5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any real world difference using USB-A versus USB-C for Apple Carplay etc.

t76turbo

Reaction score
I am probably getting the new iphone and it comes with a USB-C to Lightning cable. I know USB-C will allow faster charging if the charger allows it. I ordered a couple USB-C to Lightning cables and grabbed a shorter black colored cable for my truck. I am curious if there is any difference real world in our trucks if I use a A versus C version of the cable to charge and/or use Apple Carplay???

Reverse

Reaction score
faster transfer speeds over usb-c, but I am not sure that makes a difference to what you do with your phone.

t76turbo

Reaction score
faster transfer speeds over usb-c, but I am not sure that makes a difference to what you do with your phone.
I know the USB-C cables/ports are capable of much higher speeds and power. But I wonder if you actually notice any change or difference in our trucks?

For instance, does it charge quicker in the truck? Faster charging requires the charger itself (our truck in this case) to push more power. Maybe our trucks dont do that. Or does Apple Carplay function better in some way?

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if anyone with a samsung/android can test it out; I know that the latest S line of phones gives you an approximate "time to full charge", could be an easy way to see if USB-C is higher powered than USB-A.

I have magnetic cables for my phone, but they're usb-a only, not sure I even own a C-to-C cable (or maybe it's in the box)

t76turbo

Reaction score
For our trucks it makes no difference. I have tried it with both cables and you are at the limit of the trucks charging power supply amperage.
Thats kind of what I expected.

Oh well. Thanks for the details.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Charging time is the same. USBc does allow for much faster data stream. you will not notice this if just using Android auto or apple play, but if you also play music from phone memory it really speeds up the folder load/reaction time noticeably. USBc is instant response scrolling through song menu where USB is about a 2 second response time for some of the larger folders.

41magmag41

Reaction score
I have found the left hand usb port seems to push more power thus heating up the phones, through actual use. The right one works very well with no heat. Just my experience and 2 cents worth.

Users who are viewing this thread