5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody using a sealer when installing their mufflers?

VaBeachRam

Reaction score
I ordered my exhaust this past weekend and going to be installing it tonight or tomorrow. I saw one guy on here had used the Permatex ultra copper hi temp sealer between the two pipes under the clamp. I've always heard clamps are terrible for exhausts and they need to be welded to ensure no leaks, but that really defeats the purpose of buying this kit in my opinion. Have y'all found it necessary to put some type of hi temp gasket where the clamp goes or is it able to tighten down enough to prevent leaks? Thank you.

ram!TH@rd

Reaction score
Using sealer for a bolt in kit is first for me. I've done tons of exhaust swaps for years on my cars and never used any sealer.. The clamps seem adequate enough when tightening down BUT I decided to apply sealer anyway since I had some laying around. I couldn't tell you if there's any difference as I don't pay much attention to it. Do you need it? Not really, but if you have an open tube laying around just toss a light coat.. Can't hurt

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I ordered my exhaust this past weekend and going to be installing it tonight or tomorrow. I saw one guy on here had used the Permatex ultra copper hi temp sealer between the two pipes under the clamp. I've always heard clamps are terrible for exhausts and they need to be welded to ensure no leaks, but that really defeats the purpose of buying this kit in my opinion. Have y'all found it necessary to put some type of hi temp gasket where the clamp goes or is it able to tighten down enough to prevent leaks? Thank you.
I was one of those that used Permatex.
I’d recommend doing this. It would be a bummer spending time and effort, and then having to do the work over again to add sealant because of a leak. Your call. Sealant is cheap insurance.

Cheers,

VaBeachRam

Reaction score
Yeah I went ahead and put some of the permatex on there, seems like it would help or at least not hurt anything. Hopefully this muffler gets a little louder with time, I had the magnaflow muffler on my 4th gen and don’t remember it being quite this quiet. Sounds good still though.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yeah I went ahead and put some of the permatex on there, seems like it would help or at least not hurt anything. Hopefully this muffler gets a little louder with time, I had the magnaflow muffler on my 4th gen and don’t remember it being quite this quiet. Sounds good still though.
My MF actually got a tad quieter, not louder (had it on for about eight months), which I did not mind.

I ended up going back to stock though. Loved the sound, but to enjoy the exhaust note, I had to manually put it on tow/haul mode every time I drove, as MDS kicking in ruined the sound every single time. Just got tired of doing this.

Cheers,

VaBeachRam

Reaction score
My MF actually got a tad quieter, not louder (had it on for about eight months), which I did not mind.

I ended up going back to stock though. Loved the sound, but to enjoy the exhaust note, I had to manually put it on tow/haul mode every time I drove, as MDS kicking in ruined the sound every single time. Just got tired of doing this.

Cheers,

yeah I cant even hear mine when cruising, and barely hear it when stop and go except first thing when I start it. Didn’t notice the mds this morning either

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i used the permatex as well. biggest issue is on the rear connection, i'd recommend putting some there - i had issues tightening this clamp down enough, even with an impact. other's here have had that issue as well. no leaks though

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Just installed mine without sealer; it leaks. Rear connection. I may just have this welded. We'll see after some time with it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just installed mine without sealer; it leaks. Rear connection. I may just have this welded. We'll see after some time with it.
No need to weld. Just get Permatex from Amz and done.
That way if you want to change it or go back to stock you don't have to go to a shop.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread