5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

any TechAuthority pages availible on the Anti-Spin Axle?

conesmacker

Reaction score
Anyone have an active TechAuthority subscription, and willing to share any available pages on the Anti-Spin/Limited slip rear differential? I'd like to see what is different in this new ZF redesigned model of the 9.25 rear axle.

I'm curious, because when I did a tire rotation with all 4 wheels off the ground, I took the opportunity to do the traditional old-style test of the LSD....meaning, turn one rear tire and observe that the other one turns the same direction. To my surprise.....I didn't observe this. The other wheel rotated the opposite direction of the wheel I was turning, and I felt no resistance at all.

Normally, I would think that means the vehicle has an open differential. But, I bought my truck new, and the window sticker does list the anti-spin diff. From driving in dirt, snow, and other low traction conditions, I perceive that it is working by feel, without the ESC light flashing which I think also indicates active brake lock differential control.

I think I did read somewhere on this site that the current Anti-Spin diffs are slower to respond and need some speed differential between wheels to activate...but how are they doing this? Sounds like they're no longer using clutch packs like the older LSDs in Chrysler products that I'm familiar with... which include a 1969 Superbee, a 1979 Ramcharger, a 1986 2500 van, and a 2001 2500 Cummins 2wd.

So...what's the service manual advise on testing Anti-Spin performance, and how does it work? Hopefully it's not similar to those exploding GM gov-locks....

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a post somewhere around here that talks about this, but from waht I recall, when there is no load (both wheels off the ground), it will act like an open diff. Someone with more knowledge on the subjact will answer I'm sure.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s still using clutch packs, as you need to add additive in with it when replacing the fluid. And no it’s not like the gm g80 grenades.

There are a few vids on YouTube explaining how it works.

But yes it needs to sense one wheel starting to slip before it locks up.

If you want to test it, just go do a burnout ;)

Or watch my vid, you can see the right wheel start to loose traction then the left wheel starts to spin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

397STROKER

Reaction score
I thought the same thing with mine but after hearing the things on this site and doing some research, it appears that what it really lacks is the spring between the spider gears that acts a preload to the clutches. Therefore with no load, there is nothing to force the clutches to rub and grab.

MrMisk

Reaction score
I thought the same thing with mine but after hearing the things on this site and doing some research, it appears that what it really lacks is the spring between the spider gears that acts a preload to the clutches. Therefore with no load, there is nothing to force the clutches to rub and grab.
less likely for it to cause issues

Users who are viewing this thread