5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any final verdict on whether air suspension ride is actually better than coil suspension?

Binaryslave

Reaction score
My biggest issue with air lift is you can't ride around in offroad 1 or 2. I like the ride height of offroad 2 but after my purchase realized it won't stay in offroad 1 or 2 while driving around

Snakes709

Reaction score
Its great when it works right. Had it on my 2016 sport. But once the winter hit, air ride **** the bed, blew the use and would leak, causing it to rest on the bump stops. Even after i wrapped a battery heater blanket around the compressor and valves, ride quality was complete ****. FCA’s response.....”it works fine. The Ram 1500’s arent ment to be driven in the winter”.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Air suspension has been butter smooth for me so far. Knock on wood, lol. And to be able to move it up and down with a push of a button to get under the chassis depending on what I need to do, I have no regrets. Like I have mentioned in other threads I feel better long term with the air suspension since I got the extended warranty. My previous GM rig had air suspension issues outside basic warranty coverage and it was expensive to replace the control module and compressor.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Its great when it works right. Had it on my 2016 sport. But once the winter hit, air ride **** the bed, blew the use and would leak, causing it to rest on the bump stops. Even after i wrapped a battery heater blanket around the compressor and valves, ride quality was complete ****. FCA’s response.....”it works fine. The Ram 1500’s arent ment to be driven in the winter”.
Ha id like to see that in print from them. You could sell that to Ford...

Snakes709

Reaction score
Ha id like to see that in print from them. You could sell that to Ford...

Check out FCA Ram pickup air suspension failures on facebook. There is a group full of people with this issue and a list of responses from fca that people got tryig to fight to have their suspension replaced and fca issue a recall. Fca’s excuses ranged from improper use with a rebal (going off road), not having recalls on other components of the truck done to my favorite “the ram 1500 is summer recreational vehicle only, it is not ment to be operated in cold climates”

The reason i got was “there has been no fatalities related to the air suspension yet, thus no need for a safety recall”

So lets wait until someone dies before we fix the ****ty system. That makes sense.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My biggest issue with air lift is you can't ride around in offroad 1 or 2. I like the ride height of offroad 2 but after my purchase realized it won't stay in offroad 1 or 2 while driving around

You can .. as long as you don't go over a certain MPH (it's in the manual) .. I'm sure you can get an aftermarket "programmer" and tweak it? or -- purchase a "lift kit" designed for the 4-corner system and then your average height is now your OR1/2 height :)

I think it's funny about non-winter vehicle .. I'll just have to park it next to my Cobra in the garage then LOL

What I don't like (so far) is that the components are mounted on the frame behind the passenger wheel -- that is where a LOT of debris (mud, snow, etc.) will end up -- granted 1) it makes is very easy to work on and 2) there is a fabric-style cover over it.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I don't like (so far) is that the components are mounted on the frame behind the passenger wheel -- that is where a LOT of debris (mud, snow, etc.) will end up
When I got this truck with air suspension and the deploying side steps I knew I needed mud flaps to at least try to protect all the parts under there that are behind the tires.

tom Z

Reaction score
Despite it being mentioned multiple places, there is no cornering benefit to the air suspension...

Drive both trucks and see which one is the most comfortable to you. The options that will make the biggest impact on your ride quality are shock choice (Off Road Group or not) and wheel and tire package. The air ride trucks will ride very similar to a coil spring truck outfitted comparably. And, if anything, the air ride truck will wallow a bit more in the corners than the coil trucks, but only slightly.
I purchased a new Limited with the air ride suspension but it was a dealer trade from 140 miles away. My dealer asked me if I wanted to drive a new 2019 Longhorn to make the trade and I said sure! The Longhorn drove very nice for the 3 hour ride but when I drove the Limited back it rode nicer than my Lexus LS460L! Hands down don't buy a truck unless you get the air ride suspension!!!!

PT1911

Reaction score
There is no way FCA officially stated a half ton pickup truck with air suspension is not meant to be driven in cold climates. There would be a giant class action lawsuit by now.....

Snakes709

Reaction score
There is no way FCA officially stated a half ton pickup truck with air suspension is not meant to be driven in cold climates. There would be a giant class action lawsuit by now.....

They actually did. What im waiting for is a fatality due to the air system failing. Then supply the family with fca’s response that it hasnt killed anyone yet so no recall. That would be a huge law suit.

Love how needing to have my compressor and valves like this is “normal” to fca. I was really contemplating not getting a new ram because of them.

Attachments

• 55F1E0EF-E26B-43EE-A011-1DA5ED2794CF.jpeg
    55F1E0EF-E26B-43EE-A011-1DA5ED2794CF.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 75

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They can market it however they want, but the air suspension (in our trucks) does not compensate for corners in any special manner. The spring rate in a coil is linear (actually the DT's are progressive, so it's actually a little bit parabolic) and the spring rate under compression in an air bag is inversely proportional to the decrease in volume of the bag, so minor bumps and light road forces such as cornering are perceived as smoother, because of the more supple "spring rate" at the middle of the airbags travel, and larger bumps such as speed bumps and potholes can actually feel worse in the air ride trucks due to the excessive "spring rate" under high compression of the bags.

And I've never once been able to hear my air ride compressor from inside the vehicle, even when stopped and playing with the height settings, and especially not when driving. The Ram website mentions decreased body roll in Aero mode due to the lowered right height.

Since the coil trucks don't lower to Aero height and the air trucks do, and, as you say, being at Aero height helps to reduce body roll, it seems fair, to me, to say that air suspension gives the trucks less body roll.

My only experience is my 4th Gen (coil suspension) vs my 5th Gen.

I put Bilstein shocks on my 4th Gen shortly after I bought it. They were leveling shocks in the front and I put spaces in the back to level the truck at the highest setting for the front shocks. So, something like 1.5" - 2" higher than stock.

On the 4th Gen, I thought the Bilsteins improved the ride over stock noticeably. More taut. I.e. less wallowy. But, just as supple/compliant, if not more so. In my mind, that translates to more low speed compression damping, with a little less high speed compression damping. And maybe more rebound damping. But I digress.... The Bilsteins were an improvement over stock coil suspension.

On my new truck, I feel like the air suspension rides as well as my old truck with the Bilsteins. I had actually noticed that my new truck feels like it has less body roll than my old truck before I read anything here about that. I suppose that could be because the new truck sits lower anyway (compared to the small lift on my old truck), and then gets even lower when in Aero mode. It definitely feels less wallowy than my old truck did on stock suspension.

But, I'm not sure how my old truck compared to a 5th Gen on coil suspension.

All that said, the 5th Gen with air suspension rides great. And I have already learned that I really love the ability to hit a button and lower it to Entry/Exit height. It really makes a difference when putting heavy stuff (like scuba tanks) in the back, or taking them out. I believe it will also be a major bonus when I go to load my motorcycle in the back at some point.

Reactions: Jtr

James1414d

Reaction score
I suspect at around the 70,000 mile mark, people may prefer the coil springs :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There will never be a final verdict. The two options suit different drivers and different preferences on how a truck should drive. It's just like asking "is there a final verdict on how long the bed should be?" There will never be a final answer for 100% of drivers.

Drive them both, do your research, and buy the one that works best for you.

Reactions: A10

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They actually did. What im waiting for is a fatality due to the air system failing. Then supply the family with fca’s response that it hasnt killed anyone yet so no recall. That would be a huge law suit.
That’s quite a difference from their approach with these new trucks, i.e. three super minor recalls on the 0.0001% chance that the parts could fail. I’m not questioning your statements, but it seems like they’re being proactive with safety concerns.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My buddy has a new limited with the air suspension, and it’s cool how he can adjust the ride height or it adjusts itself. But I gotta tell you looking at the complexity of his truck between all the advanced technology interior, air suspension on all 4 corners,etc it just scares me to death. I use a truck as a truck, lots of 4WD, rough forest service roads, cold winter temps and I just see a nightmare in the making. The thread about the guy hauling his trailer through New Mexico to Colorado that has his air shock collapse....a guy better have a strong working relationship with a near by dealer service Dept with one the fully loaded limiters is a must IMO!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy has a new limited with the air suspension, and it’s cool how he can adjust the ride height or it adjusts itself. But I gotta tell you looking at the complexity of his truck between all the advanced technology interior, air suspension on all 4 corners,etc it just scares me to death. I use a truck as a truck, lots of 4WD, rough forest service roads, cold winter temps and I just see a nightmare in the making. The thread about the guy hauling his trailer through New Mexico to Colorado that has his air shock collapse....a guy better have a strong working relationship with a near by dealer service Dept with one the fully loaded limiters is a must IMO!
Hedged my bets: Equipped my truck with all of the toys...and a nice long warranty, too ;)

Snakes709

Reaction score
That’s quite a difference from their approach with these new trucks, i.e. three super minor recalls on the 0.0001% chance that the parts could fail. I’m not questioning your statements, but it seems like they’re being proactive with safety concerns.

Theres 10’s of thousands of faulty air ride suspension equipped rams across canada and the northern states. Dealership told me that fca sells more rams with air ride in california then all of canada and northern us, combined. So thats why they wont do **** about it. The day i brought my ram in on bump stops, there was 11 other rams brought in that day yo that dealership alone. They ran out of loaner/rental vehicles because so many trucks went down. I dont care if its a safety issue or not. Its a oem part that failed and is known to fail in cold climates. What do they do? Design a new ram but use the same exact air ride system. I wonder how many 5th gen rams are going to be at the dealership this winter with the same issue.

Wolf

Reaction score
Don't forget the "off road" package. I have had 4 Rams. 2 with off-road ('14 Outdoorsman and '19 North Edition). I can tell you for sure that the "extra HD suspension" rides nicer with less body roll. Another plus is tire performance on wet and snowy roads is greatly improved with the A/T tires.

I will never buy a Ram without it again.

A10

Reaction score
My truck worked flawlessly during the -50 degree weather we had in northern Illinois this past winter. I made sure to cycle through the different levels to ensure proper operation. Not a problem at all. Now, this freezing period only lasted a week. So I don’t know what would happened over a prolonged freezing period.

As far as ride quality goes... My orp air ride truck rides like a “truck”. It is not buttery smooth. But it is amazing on absorbing large bumps or pot holes.

I drove a Ram that had coil suspension and it rode way better than my truck. Which is fine for me. I like that this suspension can take a beating and go to a height that I desire.

Users who are viewing this thread