5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any final verdict on whether air suspension ride is actually better than coil suspension?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Theres 10’s of thousands of faulty air ride suspension equipped rams across canada and the northern states. Dealership told me that fca sells more rams with air ride in california then all of canada and northern us, combined. So thats why they wont do **** about it. The day i brought my ram in on bump stops, there was 11 other rams brought in that day yo that dealership alone. They ran out of loaner/rental vehicles because so many trucks went down. I dont care if its a safety issue or not. Its a oem part that failed and is known to fail in cold climates. What do they do? Design a new ram but use the same exact air ride system. I wonder how many 5th gen rams are going to be at the dealership this winter with the same issue.
Got it...your frustration is coming through loud and clear. For what it's worth, they didn't use the 'same exact air ride system' on the 5th-gen Rams. It was re-engineered to simplify the system and use one faster compressor. And I don't recall postings of ANY 2019s "at the dealership" last winter for air suspension issues, at least of the small sampling (~10K members at that time) on this forum. But time will tell, as you suggest.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I got this truck with air suspension and the deploying side steps I knew I needed mud flaps to at least try to protect all the parts under there that are behind the tires.

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same!

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The air suspension is a big deal for me. It helps a bunch to drop it down for my mother in law to enter and exit. I haven't held on to vehicles very long but if I decide to hang on to this one longer I'll look into an extended warranty for all the doodads this truck has.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I love having the air suspension also. Putting almost a thousand pounds of mulch on the bed and automatically leveling itself is priceless.
Also, very handy being able to raise it to OR2, to crawl under it, or wash wheel wells, or put it in entry/exit mode to reach the top of the hood/roof better when washing. Priceless...

Last edited:

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love having the air suspension also. Putting almost a thousand poundo of mulch on the bed and automatically leveling itself is priceless.
Also, very handy being able to raise it to OR2, to crawl under it, or wash wheel wells, or put it in entry/exit mode to reach the top of the hood/roof better when washing. Priceless...

(finds a place to stow his step-stool since his truck can now bow to him instead of the other way around) LOL

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I love having the air suspension also. Putting almost a thousand pounds of mulch on the bed and automatically leveling itself is priceless.
When I dropped off my truck to have PPF installed, I never gave the air suspension a thought. When I returned to pick up the truck, the installer was telling me about how his ladder platform was a lifesaver, especially when it came to reaching above the windshield. I then lowered the truck 3” (I have the ORG) using the fob, and his jaw just about hit the floor. His entire install would have been so much easier. Whoops!

AbitaPro

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed previously, but I'd like to see if there are any new opinions or revised opinions on this matter now that the forum has grown and people have had more time to spend in their trucks.

Any thoughts on which one has the most comfortable ride in day-to-day driving (surface streets highways). I am looking for the softest ride possible due to some neck/spine issues that I have, so it really matters to me.

Thanks!
I just know my RAM Limited cruises so smoothly that I feel as though I’m riding in a Low Flying Aircraft!

ShoNuff1

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed previously, but I'd like to see if there are any new opinions or revised opinions on this matter now that the forum has grown and people have had more time to spend in their trucks.

Any thoughts on which one has the most comfortable ride in day-to-day driving (surface streets highways). I am looking for the softest ride possible due to some neck/spine issues that I have, so it really matters to me.

Thanks!
Traded a 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie, road smoother than any luxury car. I now own a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4, it rides like a truck. You feel every bump on the street, not bad on the highway, actually quite smooth.

Reactions: A10

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Traded a 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie, road smoother than any luxury car. I now own a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4, it rides like a truck. You feel every bump on the street, not bad on the highway, actually quite smooth.
Check the air pressure in your tires (if you haven't already done so). Dealers are notorious for way over-filling, making the ride very harsh.

cipherbreak

Reaction score
As the illustrious Tyga once said: “Too much rim make the ride too hard”.

But for real, my truck rides amazingly and I have rugged terrain 35’s.

Fidomac

Reaction score

Thanks!
at speed I think the air ride is unbeatable but in a parking lot situation with speed bumps at lower speeds it can be abrupt and the shocks probably outperform it

Fidomac

Reaction score
As the illustrious Tyga once said: “Too much rim make the ride too hard”.

But for real, my truck rides amazingly and I have rugged terrain 35’s.
I replaced my 285 45-22's with 275 50 22 and noticed a considerable Improvement in ride quality ........ Much less slapping.

brody.cepeaux

Reaction score

Thanks!
Air suspension is a more stiff ride. I have a back injury and am slightly more sensative to the jarring in a vehicle. I only lasted 2-3 hours in the cab of my air ride truck before i had to get out and stretch, have a good cry and try again. My new 19 with coils, i have not hit a limit for time. I can say with 100% certianty that the coil is softer for us with back issues.

brody.cepeaux

Reaction score
Body roll is even mentioned on the ram air suspension as a benefit. So, yes it does help in Corning. I can literally hear the compressor when taking a long corner like a clover leaf.
Active pre loading during s cornering situation is a function of air auspension. Absolutely. This is accurate . Its subtle but it does slightly drop the inside fender and slightly raise the outside. This has been a thing on chrysler peoducts for 8 years now and is only on specific behickes they sell. It was integrated into the air auspension for both ram and grand cherokee

Users who are viewing this thread