5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone come from a 2014-2018 Silverado/Sierra

850rider

Reaction score
Hey everyone always been more of a Chevy / GMC truck guy but I’ve liked these new rams since they came out. My 2016 Sierra all terrain is starting to get up there in miles and I’ve been considering a new ram. Wondering if anyone has direct experience here

RC Turner

Reaction score
I had a 14 and a 16 Silverado. Loved both of them. Have had 96, 98,03 and 2020 Ram. I like them as well or better.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My experience with GM has been that they make awful vehicles. Going from a Silverado to Ram will be a major upgrade. More power, better transmission, more towing capacity, much nicer interior, better overall design for maintenance and repair, more features, just a better truck inside and out.

Sixshooter54

Reaction score
I came from a 2016 GMC Denali 1500. I have a 21 Laramie 1500. Loved my Denali with all of the bells and whistles, but really like the body and powertrain of the Ram. Miss the ACC and Blindspot detection of the GM. With the latest interior upgrades on the GM, may be going back in the future.

850rider

Reaction score
I had a leased 14 Silverado LTZ a leased 16 Silverado LTZ and now this 16 Sierra All terrain which I own and liked all the trucks. Not a fan of the 19-21 Silverados and sierras and it also seems like there build quality has suffered. My uncle recently bought a 2017 Ram big horn which I took for a quick spin nice truck. I wouldn’t say I necessarily prefer it to my Sierra though. And I’ve driven some low end Ram classic work trucks with the v6 which I didn’t really care for and it seemed to have a terribly bad turning radius. I had a 95 Ram 2500 Cummins like 10 years ago that was a complete piece of junk but I liked it 😂

850rider

Reaction score
I came from a 2016 GMC Denali 1500. I have a 21 Laramie 1500. Loved my Denali with all of the bells and whistles, but really like the body and powertrain of the Ram. Miss the ACC and Blindspot detection of the GM. With the latest interior upgrades on the GM, may be going back in the future.
Was the Denali you had a 6.2? How does the Rams power compare ? I’ve got the 5.3 in my Sierra but I also have a custom tune for 93 octane done on it that gets rid of the AFM as well so my truck is a little more stout than a stock 5.3 I couldn’t really notice a difference in power between my truck and my uncles 2017 big horn

cliffsta

Reaction score
Traded in a 18 LT Z71 to order my 23 Rebel. My FIL is on his second 5th gen. Both Big Horns. Both nicer than my Z71 sad to say. Been a Chevy guy my entire life. Hope that my Rebel gives me many miles and is as much fun as my Chevy was.

magnetized

Reaction score
I had 01 and 04 Silverados and was a diehard Chevy guy, then I bought a 15 and that changed. Between the chevy shake, eating an AC compressor at 37K miles, and stories of dropping lifters with that gen small block, I came to RAM and have no regrets thus far. I do think that the 14-15 Silverado was one of the best looking trucks made in the past 30 years, but after the gmt800, I think they have lost their way when it comes to QAQC.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had a 2018 Silverado LT.
2012 Camaro 45th 2SS edition
and I still own a 2013 GMC Acadia Denali

Tech and interior wise the Ram is way better. then any. The Denali is close but maybe comparing a 2013 to a 2022 isn't fair

Quality seems slightly better on the Silverado (my Ram's speaker grates are pushed in the first week I got it because they used some really thin metal)

The Silverado's 5.3L is way faster off the line with no lag.
The 5.7 Hemi seems to be faster overall, but there are some electronics or something weird that give it weird lag no matter what device or tune you install (I have a 93 tune, and a sprintbooster and it will still lag if I am slowing down for say a yield sign and then go, enough that I have almost caused at least 5 accidents)

AC seats in a Chevy\GMC blow the socks off when compared with a Ram as the Ram's AC seats suck.

I’ve got the 5.3 in my Sierra but I also have a custom tune for 93 octane done on it that gets rid of the AFM as well so my truck is a little more stout than a stock 5.3 I couldn’t really notice a difference in power between my truck and my uncles 2017 big horn
On my 5.3 I had a tune for 87, in city driving it seems better then the Ram. The Ram feels like it has more power once you are already moving.
To tune a new Ram you need to get your ECM unlocked which if you send yours out costs $200 alone, then you can turn off the Ram's version of AFM. You can also tune start-stop off completely, or give it memory (to not reset to on every time you start your truck) for $100

The Ram's exhaust also sounds better (even with the same exhaust on both trucks).

Even with the different pros\cons I wouldn't go back to GM anytime soon, would likely go the Toyota route if I end(ed) up not liking Ram.

2bigalow

Reaction score
Owned several GM vehicles of the years, not because of band loyalty, but rather I just liked their exterior and interior design. My last GM truck was a 2016 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 4X4, unfortunately I never bond with it. Specifically the shifting patterns and transmission clunk when transitioning from off gas to on gas around corners and in stop and go traffic. I made several at attempts to correct the problem with various tunes ect.., but could never get it just right. My Dad also owns a 2014 GMC truck and experienced the same issues. Its really a shame, GM makes a great truck, but they lack in the driver experience category. I ended up trading in my truck for a 2020 RAM Laramie 4x4 and couldn't be happier. Shifts EXCELLENT, lots of power, interior layout is beautiful and drives like a Cadillac (my wife's car).

850rider

Reaction score
I had a 2018 Silverado LT.
2012 Camaro 45th 2SS edition
and I still own a 2013 GMC Acadia Denali

Tech and interior wise the Ram is way better. then any. The Denali is close but maybe comparing a 2013 to a 2022 isn't fair

Quality seems slightly better on the Silverado (my Ram's speaker grates are pushed in the first week I got it because they used some really thin metal)

The Silverado's 5.3L is way faster off the line with no lag.
The 5.7 Hemi seems to be faster overall, but there are some electronics or something weird that give it weird lag no matter what device or tune you install (I have a 93 tune, and a sprintbooster and it will still lag if I am slowing down for say a yield sign and then go, enough that I have almost caused at least 5 accidents)

AC seats in a Chevy\GMC blow the socks off when compared with a Ram as the Ram's AC seats suck.

On my 5.3 I had a tune for 87, in city driving it seems better then the Ram. The Ram feels like it has more power once you are already moving.
To tune a new Ram you need to get your ECM unlocked which if you send yours out costs $200 alone, then you can turn off the Ram's version of AFM. You can also tune start-stop off completely, or give it memory (to not reset to on every time you start your truck) for $100

The Ram's exhaust also sounds better (even with the same exhaust on both trucks).

Even with the different pros\cons I wouldn't go back to GM anytime soon, would likely go the Toyota route if I end(ed) up not liking Ram.
Is AFM known to cause the same problems in the Rams that it does on the GMs ?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is it simple to tune out?
The ECMs are locked on the Ram.
So you either need to purchase a tuner + ECM swap for around $700, or if you already have a tuner (I have an i3 Diablosport) it's $200 to send in your ECM and have it "unlocked" to tune.

MDS (AFM) and Auto start-stop are both options you can turn on or off on any tune EXACTLY as you would turn of AFM.

Obviously the same thing goes you still have MDS parts such as lifters etc unless you physically swap out parts.

If you are looking for a custom tune, expect to spend around $300 minimum for the ECM and another $100 for the tranny.

850rider

Reaction score
The ECMs are locked on the Ram.
So you either need to purchase a tuner + ECM swap for around $700, or if you already have a tuner (I have an i3 Diablosport) it's $200 to send in your ECM and have it "unlocked" to tune.

MDS (AFM) and Auto start-stop are both options you can turn on or off on any tune EXACTLY as you would turn of AFM.

Obviously the same thing goes you still have MDS parts such as lifters etc unless you physically swap out parts.

If you are looking for a custom tune, expect to spend around $300 minimum for the ECM and another $100 for the tranny.
So you quite literally have to remove your ECM and down the truck to send it in if that’s the method you go ?

db9

Reaction score
I came from a '21 Silverado RST

Sixshooter54

Reaction score
Was the Denali you had a 6.2? How does the Rams power compare ? I’ve got the 5.3 in my Sierra but I also have a custom tune for 93 octane done on it that gets rid of the AFM as well so my truck is a little more stout than a stock 5.3 I couldn’t really notice a difference in power between my truck and my uncles 2017 big horn
My Denali had the 5.3. Seat of the pants feel, is that the Ram is quicker. I have 3.92 gears and 0 to 60 is quicker in the Ram. I bought mine when Ram some of the tech options weren't available because of the chip shortage. Overall, I am very happy with my Ram. I do like the dash update on the new GM's though.

850rider

Reaction score
My Denali had the 5.3. Seat of the pants feel, is that the Ram is quicker. I have 3.92 gears and 0 to 60 is quicker in the Ram. I bought mine when Ram some of the tech options weren't available because of the chip shortage. Overall, I am very happy with my Ram. I do like the dash update on the new GM's though.
Yea the new interiors on the GMs was way overdue exterior looks better as well I didn’t really care for the 19-21s

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online