5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

any one antenna fin leak?

Hackmunch

Reaction score
has anyone had there antenna fin leak? mine seems very loose on the roof.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I could be wrong but i think the plastic fin is just a cover for the assembly. You may want to see if its loose and tighten it up because you don't want it to blow off while you are underway.

U

User_3336

And how would one do that. I see no adjustments or screws to do such a procedure.

I could be wrong but i think the plastic fin is just a cover for the assembly. You may want to see if its loose and tighten it up because you don't want it to blow off while you are underway.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have definitely seen at least one person mention a water leak coming from a loose shark fin, the adhesive that holds it in place was loose.

I highly recommend you have it looked it by the dealer prior to your next car wash or rain. I would also recommend you inspect your carpets and headliner carefully to make sure it wasn't already water damaged.

Hopefully you caught this in time before that.

Rmisbach

Reaction score
Anyone confirm this? Just noticed my shark fin was fairly loose today while washing the roof. Sure enough I went inside and could see a couple drips of water coming from above the rear slider frame. I recently removed the CHMSL (installed LEDS) so I thought maybe I disturbed the seal for the light housing.... I poured water directly over CHMSL assembly and found no leak in the cab. Still need to do another leak test by spraying down the shark fin and taping off the CHMSL to rule it out from the source of water leak, but I’m 99% sure the shark fin base gasket is loose and letting small amounts of water in. I can wiggle the shark fin and see the rubber underneath it lift up off the roof sheet metal.

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
Anyone confirm this? Just noticed my shark fin was fairly loose today while washing the roof. Sure enough I went inside and could see a couple drips of water coming from above the rear slider frame. I recently removed the CHMSL (installed LEDS) so I thought maybe I disturbed the seal for the light housing.... I poured water directly over CHMSL assembly and found no leak in the cab. Still need to do another leak test by spraying down the shark fin and taping off the CHMSL to rule it out from the source of water leak, but I’m 99% sure the shark fin base gasket is loose and letting small amounts of water in. I can wiggle the shark fin and see the rubber underneath it lift up off the roof sheet metal.
Check your rear slider frame for cracks. That has been the most recent culprit of leaks. The frame is usually cracked, by the "slider window".

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I usually get crap for this, dealer said its a 4.5 hour job to take down headliner and replace the fin. My 4th gen leaked too. Its just a soft spongy foam gasket that seals it to the roof. I put clear silicone around mine. I took a close up of the foam gasket, there is a gap. I have headliner stain directly under mine. I use Silicone 2, which is neutral cure, and not acidic cure. It does NOT harm paint. And its easily peel off and removable for service if needed. Its SEALER not ADHESIVE.

Sorry for explaining, I usually get a lot of crap from folks. I sealed my third brake light and fin, and my water leaks stopped. Dealer couldn't fix for me. And I dont have time to waste dickering with them, for them not to fix problems, and have someone that doesn't know what they are doing break half the B and C pillar clips while they bend my headliner in half to remove it. no thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 10.22.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 10.22.28 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 228
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 10.22.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 10.22.35 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 224

Tysan2c12

Reaction score
I usually get crap for this, dealer said its a 4.5 hour job to take down headliner and replace the fin. My 4th gen leaked too. Its just a soft spongy foam gasket that seals it to the roof. I put clear silicone around mine. I took a close up of the foam gasket, there is a gap. I have headliner stain directly under mine. I use Silicone 2, which is neutral cure, and not acidic cure. It does NOT harm paint. And its easily peel off and removable for service if needed. Its SEALER not ADHESIVE.

Sorry for explaining, I usually get a lot of crap from folks. I sealed my third brake light and fin, and my water leaks stopped. Dealer couldn't fix for me. And I dont have time to waste dickering with them, for them not to fix problems, and have someone that doesn't know what they are doing break half the B and C pillar clips while they bend my headliner in half to remove it. no thanks.
How did u silicone the shark fin?

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have seen a post here where it was said that peroxide removes the headliner stains.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have heard of any issues, That said had a close call the other day when I didn't realize garage door was not fully up and came within mm's of smashing the hole thing off.

My1stHemi

Reaction score

I’m going to perform this sealant project this weekend. I sealed my cracked rear window frame and eliminated 80% of the leaks. I suspect the fin and light are the remaining moisture portals.

MarcW

Reaction score
I’m going to perform this sealant project this weekend. I sealed my cracked rear window frame and eliminated 80% of the leaks. I suspect the fin and light are the remaining moisture portals.
How did you seal up cracked frame from leaking water inside ?

raygun9

Reaction score

How did this hold up over time?

Users who are viewing this thread