5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone attempt the squeaky rear brakes themselves?

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have not and I don't think too many people are "out of warranty" on them to do it themselves yet.

Mine were squeaking and my dealership changed the pads. Right after they changed the pads I took the truck to the back roads and bedded the brakes. Not the perfect condition (still had the original rotors with 9K miles on them) but at least I had new pads. It's a lot better but there's a little squeaking here and there.

Don't quote me but I think the brakes are only covered for the first year (and 12K miles maybe?). I'm under the year but over the miles so the next time I go in it will be on my list to see if they will revisit the squeak.

Moans are not just the 1st year -- as there are STAR CASES on them (in reverse that is).

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Moans are not just the 1st year -- as there are STAR CASES on them (in reverse that is).
You need to get that addressed early (at least for the first time). You might find a friendly dealership but brakes are only covered for the first 12K miles.

Mine took 3 visits to (mostly) fix. Whether my dealership was "friendly" or the fact that the first time I brought it in for the brake issue was before 12K miles I'm not sure.

I've still got some squeal on occasion (it's been coming back more recently) but I don't have any issues with brake performance, wear, or excessive dusting. It's not worth paying the dealership full price to take another stab at it since I've run out of TSBs for them to perform. Unless there's an issue in performance I'll wait it out and resolve the problem with better pads when it's time to replace them.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You need to get that addressed early (at least for the first time). You might find a friendly dealership but brakes are only covered for the first 12K miles.

Mine took 3 visits to (mostly) fix. Whether my dealership was "friendly" or the fact that the first time I brought it in for the brake issue was before 12K miles I'm not sure.

I've still got some squeal on occasion (it's been coming back more recently) but I don't have any issues with brake performance, wear, or excessive dusting. It's not worth paying the dealership full price to take another stab at it since I've run out of TSBs for them to perform. Unless there's an issue in performance I'll wait it out and resolve the problem with better pads when it's time to replace them.
A little over a year (19K miles) after taking delivery I started to get the brake moan when backing. At the time my dealer's tech. had already seen a few cases of this. Pads (68412364AB) and rotors (68237065AA) were ordered and later installed. I know there was a revised pad issued but I can't confirm at the moment if the enclosed part number is that pad.

Anyway, the moan went away for about 12K miles, but eventually returned. I think the anti-moan kit was issued after my August 2019 repair. The moan seems to only rear its ugly head when backing after a rain or high moisture situation, so I've let it go. Actually, the moan seems to come and go, even after an overnight rain. I haven't heard it in quite some time and we've had lots of rain in the last couple of weeks.

My two previous Rams went over 100K miles and I never replaced brakes, so I may live with the occasional moan for a while.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 05304463 miles.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I could get mine to temp. go away by applying the parking brake and releasing while holding in reverse. After I added the TSB brackets, it has never returned.

dotScott

Reaction score
Can I ask what you paid to have the rear brake service done? I was just quoted $750 by the dealership. Seems extremely high.

Users who are viewing this thread