5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone’s front driveshaft break?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Basically stock truck with highway tires, 22k miles, and I baby it. We had some snow here, in my driveway, started it up, pushed 4x4, and about a 50 feet later, marbles in coffee can. It’s been working great and smoothly up until now. No idea why this happened. Found some folks on the facebook group with failures too, one guy said his failed at 10k miles. Wondering how widespread or if it’s a fluke. I’m familiar with the 4x4 system, I own several ram trucks, of different years, and even my plow truck, the front driveshaft went well over 100k

Attachments

• 8E10E6EA-0BEF-482C-8743-1E41184388A2.jpeg
    8E10E6EA-0BEF-482C-8743-1E41184388A2.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 72

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3e796d0e736c3b603af4d9a8ed0e34da.jpg

Since it was basically falling off anyway, I just removed it and drove it to the dealer. Couldn’t schedule a Chrysler roadside tow, because they use local contractors and I “wasn’t in distress on the side of the road” and they had a high number of emergency calls.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow that’s crazy. I have a buddy with a 2019 that I’ve seen redline his truck in 4 high on the lakes pulling his fish house cause he was stuck. I’ve seen him do this a handful of times and he’s never had a problem. Never even had the 4wd over heat issue that some people have had

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Could you tell if it was missing any bolts/nuts?
There was a June 2019 recall for the rear driveshafts failing but I haven't found anything for the front...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Basically stock truck with highway tires, 22k miles, and I baby it. We had some snow here, in my driveway, started it up, pushed 4x4, and about a 50 feet later, marbles in coffee can. It’s been working great and smoothly up until now. No idea why this happened. Found some folks on the facebook group with failures too, one guy said his failed at 10k miles. Wondering how widespread or if it’s a fluke. I’m familiar with the 4x4 system, I own several ram trucks, of different years, and even my plow truck, the front driveshaft went well over 100k
Um....no. This is the first I've heard of this!

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bolts were all tight, and you have to drop the front sway bar to make room to drop the shaft. Still it’s a 2 minutes job for a 15mm socket. I found several people with failed front shafts, some guys have 2021’s with like 2-4K miles. One guy has a rebel and is on his 3rd replacement. Other people say they do donuts and drag launches in 4hi on dry asphalt and no issues.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Bolts were all tight, and you have to drop the front sway bar to make room to drop the shaft. Still it’s a 2 minutes job for a 15mm socket. I found several people with failed front shafts, some guys have 2021’s with like 2-4K miles. One guy has a rebel and is on his 3rd replacement. Other people say they do donuts and drag launches in 4hi on dry asphalt and no issues.
Very weird... (I mean that info, as well as myself).

Users who are viewing this thread