5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any way to turn off LED bars on headlights?

CG Rob

Reaction score
Hi all,

My ‘19 Sport has the factory LED light group. Whenever the truck is running, the top and bottom horizontal LED bar on each headlight stays illuminated. I went into the light settings and disabled the DRL’s, but those bars stay lit.

Is there any way to disable those lights so they only come on with the headlights, or not at all? I see other DT’s on the road with the LED light package and the lights I’m speaking of aren’t lit, so there must be something I am missing.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know all the possible ways, but I’m pretty sure you need a tool that modifies BCM settings, like the TazerDT or alfaOBD to change that.

I do know for certain that the tazer will do that, as I’ve done it to mine.

CG Rob

Reaction score
I don’t know all the possible ways, but I’m pretty sure you need a tool that modifies BCM settings, like the TazerDT or alfaOBD to change that.

I do know for certain that the tazer will do that, as I’ve done it to mine.
Good info, thank you for that. Going to pick up a Tazer ASAP.

CG Rob

Reaction score
Another good solution, thank you!

What all would I need to purchase for the AlphaOBD option? I found the software, but is there a cord I would need for my laptop, or is there a Bluetooth version for my phone, or both? This is new to me coming from GM products....😄

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
The LED bars you’re referring to are known as Signature Lighting in the BCM and are found under CBC Extern.Light Calibr when using AlfaOBD. When turned off, they will no longer come on when the ignition is in run, but will still function as parking lights.

I turned mine off and changed the DRL location to the amber turn signals. This setup allows me to turn the DRL’s off through the radio to go completely dark in the front.

This is what mine looks like with DRL’s only:

4092ba24089c6d1a3881903ad9df4c6b.jpg

434148943c4a55f13be6321e0a4990f8.jpg

DRL’s + parking lights (headlight switch in first position)

8c13f1e499563b98d4ede5a89efeafde.jpg

Another good solution, thank you!

What all would I need to purchase for the AlphaOBD option? I found the software, but is there a cord I would need for my laptop, or is there a Bluetooth version for my phone, or both? This is new to me coming from GM products....

The AlfaOBD software is available for Windows or Android devices. You’ll need the software, a security gateway bypass module, some sort of Bluetooth OBD scanner/communication tool, and a Windows or Android device to communicate via AlfaOBD. I have both versions of the software and prefer the Android version for ease of use. AlfaOBD is not available for iOS (I have an iPhone), so I bought an inexpensive Amazon Fire tablet to use the Android version. You’ll get a lot of input on which OBD scanner to use. Personally, I use and recommend the OBD Link MX+, which is pricy but very reliable, and allows access to certain features that most other scanners cannot access.

CG Rob

Reaction score
The LED bars you’re referring to are known as Signature Lighting in the BCM and are found under CBC Extern.Light Calibr when using AlfaOBD. When turned off, they will no longer come on when the ignition is in run, but will still function as parking lights.

I turned mine off and changed the DRL location to the amber turn signals. This setup allows me to turn the DRL’s off through the radio to go completely dark in the front.

This is what mine looks like with DRL’s only:

4092ba24089c6d1a3881903ad9df4c6b.jpg

434148943c4a55f13be6321e0a4990f8.jpg

DRL’s + parking lights (headlight switch in first position)

8c13f1e499563b98d4ede5a89efeafde.jpg

The AlfaOBD software is available for Windows or Android devices. You’ll need the software, a security gateway bypass module, some sort of Bluetooth OBD scanner/communication tool, and a Windows or Android device to communicate via AlfaOBD. I have both versions of the software and prefer the Android version for ease of use. AlfaOBD is not available for iOS (I have an iPhone), so I bought an inexpensive Amazon Fire tablet to use the Android version. You’ll get a lot of input on which OBD scanner to use. Personally, I use and recommend the OBD Link MX+, which is pricy but very reliable, and allows access to certain features that most other scanners cannot access.

Thank you for your very helpful response. Your truck looks awesome with the amber DRL’s!

I too have an iPhone, so I would likely go with the Windows based option. What functionality would I miss out on by going that route?

Thanks again,

Rob

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
I too have an iPhone, so I would likely go with the Windows based option. What functionality would I miss out on by going that route?

Thanks again,

Rob

You won’t lose any functionality using the Windows version, it has the same features as the Android version. The Windows version is structured differently, and I have found it to be a bit more complicated to navigate, but it’s still easy enough to figure out with practice.

Thank you for your very helpful response. Your truck looks awesome with the amber DRL’s!

Appreciate it! I encourage everyone with AlfaOBD to set the amber turn signals as the DRL’s. It’s definitely a unique look that turns heads.

Users who are viewing this thread