5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody have the SumoSprings?

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ended up ordering the knock-off brand Timbrens. Rhino Storm or FlyingAMZ..something like that. They look identical to the Timbrens in photos but are $150 per set. I hope they're same quality as the Timbrens but the brand names sound Chinese so time will tell.
If they stink like most Chinese rubber products then they likely wont last in their harsh environment.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cool! Let us know when you get them in. I was thinking of getting those, and then either cutting them diagonal or turning them down on a lathe so the ends are tapered. I read that will make them more “progressive” when they come into contact

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this afternoon I installed the Chinese knockoff version of the Timbren SES. Took me about 5 minutes to install both sides. There is exactly one inch of gap between the bottom of them and the perch on the axle. keep in mind I have the off-road suspension so it sits one inch higher than standard. Took the truck out on a drive and it is absolutely amazing. Feels totally stock until you hit a giant bump in the road and then it just feels like a 3/4 ton truck. Going to be towing on Friday so I'll shoot a video. So far I love them.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
Yeah I looked at 2500s with the Cummins before I brought this one home. But in the end, 99.9% of what I tow will be less than 10,000 lbs. so the 1500 handles that chore, and the fuel mileage with the VM is about 6 MPG better than with the Cummins which keeps money in my pocket every time I turn the key. So if I can simply add $250 worth of simple bolt-on mods and keep the truck more level while towing, I'll rock this 1500 forever.

I'm still having a tough time deciding. I'm wondering if the steel plates on the SumoSprings that sandwich the upper bump stop mounts will eventually cause rusting and corrosion in winter salty road conditions? And it looks like the SumoSprings make contact with the axle sooner than the Timbrens, so I'm wondering if the ride quality would be affected less while unloaded with Timbren? It's not a big purchase but it's not a small one either so I'm thinking it over heavily.
Ive had timbrens on a 2014 ram, and I put them on my 2019. I like that it does not affect ride when unloaded, which like you, is most of the time for me. I pull my 30ft travel trailer, weighs about 6k fully loaded. When the trailer is in tow, the timbrens are in full contact and the rear of the truck feels like a 90s 1 ton truck when I go over bumps. But they do keep my truck level and stable.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah so I ended up towing with these over the weekend. They're awesome. Ride is great and truck is more level than without them. It has, however, made me curious. The chinese knock-off brand I bought has no listed load capacity or information at all. One would assume they're identical to the Timbren name brand but there's no way to prove it. So I am going to get the name brand Timbrens shipped to my house and compare the two. Mainly I wonder if there is a difference in rubber quality or load capacity.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So for anybody who is curious, I got the name brand Timbren SES today. I compared them to the Rhino Storm brand that's made in China and sold by FlyingAMZ on Amazon for $75 less per set.

Dimensionally they are identical. Same height, same width, same shape. They look identical. The main difference is in the rubber. The Chinese brand looks slightly more shiny whereas the Canadian name brand is a more matte look. This clearly indicates that the rubber used is different. The knock-off brand feels slightly more squishy to the touch when squeezing them by hand. They're obviously softer. The Timbren name brand is as hard as a rock to the touch when squeezing them. They clearly won't compress as easily under a load.

So that's interesting. It appears to me that the Timbren will likely ride more harsh when unloaded, but will support a load with ease. The Rhino Storm rides better unloaded because it's softer, but it also won't support as much load. The jury is out on which one would be better. I think that maybe it would depend upon what a guy used his truck for.

I'm going to do some towing with the Timbren and compare to the knock-offs next week to see how they really feel.

Wilsonwanderings

Reaction score
I put the medium duty sumosprings on my truck a few weeks ago. It is leveled currently, with no lift in the rear and I can confirm the reports of worse ride quality unloaded. They have about 1/4" gap when sitting level. Waiting for my kings to show up from Thuren, which should bring it to about an inch. Hoping that solves the unloaded ride issue, but if not I'll cut them down at an angle and/or make a quick release mount for when I'm hauling.

Drewsky510

Reaction score
How long did it take to install/uninstall them? I'm curious if it would be doable to install prior to towing since I only tow once per month and than revert back to the stock bumpstops after the trip.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How long did it take to install/uninstall them? I'm curious if it would be doable to install prior to towing since I only tow once per month and than revert back to the stock bumpstops after the trip.

Probably not feasible. I'm not the worlds best mechanic, but I found it hard to bolt them on/off, mainly because of the tight distances for when you're trying to turn your wrench, there is just no room and you turn the bold 1/16'th at a time, move wrench (drop it), move again another fraction and repeat. And there are 8 bolts per side, took me 45 minutes last time to take them off.

I think the Timbren's are far easier to install, IIRC you just pull the factory bumpstops out and push the TImbrens in, no wrenches required.

But you're better off with air if you're doing that once a month.

Wilsonwanderings

Reaction score
So I had this exact plan and was concerned with uninstall time but I couldn't find a better solution for my occasional hauling. I lived with the rough unloaded ride from the sumosprings while I had the cheap puck spacer lift but after putting Kings in this weekend, I had to fix it. I pulled the mounts off (which takes about 10 min and is a real pain) and welded the mounting bolt in place on the top. This should allow me to quickly spin off the sumosprings and replace with a threaded poly bumpstop that I found.

It should arrive tomorrow and then I'll reinstall the mounts and hopefully have a quick change solution.

Attachments

• 0117211154_HDR.jpg
    0117211154_HDR.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 0117211154a_HDR.jpg
    0117211154a_HDR.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 38

Wilsonwanderings

Reaction score
Probably not feasible. I'm not the worlds best mechanic, but I found it hard to bolt them on/off, mainly because of the tight distances for when you're trying to turn your wrench, there is just no room and you turn the bold 1/16'th at a time, move wrench (drop it), move again another fraction and repeat. And there are 8 bolts per side, took me 45 minutes last time to take them off.

I think the Timbren's are far easier to install, IIRC you just pull the factory bumpstops out and push the TImbrens in, no wrenches required.

But you're better off with air if you're doing that once a month.
Sorry just realized I contradicted your removal time and thought I'd share my method. I have some of those ratcheting end wrenches (these are 13mm) and it minimizes the otherwise very painful experience you described.

silver billet

Reaction score
Sorry just realized I contradicted your removal time and thought I'd share my method. I have some of those ratcheting end wrenches (these are 13mm) and it minimizes the otherwise very painful experience you described.

No need to be sorry, I'm far from being a master wrench. All I had was a standard box wrench and I couldn't see a way to get more than a fraction of a turn each time. No doubt better tools would help!

Wilsonwanderings

Reaction score
Just to close this out, I reinstalled the modified sumospring perch and found that the universal energy suspension bumps I listed above work perfectly mounted upside down to the existing hole in the axle pad. When the sumospring is threaded off, the ES bump will contact the sumospring perch. When the SS is installed, it will take the whole load. Now takes about 1 min and no tools to prevent rear sag when hauling and doesn't impact my articulation at all when not installed.

Attachments

• 0129211612b.jpg
    0129211612b.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 0129211613.jpg
    0129211613.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 41

silver billet

Reaction score
So for anybody who is curious, I got the name brand Timbren SES today. I compared them to the Rhino Storm brand that's made in China and sold by FlyingAMZ on Amazon for $75 less per set.

Dimensionally they are identical. Same height, same width, same shape. They look identical. The main difference is in the rubber. The Chinese brand looks slightly more shiny whereas the Canadian name brand is a more matte look. This clearly indicates that the rubber used is different. The knock-off brand feels slightly more squishy to the touch when squeezing them by hand. They're obviously softer. The Timbren name brand is as hard as a rock to the touch when squeezing them. They clearly won't compress as easily under a load.

So that's interesting. It appears to me that the Timbren will likely ride more harsh when unloaded, but will support a load with ease. The Rhino Storm rides better unloaded because it's softer, but it also won't support as much load. The jury is out on which one would be better. I think that maybe it would depend upon what a guy used his truck for.

I'm going to do some towing with the Timbren and compare to the knock-offs next week to see how they really feel.

So... any update on this you can share? I'm curious if you found a difference in performance towing your trailer with Timbren vs Knockoffs.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So... any update on this you can share? I'm curious if you found a difference in performance towing your trailer with Timbren vs Knockoffs.

So truthfully, while towing or hauling I found the Rhino Storm knock-offs to ride better. I actually liked them. They probably won't hold up to HUGE loads as well as the Timbren, but then again these are 7,300 lb. max GVWR trucks so it's not like we're going to put 4,000 lbs. of weight on the rear axle. I think that between the two, perhaps I'd go with the knock-offs. Less money, better ride, still supports a load better than stock.

Having said that, the Timbrens haven't been horrible. They jar the truck when I hit a bridge expansion joint that's rough, or a bad pot hole. If I put light weight in the truck, such as the 600 lb. tractor implement I hauled a few days ago, it causes the truck to ride rough because the rubber springs aren't resting on the perch but they are closer to it. But otherwise, the truck rides like stock. And if I put my 8,000 lb. trailer on the hitch the truck stays level and rides like a dream. I love them. Zero maintenance, zero worries, zero bars and chains to fool with.

Chuck19

Reaction score
So truthfully, while towing or hauling I found the Rhino Storm knock-offs to ride better. I actually liked them. They probably won't hold up to HUGE loads as well as the Timbren, but then again these are 7,300 lb. max GVWR trucks so it's not like we're going to put 4,000 lbs. of weight on the rear axle. I think that between the two, perhaps I'd go with the knock-offs. Less money, better ride, still supports a load better than stock.

Having said that, the Timbrens haven't been horrible. They jar the truck when I hit a bridge expansion joint that's rough, or a bad pot hole. If I put light weight in the truck, such as the 600 lb. tractor implement I hauled a few days ago, it causes the truck to ride rough because the rubber springs aren't resting on the perch but they are closer to it. But otherwise, the truck rides like stock. And if I put my 8,000 lb. trailer on the hitch the truck stays level and rides like a dream. I love them. Zero maintenance, zero worries, zero bars and chains to fool with.
Thanks for the follow up information. The ones i found on amazon dont say they fit the gen 5 year trucks? did you get something different?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up information. The ones i found on amazon dont say they fit the gen 5 year trucks? did you get something different?

I think they are listed only up to 2019 (prior gen) but I found that they fit my 2020 5th Gen just fine.

bigdaddy46

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question but do you think these could work on a truck with 2 inch drop springs out back? If it's solid rubber maybe they could be trimmed down?

Users who are viewing this thread