the seat caused horrible hip pain. It wasn’t until I traded in the truck that I found out the steering wheel on that year was slightly off center which was probably enough to cause my pain. The truck had a vibration on the highway that would not go away no matter what. I had the transmission fluid flushed by the dealer 3 times with no fix. I finally had enough and bought my Ram. The Ram drives like a dream compared to the GMC. The 6.2L engine in the GMC had more power than my Hemi, but I’ll take my Ram over that truck any day.

Marty313

Reaction score
I had an 18 Silverado. I loved it.. only down side I had was the double cab. I have a crew cab with the short *** bed now.. and kind of miss the 6.5 bed on my Silverado.

Attachments

• 4B3DE2DE-8A94-4FDA-B793-9A98ADF9E60A.jpeg
    4B3DE2DE-8A94-4FDA-B793-9A98ADF9E60A.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 19

850rider

Reaction score
Nope these trucks don't have manual shifting mode.
It's a "gear limit" of how high it's allowed to gear in gear.
Setting it to 8 allows gears 1-8, setting it to 4 allows gears 1-4

If you get a truck with the GT Package it includes a electronic console shifter, and paddle shifters, those do shift "manually"
That’s sounds so strange to me? Has dodge done that for a while? Does ford or anyone else do it? What purpose does that really have?

850rider

Reaction score
I traded in my 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Ultimate for my current 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. I’ve been a Chevy guy all my life, but have owned a few Dodge vehicles here and there. The GMC was an absolute nightmare. From day 1, I hated the GM 8-speed transmission. The salesman told me that it would learn my driving behavior and smooth out. It had a horrible delay from a dead stop and the seat caused horrible hip pain. It wasn’t until I traded in the truck that I found out the steering wheel on that year was slightly off center which was probably enough to cause my pain. The truck had a vibration on the highway that would not go away no matter what. I had the transmission fluid flushed by the dealer 3 times with no fix. I finally had enough and bought my Ram. The Ram drives like a dream compared to the GMC. The 6.2L engine in the GMC had more power than my Hemi, but I’ll take my Ram over that truck any day.
Good review to hear. I definitely need to drive one of these new Rams. I noticed you have the E torque. Is that worth getting?

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s sounds so strange to me? Has dodge done that for a while? Does ford or anyone else do it? What purpose does that really have?

Dunno about GM but Ford does does it too, and it’s a brilliant feature all automatics should have. Keeps from lugging the engine, which modern vehicles with EPA-Nazi programming seem to do, and it’s especially helpful when towing where high load + low rpm = trouble my friend. Big trouble.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dunno about GM but Ford does does it too, and it’s a brilliant feature all automatics should have. Keeps from lugging the engine, which modern vehicles with EPA-Nazi programming seem to do, and it’s especially helpful when towing where high load + low rpm = trouble my friend. Big trouble.
GMs trucks do it also.
The gear selector is max gear on Silverados.

ChrisID

Reaction score
Had all GM's since the late 80's, lot of them. 89, 93, 95, 97, 99, 01, 03, 07, 09, 10, 11, 14. some are my wifes tahoes or burbs, but same same. All high trims from SLT to Denali (GMC's). all engines from 5.7 to 6.0, to 6.2, 8.1 (never had the 5.3) They started losing me in 07 when I got the first 6.2-6sp and i hated it. Thought I was getting an amazing drivetrain and it shifted so bad I couldn't take it, 3 computer updates later still sucked. It is my opinion that at this timeframe GM was tuning for mpg, period. I couldn't go up a normal hill without it short shifting to freaking idle or downshifting 2-3 gears to go to race car mode, and back and forth up the hill, every day. My 3rd update finally made it palatable. My 11 6.2-6ps was better, and the 14 6.2-6sp was actually decent, but I still disliked their trans tuning on what should have been great engine performance. I took a break on trucks and picked up a chrysler 18 300 5.7 and enjoyed the heck out of it, and keep a beater ford f150 for truck duties. Worked well for me.
The 300 drivetrain performance was what I was always looking for, and so then I drove a 20 Ram 5.7 and fell in love. Have two of them now, a 20 and 21, and I haven't been this vehicle happy in a long time (probably the 03 gm 6.0 1500HD was my older favorite). The ride was so dam amazing on my 20 and 21 and ditched the 300 and F150 and these Rams are my dailies (different locations).
Best of luck

Stinger19

Reaction score
Good review to hear. I definitely need to drive one of these new Rams. I noticed you have the E torque. Is that worth getting?
Honestly I couldn’t tell you. I haven’t driven any Ram other than the eTorque. The GM 6.2 engine was much stronger off the line even with the eTorque on this engine. Oh I also had a ‘97 Dodge Ram 1500 back in the day with the 360ci engine and that thing was a beast.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck before my 2020 Ram was a 2016 GMC Sierra SLT with 5.3 and 8spd.

Overall the truck was very nice, here are the pros n cons:

Pros
1. Build quality was very good, especially for an American manufacturer, Panel gaps were so straight and consistent, really was satisfying for my OCD
2. Paint job was so smooth and consistent, unlike my previous 2014 Ram
3. Ride was very smooth for a basic setup, the 2019+ GM's got much harsher
4. 5.3 MPG was amazing for a V8
5. The exterior styling/looks, I really feel the 2016-2018 GMC Sierra was one of the best-looking trucks and for the most part it still is the best overall styling, classic and modern at the same time. that is just my opinion, so for whatever that is worth.

Cons
1. By far the biggest annoyance, the 8spd trans was horrible and I mean the worst transmission ever conceived by a manufacturer. It jerked, slammed gear changes, refused downshifts, sever delayed engagement, and shuddered when cruising at slow speeds. The transmission only worked decently under two conditions: the slightest throttle input or WOT, otherwise, it was completely confused about what it should be doing.
2. While the interior was built very nicely, the material choices where somewhat cheap
3. No rear seat A/C vents, like really this was very substandard as both Ram and Ford had rear A/C vents.

Hope that helps.

My 2020 Ram has been pretty good with only a few little issues, but the cabin space is so much better than Ford or GM. Where it could use some improvement is the overall build quality and assembly. I had to adjust my doors and hood.....

Last edited:

RC Turner

Reaction score
We have all become way to spoiled with our trucks. All of them are very good compared to the old days. Things like the fancy radios with wireless interfaces to useless social media have nothing to do with the goodness of the vehicle. My first truck was a perfect example of base functionality. It was a 1971 Datsun. No power steering, No power brakes. Almost no power. No air. Almost no heat and it rode like it had no suspension. I loved it and have considered buying another one if I could find it. Unfortunately most have been converted to beer cans by now.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
We have all become way to spoiled with our trucks. All of them are very good compared to the old days. Things like the fancy radios with wireless interfaces to useless social media have nothing to do with the goodness of the vehicle. My first truck was a perfect example of base functionality. It was a 1971 Datsun. No power steering, No power brakes. Almost no power. No air. Almost no heat and it rode like it had no suspension. I loved it and have considered buying another one if I could find it. Unfortunately most have been converted to beer cans by now.
Spoiled?
My trucks MSPR was 80k. I paid for all those "fancy features"
In the old day trucks cost way less then cars so I don't thinkg thats a fair comparison.

Also what does "social media" have anything to do with the trucks?
There's no built in Facebook in my truck...

There's nothing wrong with getting truck to work in AND for play. Some people don't want to own and pay for multiple vehicles and would rather just get 1 good car\truck

Jusaplaya

Reaction score
I came from 2015 chevy silverado crew with 5.3 with 4x4 z71 package. It was a good truck. A/c condenser went out at 40k miles. Driver seat always moved when turning a corner. From day I bought to day I traded. The headlights were not very good. The trailer brake going off randomly and I wanted a higher trim package truck is reason I traded. I traded it at 100k miles for 2022 ram laramie. One more thing that annoyed me was the brake booster pump because of 4 cylinder mode. I can't tell you how many times my brakes went to floor in stop and go traffic. It was down right scary. I would have to throw it in neutral and Rev throttle to get a decent brake pedal. Also transmission would get confused from 3 to 2 when down shifting sometimes.

Last edited:

brian.brabeau

Reaction score
Traded in my 2018 Sierra with the 6.2 for a 22 Laramie GT. I actually loved the GMC except for the transmission, which was the reason I traded it. The Ram's interior and 8 speed blows away the GM, but I think the Sierra looked better, better quality paint, and towed much better. The 6.2 is definitely the more powerful engine and would blow the doors off my ram, even with 3.92 gears. The 6.2 actually got much better mpgs than my ram. I have no regrets though, love my ram! Wish they would give us the 6.4 as an option. I will test drive the new 500 hp 6 cylinder when it comes out!

brian.brabeau

Reaction score
Traded in my 2018 Sierra with the 6.2 for a 22 Laramie GT. I actually loved the GMC except for the transmission, which was the reason I traded it. The Ram's interior and 8 speed blows away the GM, but I think the Sierra looked better, better quality paint, and towed much better. The 6.2 is definitely the more powerful engine and would blow the doors off my ram, even with 3.92 gears. The 6.2 actually got much better mpgs than my ram. I have no regrets though, love my ram! Wish they would give us the 6.4 as an option. I will test drive the new 500 hp 6 cylinder when it comes out!

Attachments

• 20210927_154603.jpg
    20210927_154603.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220716_193810.jpg
    20220716_193810.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 18

Users who are viewing this thread