5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Truck Covers USA (vs maybe Retrax Pro) opinions?

kmr1200

Reaction score
New 1500 Limited owner and need a bed cover. Mostly for stacking gear for trip to mountain place, and want to have a bike rack to carry two bikes above the bed. Local shop recommends Truck Covers USA over Retrax Pro. I haven't found anything negative about either...TC USA is about $200 more, though both are pretty spendy.

Any opinions/thoughts for me? Thanks in advance.

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
I have Diamond Back waiting for my truck to be ready. They are pricey but you can put whatever you want on them.

Techna

Reaction score
When I was cover shopping I narrowed it down to the Truck Covers USA American Roll Cover and the Pace Edwards Ultragroove Metal. Both of these covers give you the ability to access the bed when locked without a key which was very important to me. Their latches are operated from the underside of the cover, with the P.E. not even having an external latch/lock at all. If you have proximity lock/unlock, this is a game changer since you never have to dig the fob out of your pocket to secure or to access the bed. I liked the looks and some features of the Retrax Pro, but the key requirement was a no go for me. Ultimately I went with the P.E. offering because the tracks for the racks are integrated rather than add-on like the T.C. USA’s cover. As far as ownership impressions go I have nothing but praise for the cover, but will admit to only having it for about 8 months. It still worked and looked new when I sold it, and the guy who bought it couldn’t believe that the truck hadn’t been garaged through the full summer of Texas heat and sun that I‘d had it. Pictures both with and without the racks mounted are in my truck thread in the “members trucks” section.

tom318

Reaction score
I’ve been considering the same covers and recently went with the Truck Covers USA. Should have it in the next 1-2 weeks. I’ll most likely buy a set of 1up racks to go on top of it. All pricey stufff but I don’t want to do this again.

Tjd

Reaction score
I’ve have the same TC American Work I puchased for my 2014. Installed it again on 2016 and now on my 2019. I have the line-X version and it still works and looks like new. I had a minor issue with the release cord and they sent out a replacement, 5 years out of warranty at no charge. Their support and customer focus is above none. Would highly recommend them.

Biz Jet Tech

Reaction score
Looks like only way to get a TC USA is through their dealer network.....I want to order online but dont see any way to do it

I’ve been considering the same covers and recently went with the Truck Covers USA. Should have it in the next 1-2 weeks. I’ll most likely buy a set of 1up racks to go on top of it. All pricey stufff but I don’t want to do this again.
What 1up product would fit on this cover ??

tom318

Reaction score
Looks like only way to get a TC USA is through their dealer network.....I want to order online but dont see any way to do it

What 1up product would fit on this cover ??

These should work. Only concern would be when the rack is folded out prior to bike install, I'm not sure how close it will get to the cab of the truck. I should have mentioned I bought the TC USA cover with the Yakima racks/round bars.

........Now that I'm looking again, they aren't available. Need to join a waitlist. Seems like everything I look at or need to buy in every market is on backorder.

kmr1200

Reaction score
Thanks all. I have a TC-USA on order from local dealer, and will get it installed in about two weeks. Report and photos to come.

tom318

Reaction score
Just got mine installed yesterday. It definitely feels heavy duty. However? The fit at the tailgate end on these new DT trucks isn’t ideal. I’ll post more detailed pics later today but the large cover on the inside of the tailgate the gives you access to the back of the handle is located high up on the tailgate as well as being very thick that it interferes with the end of the cover and you cannot get a decent seal at the end. You end up with a small gap.

Attachments

• 6CDBD82B-2FD7-41BE-B050-D48E22A14AAD.jpeg
    6CDBD82B-2FD7-41BE-B050-D48E22A14AAD.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 77

tom318

Reaction score
Some more images. Highlights in red are where it interferes. I’ll run it as is for a while and see how much it leaks. If it’s bad I’ll order PN 68278374AC and trim it down. Then have it coated to match. Hopefully that does the trick.

Attachments

• 9FCF99E5-91A7-4DBF-82DE-CDC19682E993.jpeg
    9FCF99E5-91A7-4DBF-82DE-CDC19682E993.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 337C67A0-DA7F-478B-B973-46D03D74D025.jpeg
    337C67A0-DA7F-478B-B973-46D03D74D025.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 71
  • 95611BDA-AE10-421B-84E2-7EF0E0697C74.jpeg
    95611BDA-AE10-421B-84E2-7EF0E0697C74.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

kmr1200

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures and report. My install was delayed until this Friday, so I will take a look at the finished product. Any other post-install thoughts or comments?

tom318

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures and report. My install was delayed until this Friday, so I will take a look at the finished product. Any other post-install thoughts or comments?
So far I'm happy. The few items ill mention are extremely minor and even if I knew about them id still buy the cover.
I don't know how you feel about drilling holes in the truck but the included drain hoses wont fit the existing holes in the bed. I didn't drill out the holes and just found tubes with a smaller OD. There was Velcro on the the underside of the left rail to hold the strap, that lasted about 5 minutes before it came off.
My dealer didn't offer the matte finish but if he did I would have chosen that, the sun reflects off the paint on the cover. Haven't been through any rain yet but curious to see how well it keeps water out even with the gap at the tailgate. Ill be installing the Yakima racks this weekend so ill see if anything comes up with that. Dealer originally gave me 60'' wide bars which didn't cut it. Let me know how your install goes at the tailgate end, maybe your shop has some kind of solution!

tom318

Reaction score
Installed Yakima rails over the cover today. Good fit and easy one and off. I think this will work out well. Now the wait begins for 1up to replenish their inventory.

Attachments

• B772968B-470F-4060-AF20-00B1CE812730.jpeg
    B772968B-470F-4060-AF20-00B1CE812730.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 61

kmr1200

Reaction score
Nice...just got home with mine and will be looking at Thule or Yakima for my bikes. IMG_4125.jpeg

kmr1200

Reaction score
How's the fit at the tailgate end? From the pic, looks like you may have a gap as well.
I gave the cover a slight tug after I took the picture and it closed the gap that is visible in the picture. Doesn't seem like it will be a big deal for me.

night199uk

Reaction score
Anyone installed one of these with the Ramboxes and MFT? They have a Rambox option for the DS, and after emailing TCUSA they claim it's also proven to work now with the DT. I really love the look of this this cover for my brand new 2021 and the fact you can get the bikes on top; but it's a lot of money to drop on something to experiment.

Yangster

Reaction score
Anyone installed one of these with the Ramboxes and MFT? They have a Rambox option for the DS, and after emailing TCUSA they claim it's also proven to work now with the DT. I really love the look of this this cover for my brand new 2021 and the fact you can get the bikes on top; but it's a lot of money to drop on something to experiment.
I have a 21 Ltd Longhorn and was wondering the same thing. In examining the pics, it appears top of the std tailgate has a little piece that butts out. The multifunction tail gate doesn't have this and goes straight across so I don't think the fitment/seal is an issue. But am looking for someone to confirm...

tom318

Reaction score
I haven't looked at the MFT in much detail but based on what you said it sounds like it would fit better than on the standard tailgate. Unless there is something going on in the corners of the MFT, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I can take some specific pictures or measurements if that would help.

tom318

Reaction score
Received my 1up racks yesterday. Honestly not sure ill keep them, not very easy to get the bikes in and out of this style rack. They look decent and function well but i think they are better suited for hitch style racks where you have more leverage on fastening the wheel hoops. IMG_0746.jpg IMG_0747.jpg IMG_0750.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread