5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody get Bluetooth text messages working on 22 UC 5 8.4 non-Nav?

Starlight

Reaction score
I have the 8.4" UConnect 5 non-Nav in a 22 Big-Horn 2500.

I haven't been able to find any way to get text message notifications working properly with this unit. When connected only using BlueTooth I can receive and make calls but I don't get text message notifications and they don't come up in the entertainment system. That is basic phone BT functionality that has worked in every car I've driven build in the last 15 years and I travel and rent a lot of cars. I've had it into the dealership multiple times and they concluded the radio must be broken but said they can't replace the radio and sent me to the Uconnect phone help line where the person I spoke with barely comprehended the issue and didn't know how the radio was supposed to work. Phone help said I was supposed to get my messages through Android Auto.

I much prefer the basic BT connect without Android Auto as I don't find anything in Android Auto useful and it runs up my mobile data bill. Once in a blue moon I expect I'll turn on Android Auto for nav but I rarely travel where I need nav. Even if I turn on Android Auto however I don't get proper text message notifications as I mostly listen to radio or have it off and the Android Auto notifications only come through if Android Auto is running on the display.

It seems like they have left out some basic functionality on the non-Nav units without saying anything and the advertising even suggests functionality that doesn't work. The system has been out long enough that I'm a bit concerned that they don't consider the issues to be defects.

Full list of what I've seen so far that is broken:
  • Text messaging non-functional as above
  • Voice recognition non-functional (it is listed on the build sheet - sounds like bait and switch advertising to me)
  • Wi-Fi is supposed to be missing due to connected services delete but the truck creates a Wi-Fi hotspot anyway, it just won't let me connect, disable, or do anything else with it. Broadcasting a Wi-Fi hotspot is a security issue.
I do know how to connect Google Assistant to get some voice capability without Android Auto running but I've never found a use for Google Assistant and have it disabled. On my other vehicles I mostly use voice recognition to change Sirius XM channels since there are so many that presets don't work well. Neither Google Assistant or Android Auto can change radio stations.

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I have the 8.4" non-Nav in a 22 Big-Horn 2500.

I haven't been able to find any way to get text message notifications working properly with this unit. When connected only using BlueTooth I can receive and make calls but I don't get text message notifications and they don't come up in the entertainment system. That is basic phone BT functionality that has worked in every car I've driven build in the last 15 years and I travel and rent a lot of cars. I've had it into the dealership multiple times and they concluded the radio must be broken but said they can't replace the radio and sent me to the Uconnect phone help line where the person I spoke with barely comprehended the issue and didn't know how the radio was supposed to work. Phone help said I was supposed to get my messages through Android Auto.

I much prefer the basic BT connect without Android Auto as I don't find anything in Android Auto useful and it runs up my mobile data bill. Once in a blue moon I expect I'll turn on Android Auto for nav but I rarely travel where I need nav. Even if I turn on Android Auto however I don't get proper text message notifications as I mostly listen to radio or have it off and the Android Auto notifications only come through if Android Auto is running on the display.

It seems like they have left out some basic functionality on the non-Nav units without saying anything and the advertising even suggests functionality that doesn't work. The system has been out long enough that I'm a bit concerned that they don't consider the issues to be defects.

Full list of what I've seen so far that is broken:
  • Text messaging non-functional as above
  • Voice recognition non-functional (it is listed on the build sheet - sounds like bait and switch advertising to me)
  • Wi-Fi is supposed to be missing due to connected services delete but the truck creates a Wi-Fi hotspot anyway, it just won't let me connect, disable, or do anything else with it. Broadcasting a Wi-Fi hotspot is a security issue.
I do know how to connect Google Assistant to get some voice capability without Android Auto running but I've never found a use for Google Assistant and have it disabled. On my other vehicles I mostly use voice recognition to change Sirius XM channels since there are so many that presets don't work well. Neither Google Assistant or Android Auto can change radio stations.
I do not know what uconnect system is in the 2500 but they will know on the heavy duty forum

Starlight

Reaction score
I do not know what uconnect system is in the 2500 but they will know on the heavy duty forum

I should have said, it appears to be identical to the Uconnect 5 8.4" non-Nav in the 1500. I had a rental 1500 during a service visit and the system on it was identical in every aspect I could detect. There seemed to be more exposure to the newer systems over here so I thought I would try asking here first.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I should have said, it appears to be identical to the Uconnect 5 8.4" non-Nav in the 1500. I had a rental 1500 during a service visit and the system on it was identical in every aspect I could detect. There seemed to be more exposure to the newer systems over here so I thought I would try asking here first.
cool
we have a section on the uconnect systems

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On my truck, when I pair the phone I get a pop up on my phone itslef to allow Uconnect to access messages on my phone. If I don't click on the pop up and approve access then I don't get the text messages while on Bluetooth.

I would try deleting the phone and repairing it. Then watch for the pop up notification on your phone to allow text messages.

Starlight

Reaction score
On my truck, when I pair the phone I get a pop up on my phone itslef to allow Uconnect to access messages on my phone. If I don't click on the pop up and approve access then I don't get the text messages while on Bluetooth.

I would try deleting the phone and repairing it. Then watch for the pop up notification on your phone to allow text messages.

I've tried all the normal add/remove/permissions options. I'm pretty sure I've paired my phone with over 100 car entertainment systems and never had a problem with text messages. Uconnect 4 works great. I rented/tested both Uconnect 4 and Uconnect 5 equipped vehicles since getting my truck. Multiple Uconnect 4 systems, texting worked, Uconnect 5 with Nav - texting worked, Uconnect 5 without Nav - testing doesn't work.

Starlight

Reaction score
cool
we have a section on the uconnect systems

I forget these show up in the 'new threads' view and it isn't obvious where they are posted. I appreciate the pointer and have posted this thread in the Uconnect 5, 8.4 section. I also tweaked the subject to make it more clear that it is UC5.

Users who are viewing this thread