5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any way to make start stop work with climate on?

m_d_p

Reaction score
Hey. It seems no matter what I try the start stop just won't work if any of the climate options are on. Even just having the fan running on setting 1 makes it fail. The only way I've got it to work is switching all climate systems off. I'm sure the engineers have some reasons but this is completely dumb. Id guess most people will have something turned on even if it's fans on low, and the cabin is rarely at the perfect temp and matching what the screen says. It means I have to turn off climate when I think I'll need it.

I can't be the only one with this issue right?

Amerinamese

Reaction score
What temperature do you have set for your climate control? The start stop won't work if the truck can't maintain the climate temperature. I've found that at 72 degrees with my system in Auto my truck will stop the engine for about 30 seconds to a minute depending on how long it takes the cab to heat up.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We had a rental Pacifica out in Utah/Nevada a few years back. The start/stop worked with the A/C running, but it cut off the a/c when you'd stop at a red light. When it's 122 outside, it heated that van up quickly!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My S/S works just fine once the interior of the cab has stabilized. As mentioned above, if the climate control system can't maintain cabin temp the S/S won't activate. The climate control system takes priority over the S/S system, which is how it should work.

m_d_p

Reaction score
I did some testing and found that if I set the climate control temp to 1 degree above the internal cabin temp the SS works. It's just not practical though. It's 92 outside right now and way too warm in the cabin, so I need to cool it which may take a long time, if it even ever reaches temp like 60 or LO.

So in short it works but only once your cabin reaches the temp you set, but just know it's unlikely you may be able to reach that temp in a reasonable time frame, of ever. Sat here baking I'm confident it won't reach LO in my 30 min trip.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My climate is all the way down to Lo and auto SS works normally and it was 99 here today

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
So in short it works but only once your cabin reaches the temp you set, but just know it's unlikely you may be able to reach that temp in a reasonable time frame, of ever. Sat here baking I'm confident it won't reach LO in my 30 min trip.
Well you're right, considering that LO is not a temperature LOL. I keep my set point at 71 degrees and my truck has no problems getting to that temp and maintaining it in the 90 degree weather we've had recently. S/S has worked the few times I've had it turned on.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When the Stop Start is in Stop mode, and the engine is off, and the Climate Control calls for the AC compressor to run, the Stop mode is ended, and the truck restarts.

If the Stop Start is active (all other conditions met), but the Climate Control is calling for the AC compressor, the truck will not enter Stop mode.

When the Climate Control calls for the AC compressor depends on a number of factors, including humidity, sun load; inside, outside and setpoint temps, etc. It may be difficult to know which parameter is making the Climate Control call for the AC compressor.

bpago

Reaction score
When the Stop Start is in Stop mode, and the engine is off, and the Climate Control calls for the AC compressor to run, the Stop mode is ended, and the truck restarts.

If the Stop Start is active (all other conditions met), but the Climate Control is calling for the AC compressor, the truck will not enter Stop mode.

When the Climate Control calls for the AC compressor depends on a number of factors, including humidity, sun load; inside, outside and setpoint temps, etc. It may be difficult to know which parameter is making the Climate Control call for the AC compressor.
I have a 2021 limited. The start/stop switch will activate the ss mode but the light in the switch never illuminates. The dealer replaced the switch but nothing has changed. He said it was something that happens with trucks with the 12 in screen. In high temps (live in Fl), the dash menu will say unable due to heating or cooling. I turn the a/c off and the fan switch off and then reads start/stop ready. Turn the fan on to position 1 (low) and then reads unable due to cooling or heating. Does the fan switch turn on the compressor even with the a/c off? Also it seems the longer you drive the better the system works almost like the 48k battery pack needs a bigger charge. Any thoughts. I appreciate your info on the climate control it was informative.

Kaderast

Reaction score
I've got in the habit of when I come to a stop at a light, I just crank my temp dial from the mid 60s up to about 73 or 74. That instantly initiates the truck to stop because it thinks that cabin is cool enough. Still blows air and the cabin will warm up a bit while stopped, but it's not too bad. Short lights of a minute or less and the engine will stay off the entire time. Then when I start driving again I just crank the temp dial back down.

BNeal

Reaction score
Wow. And here I am trying to figure out a way to permanently disable the start-stop... Maybe I'm in the wrong forum...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wow. And here I am trying to figure out a way to permanently disable the start-stop... Maybe I'm in the wrong forum...
Then this will be the best $99 you'll ever spend.

Kaderast

Reaction score
I wanted to buy a Prius, but having a truck is functional for my life needs (and fun!). Trying to get Prius mileage out of my 400hp V8. Hanging close to 20mpg with this tank, so getting close. Start/stop is so smooth, why turn it off?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Because it's so seldom that I stop at a traffic light or sit at a stop sign for longer than 3 seconds that it takes me by surprise when I do stop at one long enough for the engine to shut off. The effect on mpg for me is just not there for most of my driving. I also don't like the idea of the engine stopping and starting on its own. Engines are made to run, not to start and stop and start LOL. If I ever move to an area where I drive in conditions that will allow the system to run consistently I can always turn it back on. I retain the use of the button with the autostop eliminator. I just don't have to press it every time I start my truck.

bpago

Reaction score
Hey. It seems no matter what I try the start stop just won't work if any of the climate options are on. Even just having the fan running on setting 1 makes it fail. The only way I've got it to work is switching all climate systems off. I'm sure the engineers have some reasons but this is completely dumb. Id guess most people will have something turned on even if it's fans on low, and the cabin is rarely at the perfect temp and matching what the screen says. It means I have to turn off climate when I think I'll need it.

I can't be the only one with this issue right?
Mine does the exact same thing. Every thing off s/s works. Turn fan on low speed (1) and system says unable due to cabin cooling or heating. After driving more seems to work fine. I do a lot of short trips and I think the 48kw battery pack is not getting enough charge. The longer I drive the better it works.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine does the exact same thing. Every thing off s/s works. Turn fan on low speed (1) and system says unable due to cabin cooling or heating. After driving more seems to work fine. I do a lot of short trips and I think the 48kw battery pack is not getting enough charge. The longer I drive the better it works.
Makes sense. Mine works fine after the cab gets to the temp it likes and most of my trips are 20 miles plus.

moralescil

Reaction score
hi all, my new rebel 2023 shows the push bottom to disable the stop/start system, however i can no see the sub menu showing the system status in the cluster panel. I went trough all the menus, also my son and it is not there, you will see on vehicle info all the features for tires, gauges, etc, but nothing for the stop/start. Anyone came across through something like this?

Users who are viewing this thread