5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Issues/Regrets so far?

CPenn1086

Reaction score
This is my first full size truck ever, so I leased to make sure I had an exit strategy god forbid I wasn't happy. After 3 weeks of ownership, I can confidently say that I will be buying this truck out (assuming it is relatively problem free over the next three years). I absolutely love it! I have a brand new love for driving that I never had with my previous vehicles.

I cross shopped the Tundra, the Gladiator, and F-150s prior to making my decision and none of those trucks offered the same level of comfort and refinement we have with the Ram. I did see a lot of silly issues on the forum (like the misc. cabin leaks, etorque, uconnect issues, etc)...but I was not going to let that steer me away from what I really wanted.

Born-2-Win

Reaction score
This is my first full size truck ever, so I leased to make sure I had an exit strategy god forbid I wasn't happy. After 3 weeks of ownership, I can confidently say that I will be buying this truck out (assuming it is relatively problem free over the next three years). I absolutely love it! I have a brand new love for driving that I never had with my previous vehicles.

I cross shopped the Tundra, the Gladiator, and F-150s prior to making my decision and none of those trucks offered the same level of comfort and refinement we have with the Ram. I did see a lot of silly issues on the forum (like the misc. cabin leaks, etorque, uconnect issues, etc)...but I was not going to let that steer me away from what I really wanted.

How's the lease going so far? what does it cover? I was thinking of special ordering a rebel online and doing the lease option.

Cortlandt Ram

Reaction score
If it doesn't come with the LED (interior) options, make sure you change them...the map light and dome light are so much of an improvement....I also changed the glove box, courtesy / vanity lights and lights under the steering wheel...$20 later and it makes such a difference. Also, change the lights on the exterior/back of the cab - the red and white ones. It makes looking for things in the truck bed so much easier. Finally, the Bed Rug, Window/Front Deflectors, and Toneau cover are a must, especially if you don't want items getting scratched or your truck bed getting scratched. It probably will take you 6 hours in total (1-2 for the Rug, 2 for the Cover, 1 for the Deflectors and 1 for the lights) to do everything, but it's well worth it...

Cortlandt Ram

Reaction score
The only thing left that I want to do is install an Anti Sway Bar, not lift or level it, since the Wheels and Tires were already upgraded with factory options.

Sacredgrooves

Reaction score
Yeah, I've put about 8,000 miles on my truck towing ~6,000 lbs with the family from TX to IL, and then with a bunch of buddies to CO, on top of driving daily to work. The other week I noticed a slight squeak coming from the seatbelt area - slightly annoying. My wife drove it and insisted I should take it to the dealer. I got some silicone spray, lubed the joint on the seatbelt pivot, and all is well.

There are plenty of people with issues on the forum.. that was the biggest issue I've had on my Limited e-Torque

That same squeak developed for me in the last week, just hit a thousand miles. Will give silicon a shot.

Ram Ranch

Reaction score
I regret not doing a good inspection before buying the truck, Mine is missing some decals and I would've caught the driver side door being out of alignment. However that is an quick fix at dealer under warranty. I love the truck

nburd

Reaction score
I just regret my whole purchase. I should have bought the Chevy, Ford or the Titan. I regret driving this awesome truck every day. 4800 miles in 3 months. Just kidding......... My only real regret was this, that came up yesterday...Not that it matters. I asked a Co worker about his residual value on his minty leased 2018 RAM Sport Crew 6'5" 4x4 (all options, Delmonico, Nav, 28K miles), back in April. I never heard from him. So I bought my 2020 truck. Yesterday, I got a message from him........its $28K, do I want it for that when his lease is over.....ughhhhhhh, my wallet says WOW what a freaking deal, I would have had to wait until January. But I love my new truck and even though my payment would have been a lot less and my book value very high...... BTW the 5th gen is superior to the 4th, so actually no regrets.....

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Laramie with 702 miles, only had it 20 days. No problems other than a very minor rattle from the seatbelt area that kind of bothers me at times (I REALLY hate any rattles). My truck's reading of the outside temperature is also WAY off, which seems to be very common.

My main regret is that I bought the best deal I could find (after 3 weeks of working at least two dozen dealers), and in the end ended up not getting the truck I wanted. I drove both the etorque and regular Hemi, and my preference was the regular Hemi but on the test drive didn't notice that big of a difference. After owning the etorque, I really wish I'd have bought the regular Hemi even though it would have meant not getting the best deal. I also wish I had 18s instead of 20s, anti-spin, and the 33 gallon tank.

My plan is to reevaulate in a year and maybe trade it in on a custom order 2022 with the new Uconnect5, or a new Tundra depending on what those are like with the redesign. A major issue with the current Tundras is that the seats are very high, you're looking through the very top of the windshield if you're taller than 5'7".

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I regret that it's black, but hoping a Kenzo coating next month makes me feel better about it :) I do seriously miss my white Gen4. I guess in retrospect I wish I had gotten *every* option. Nothing like having a sun roof that you never open ;)

nburd

Reaction score
I regret that it's black, but hoping a Kenzo coating next month makes me feel better about it :) I do seriously miss my white Gen4. I guess in retrospect I wish I had gotten *every* option. Nothing like having a sun roof that you never open ;)
Good note on the sunroof. I just (last weekend) had the sunroof drain plug-up on my Suburban, which is for sale. I had to remove the carpets to dry it, the headliner partially to get to it and repair it. Finally I am left with a very nice headliner stain. I had sunroof anxiety at first (the first truck I wanted had one) triple black North edition, tow package, 12" all options, '19 leftover but the dealer wanted $4K under sticker and I could buy a '20 elsewhere for nearly $10K under. I still enjoyed driving it on a 70 degree day for a test drive, but I guess I am not so disappointed now.

myles

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been considering to either buy a 1500 Limited, a Rebel, or, dare I say, A Tundra TRD Pro.

I know all trucks have their own issues and what not but with the amount of technology that Ram is putting in their trucks it's making me a bit worrisome. Has anyone had any issues? I in no way mind little issues here and there but I would like to spend the majority of the time using my truck and not have to be contacting Dodge.

Thank you,
2020 longhorn ecodiesel here, 10 months and 28k miles, so far so good. Just made a 2800 mile trip from SoCal to Dallas Texas and it was a pretty easy drive, especially nice with the ACC. And being able to go 650+ miles with the 33 gallon tank is awesome.

12" U-connect hasn't given me any issues after the dealer reset the computer. Keep in mind, the 12" screen takes like 4+ hours after you disconnect the battery and reconnect it for all the computers to turn back on. I freaked out the 1st time I did it when installing my subwoofer and a ton of things stopped working on my truck. a/c heater was on the fritz blasting either hot or cold air, radio didn't work, carplay didn't work, seat heaters were stuck on. Seriously cant believe Ram sells a truck that takes hours for everything to turn back on after disconnecting the battery. Other than that, I love it and would buy again.

emings

Reaction score
Yeah, I've put about 8,000 miles on my truck towing ~6,000 lbs with the family from TX to IL, and then with a bunch of buddies to CO, on top of driving daily to work. The other week I noticed a slight squeak coming from the seatbelt area - slightly annoying. My wife drove it and insisted I should take it to the dealer. I got some silicone spray, lubed the joint on the seatbelt pivot, and all is well.

There are plenty of people with issues on the forum.. that was the biggest issue I've had on my Limited e-Torque
My truck has the same squeak. It doesn't bother me as the last truck I owned before this one was a 1983 Ford F-150 and that thing would squeak before even getting in it.

Drewster

Reaction score
My truck has the same squeak. It doesn't bother me as the last truck I owned before this one was a 1983 Ford F-150 and that thing would squeak before even getting in it.
Yeah, my post was intentionally sarcastic, but it's funny how such a minor noise stands out when your interior is super quiet

Gitter

Reaction score
Only option I wanted that I didn't get was the 33 gal tank (was hard to find nearby). 90% of my driving = no regrets (daily driving), but after taking a 200 mile trip towing our new travel trailer, I can tell that longer road trips are going to come with many stops because of that smaller tank.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had all the trucks from all the brands including Toyota, Nissan, Jeep, GM, and Ford. Several of each actually. I've had the best luck with Ram trucks. Almost NO repair trips to the dealer. Very good trucks. My only regret this time around is that I didn't go with the 2500. It would have only been a few bucks more to get more truck and the Cummins engine. Sigh....

CPenn1086

Reaction score
My main regret is that I bought the best deal I could find (after 3 weeks of working at least two dozen dealers), and in the end ended up not getting the truck I wanted. I drove both the etorque and regular Hemi, and my preference was the regular Hemi but on the test drive didn't notice that big of a difference. After owning the etorque, I really wish I'd have bought the regular Hemi even though it would have meant not getting the best deal. I also wish I had 18s instead of 20s, anti-spin, and the 33 gallon tank.

Have to ask - What do you not like about the eTorque? Is it the driving characteristics or concern for reliability issues down the road? When I was test driving the one I purchased (eTorque), I could not really tell the difference in how it drove vs. the standard 5.7. In fact, if anything I feel like the eTorque is a bit more refined feeling...

Users who are viewing this thread