5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any way to tighten a wing mirror?

Ram92131

Reaction score
My passenger-side wing mirror won't stay in place. It's as if the detent has worn out and the mirror sags toward the back. This would not be a big deal except that it has messed up the 360 surround cam view. The cam now has a blind spot toward the back and the view is skewed. Is there any way to tighten the detent, or am I stuck going to the dealer for a new mirror?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not quite sure I completely understand what's going on. What mirrors do you have(towing or standard)? And never heard anyone refer to them as "wing" mirros. When you say "sag" that makes me think the whole mirror is drooping. The non-tow mirrors can't really sag unless the nuts holding them to the door are loose.

Ram92131

Reaction score
Finally had a chance to take some pics.

Here is what it should look like:

Screen Shot 2023-04-22 at 10.42.12 PM.png

And here is what it actually looks like.

Screen Shot 2023-04-22 at 10.41.45 PM.png

Not only is it ugly, but it messes up the 360 surround cam view. I can manually align it properly, but then it just pops back to the misaligned position. Can I adjust the tension or detent somehow so that it stays in proper alignment?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that the gears for the slower fold are probably damaged. Not sure if the replacement gears are still available, or if you just need a new mirror.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is a separate thread about this gear. People claiming them as junk.
Reminds me of the “pink plastic thingy” in my 2006 Charger. It was part of the shifter assembly, and would easily break. Dealers would replace the whole shifter, an expensive approach that would just give you a new pink plastic thingy to break.

Fortunately, like this mirror gear, someone produced a metal replacement part that should last a long time.

St-na

Reaction score
Reminds me of the “pink plastic thingy” in my 2006 Charger. It was part of the shifter assembly, and would easily break. Dealers would replace the whole shifter, an expensive approach that would just give you a new pink plastic thingy to break.

Fortunately, like this mirror gear, someone produced a metal replacement part that should last a long time.
FCA improved this design for '21. This problem exists on '19-'20 only.

Users who are viewing this thread