5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any reason I can't use spacers when towing?

CaptBeach

Reaction score
Finally setting up truck. 2019 Ram 1500 Quad BH 4x4. Adding 295/70/18 on factory rims. Want to add 1.5-2.0 spacers to enhance the look. I do trailer a 25' near 7K trailer a bit. Any reason I should avoid spacers?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The farther out the wheels go, the more stress there is on the ball joint (?). Could have the wrong part but that's basically it. Think of it like a short wrench vs a long wrench, the long wrench is able to exert more stress/pressure on the nut than the short wrench.

That is the theory. As to whether it's significant and important to worry about, I'm not an automotive engineer so I can't answer that.

CaptBeach

Reaction score
Same would be for wheel tire set up with offsets that poked the tires out then too if I am correct.

Also, anyone know if any of the aftermarket (Rough Country, Mavotech) UCA address the UCA/Ball JOint geometry issue when running the leveled front ends?

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bad idea...2.0 spacers move the wheel shear load too far from the hub. And you will have near-limit payloads.

CJ7nvrstk

Reaction score
Bad idea, just one more part to fail. I’ve seen spacers fail under normal use and trailering put a lot more stress on those components. If you want your tires to stick out more buy wheels with the offset you want.

Reactions: cj7

silver billet

Reaction score
Bad idea, just one more part to fail. I’ve seen spacers fail under normal use and trailering put a lot more stress on those components. If you want your tires to stick out more buy wheels with the offset you want.

It's the same thing; the more you move the actual contact patch of the tire away from the ball joints etc, the more leverage and stress those wheels create. Doesn't matter if you use a spacer or if the rim has (in effect) a spacer built in by changing the offset.

Reactions: cj7

jimchi

Reaction score
It's not only the suspension ball joints, but the wheel bearings that will be seeing additional load. Additional load = shorter life = $$$ for replacement. You can certainly upgrade the ball joints with more robust components, but I haven't seen upgraded wheel bearings.

If it were me, I wouldn't even consider it. Wouldn't want to be stuck somewhere with a failed ball joint or bearing.

CJ7nvrstk

Reaction score
It's the same thing; the more you move the actual contact patch of the tire away from the ball joints etc, the more leverage and stress those wheels create. Doesn't matter if you use a spacer or if the rim has (in effect) a spacer built in by changing the offset.
No it’s not. I’m talking about the spacers failing, not the other components. Having a properly spaced wheel is stronger than a wheel/spacer combo.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I run 1.25" spacers and tow my boat (around 7k lbs total w/trailer) around without any issues at all. I use bora which are hub centric and high quality spacers. I would not go with some cheap off brand and certainly get hub centric. I Prob wouldnt go bigger than 1.5" though.

silver billet

Reaction score
No it’s not. I’m talking about the spacers failing, not the other components. Having a properly spaced wheel is stronger than a wheel/spacer combo.

Fair enough, but whether spacers fail or not, the point is your putting stress on your wheel bearings and ball joints. That's why you shouldn't stick out your wheels, either via spacers or rim offsets.

Spacers can be rock solid, it depends on what you buy. Stick to bora or something of that nature and you won't crack them regardless of what you do. But still a bad idea for towing regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread