5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any tire shop employees in here?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is this something a shop will patch? Or is it too close to the sidewall?

20230205_145804.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
had something similar on my crv and discount tire plugged it no problem
Plugging and patching are different things. I would only use a plug as an emergency repair, and not a long term fix.

Most tire shops will not patch a hike that close to sidewall. But I have had some respired that close by a small shop who made sure I understood the liability

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The rule of thumb is that any holes to each side of the outer water channels should not be plugged or patched due to failures over time from the tire rolling when under a side load like taking turns. That being said, there’s a lot of shops that will repair that.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Plugging and patching are different things. I would only use a plug as an emergency repair, and not a long term fix.

Most tire shops will not patch a hike that close to sidewall. But I have had some respired that close by a small shop who made sure I understood the liability
never mind

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So it sounds like the answer is "maybe" and I'll just have to take it to a shop and find out.
I was trying to decide whether to go ahead and buy new tires or not. These are at 40% remaining, and I sort of don't want to just replace one tire and have a mismatch, especially with the AWD system.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So it sounds like the answer is "maybe" and I'll just have to take it to a shop and find out.
I was trying to decide whether to go ahead and buy new tires or not. These are at 40% remaining, and I sort of don't want to just replace one tire and have a mismatch, especially with the AWD system.
If you take it to a tire shop, don't go to a national chain place for best chance of getting it patched. Find a local mom and pop type place

Jeff1322

Reaction score
You can repair it yourself. They sell plug and patch kits in a number of auto supply stores.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are you sure it’s leaking? That looks like a flanged 1/2 or 3/4” long screw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online