5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Experience With Ironman 4x4 Suspension?

Advntr.ram

Reaction score
I have the Full suspension kit installed on my 4th gen ram, it came Pre assembled and i have not made any adjustments. I opted for the 2 inch front medium load spring, and the 2inch medium load rear springs. I also do not run a front sway bar just fine with this kit. The front comes preloaded to sit almost level to the rear, but because i was the first person to do a full Airride delete with the kit, im not sure what a stock static coil truck would ride at. I got the kit for an astonishing 2,650 bucks with 25% off. Which isnt bad for a 4 year unlimited mile warranty, and “no rebuilding necessary”

I will add, based on their install video, and what my front coils came preloaded too, I have almost triple the threads showing on my coils than the ones shown in video. I haven’t experienced any weird wheel hop when going over whoops from the front end, and everything seems to compress fine. I measured my downtravel from the kit to be 4.5 inches(not sure what stock downtravel would be). I am waiting back from ironman to hear what they say about the extra threads, I found a tacoma forum where someone named Matt from Ironman Australia explained the extra threads are “heat finning”.
Overall:
The kit has been wonderful, i get good rear flex, it drives pretty hard on wash board roads, and i was taking it through dirtbike whoops at 35-40 mph without stuffing the front end into the next set this past weekend at Johnson valley. I did not feel any shock fade, and they preformed well all weekend. Rear end springs are not a true progressive rate, so i will be swapping those out for some Dual rate Icon springs.

Attachments

• IMG_5424.jpeg
    IMG_5424.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5462.jpeg
    IMG_5462.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5633.jpeg
    IMG_5633.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5628.png
    IMG_5628.png
    326.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5463.jpeg
    IMG_5463.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 11

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Full suspension kit installed on my 4th gen ram, it came Pre assembled and i have not made any adjustments. I opted for the 2 inch front medium load spring, and the 2inch medium load rear springs. I also do not run a front sway bar just fine with this kit. The front comes preloaded to sit almost level to the rear, but because i was the first person to do a full Airride delete with the kit, im not sure what a stock static coil truck would ride at. I got the kit for an astonishing 2,650 bucks with 25% off. Which isnt bad for a 4 year unlimited mile warranty, and “no rebuilding necessary”

I will add, based on their install video, and what my front coils came preloaded too, I have almost triple the threads showing on my coils than the ones shown in video. I haven’t experienced any weird wheel hop when going over whoops from the front end, and everything seems to compress fine. I measured my downtravel from the kit to be 4.5 inches(not sure what stock downtravel would be). I am waiting back from ironman to hear what they say about the extra threads, I found a tacoma forum where someone named Matt from Ironman Australia explained the extra threads are “heat finning”.
Overall:
The kit has been wonderful, i get good rear flex, it drives pretty hard on wash board roads, and i was taking it through dirtbike whoops at 35-40 mph without stuffing the front end into the next set this past weekend at Johnson valley. I did not feel any shock fade, and they preformed well all weekend. Rear end springs are not a true progressive rate, so i will be swapping those out for some Dual rate Icon springs.
the extra threads are for height/ preload adjustment but i guess it works as heat finning too since threads do have more surface area than no threads.

ironman 4x4 does preset the shocks to make left and right level. the only time we have to mess with it is when customers want to sit higher or buy different rated springs. overall installation on ironman is as simple as it gets.

397STROKER

Reaction score
I purchased the rear 2" performance (0-660ibs) springs and ended up with 2.5" with nothing in the back. They were a little stiff for my wife so I took them off. These are probably better for someone that has some wait in the rear like a rack and tent or tool boxes. Still have them if anyone is interested, make me an offer. Only few hundred miles on them.

carbonfold

Reaction score
they're australian company and to be fair Ram application is new so I highly doubt they've put each and every item on and take measurements, especially for springs.

so you want 2.5 in addition to the ORP height? or 2.5 compared to non-orp? sorry im a bit confused lol

The Ram DT has been out long enough and is quite popular in Australia (just like the DS). Responses from Ironman 4x4 USA is not a Aussie response but I do follow some Australian RAM groups. Not implying the Aussie response would be any better as many of these companies over there are more supportive of the ISP vs the DYI. Regardless there are product lines and companies that do their own research. Carli, King Shocks or Bilstein to name a few. Ironman 4x4 really only offers an installation video (which is better than most companies do) but that is about it. No additional photos or post installation specs. Would be nice but that is why groups like this exist.

Ironman 4x4 does offer three types of springs for the front or rear on the DT platform. I would hope any company selling a product would take measurements and offer true information on the product. Again discovering misinformation such as calling it a 2.5 lift with a weight range but offering the same part number in a different catalog with conflicting specs such as 2.0 vs 2.5 is a bit annoying. Leads to more questions. Anywho...

Yes, I'm looking for 2.5-3 in the front total and 2.0 in the rear total. Since most suspension systems are calculated on a basic suspension setups, that is what I'm referring to. So, as an ORP/Rebel type system, this will yield me an additional 1.5-ish in the front and 1.0’ish in the rear (depending on which springs I go with). I do like what I’ve read about their shocks/struts on other vehicles but springs can greatly impact everything and this is where I’m at so far: Dobinsons 2.5 0-80lb (F) & 2.0 330-550lb (R) , Ironman 4x4 2.5 0-130lb (F) @ 2.0 0-660lb (R) or a combo of a front Dob or Ironman with a rear Carli Rebel HD rear or Clayton 2.5 Rear.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Ram DT has been out long enough and is quite popular in Australia (just like the DS). Responses from Ironman 4x4 USA is not a Aussie response but I do follow some Australian RAM groups. Not implying the Aussie response would be any better as many of these companies over there are more supportive of the ISP vs the DYI. Regardless there are product lines and companies that do their own research. Carli, King Shocks or Bilstein to name a few. Ironman 4x4 really only offers an installation video (which is better than most companies do) but that is about it. No additional photos or post installation specs. Would be nice but that is why groups like this exist.

Ironman 4x4 does offer three types of springs for the front or rear on the DT platform. I would hope any company selling a product would take measurements and offer true information on the product. Again discovering misinformation such as calling it a 2.5 lift with a weight range but offering the same part number in a different catalog with conflicting specs such as 2.0 vs 2.5 is a bit annoying. Leads to more questions. Anywho...

Yes, I'm looking for 2.5-3 in the front total and 2.0 in the rear total. Since most suspension systems are calculated on a basic suspension setups, that is what I'm referring to. So, as an ORP/Rebel type system, this will yield me an additional 1.5-ish in the front and 1.0’ish in the rear (depending on which springs I go with). I do like what I’ve read about their shocks/struts on other vehicles but springs can greatly impact everything and this is where I’m at so far: Dobinsons 2.5 0-80lb (F) & 2.0 330-550lb (R) , Ironman 4x4 2.5 0-130lb (F) @ 2.0 0-660lb (R) or a combo of a front Dob or Ironman with a rear Carli Rebel HD rear or Clayton 2.5 Rear.
most likely you messaged the US representatives who have no clue since they are just a... US reseller. They don't do R&D here iirc. Perhaps ask the Aussies and maybe they can clear things up better for you.

If you are looking for companies that take measurements and go very scientific and precise about their product information, only place that will give you the answers you're looking for is none other than Carli. They take measurements for each set up and even stack weight in the bed to demonstrate how weight can impact the springs.

It's okay to run Dob springs but I'd stay away from their shocks. I've installed and test drove enough and from what my customers' feedback, I can tell you very confidently that Dobs don't ride great. You're better off just sticking with Ironman foam cell pro for your shocks. The most recent install I've gone through all major brands (Dobs, Carli, King, Fox, Bilstein, Ironman, etc) and guy bought bought Dobs on his own. Later on he said it rode like crap lol

397STROKER

Reaction score
most likely you messaged the US representatives who have no clue since they are just a... US reseller. They don't do R&D here iirc. Perhaps ask the Aussies and maybe they can clear things up better for you.

If you are looking for companies that take measurements and go very scientific and precise about their product information, only place that will give you the answers you're looking for is none other than Carli. They take measurements for each set up and even stack weight in the bed to demonstrate how weight can impact the springs.

It's okay to run Dob springs but I'd stay away from their shocks. I've installed and test drove enough and from what my customers' feedback, I can tell you very confidently that Dobs don't ride great. You're better off just sticking with Ironman foam cell pro for your shocks. The most recent install I've gone through all major brands (Dobs, Carli, King, Fox, Bilstein, Ironman, etc) and guy bought bought Dobs on his own. Later on he said it rode like crap lol
I tried Dobison front springs on Bilstein 5100 at the first setting. was supposed to get 2.5" of lift and got 2.25". I did not like the ride either. These were the 0-110lbs springs that are said to be the comfort ride.

carbonfold

Reaction score

Hmm... I'll probably just match it up with IM 2.5/2.0 (B) springs. Which, I think that is what is considered their medium duty spring in the kit anyways... The kit doesn't specify this but wonder what's the real world feel/difference of comfort valving in the rear?

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm... I'll probably just match it up with IM 2.5/2.0 (B) springs. Which, I think that is what is considered their medium duty spring in the kit anyways... The kit doesn't specify this but wonder what's the real world feel/difference of comfort valving in the rear?
from my seat time on ironman on other platform (GX460) it is actually quite comfy on road. Offroad if you keep it nice and slow (say, under 40) on graded trail you'll be comfortable. If you go fast continuously or you go on ungraded trail you will not be comfy as any other shocks other than King and Fox.
It is one of our best selling shock brand at the shop. Yesterday and today we did like 4 sets on GX460s and 4Runners. Can't really go wrong with them!

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried Dobison front springs on Bilstein 5100 at the first setting. was supposed to get 2.5" of lift and got 2.25". I did not like the ride either. These were the 0-110lbs springs that are said to be the comfort ride.
Dobs is well-known because the owner of the company is in every group on facebook lol
dude's working real hard to push his product and quite frankly, I give him props for the hustle

Advntr.ram

Reaction score
So this is what happened after the desert, i have contacted ironman, and they have no clue and they are sending it up to the Australian chain, i went back and looked at my dash cam footage, and the fastest i actually went on the whups was 20 mph, seems like when youre running with subarus who go alot slower you think youre faster lol…

I also realized, my front end had rake again, so i will say after 14k miles, the ironmans lost their ability to hold the truck up at a true 2.5 inches up front. Top hats were misaligned aswell.

Seems to me that I am the only 4th gen running their product, i found a company who was willing to help me out with some front coilovers with adjustable resy’s and rear shocks with adjustable resy’s for 2400.

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 16
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 17
  • 71849917371__351F1AF1-DC04-4B4F-A720-169F730619A3.jpeg
    71849917371__351F1AF1-DC04-4B4F-A720-169F730619A3.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5817.jpeg
    IMG_5817.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5821.jpeg
    IMG_5821.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 18
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 17

Advntr.ram

Reaction score
The comfort valving is nice, but thats the one that comes standard with the kit. I I carry the medium duty rear springs with nothing in the bed and it rides fine.

Advntr.ram

Reaction score
the extra threads are for height/ preload adjustment but i guess it works as heat finning too since threads do have more surface area than no threads.

ironman 4x4 does preset the shocks to make left and right level. the only time we have to mess with it is when customers want to sit higher or buy different rated springs. overall installation on ironman is as simple as it gets.
So i comtacted ironmans rep, he had no clue what the extra threads are for. In the ironman video, they have less threads showing, and they were sitting leveled out. They probably were using the 1.5 rear spring, and just had the front coils set at the standard 2 inches of ride height

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So i comtacted ironmans rep, he had no clue what the extra threads are for. In the ironman video, they have less threads showing, and they were sitting leveled out. They probably were using the 1.5 rear spring, and just had the front coils set at the standard 2 inches of ride height
So this is what happened after the desert, i have contacted ironman, and they have no clue and they are sending it up to the Australian chain, i went back and looked at my dash cam footage, and the fastest i actually went on the whups was 20 mph, seems like when youre running with subarus who go alot slower you think youre faster lol…

I also realized, my front end had rake again, so i will say after 14k miles, the ironmans lost their ability to hold the truck up at a true 2.5 inches up front. Top hats were misaligned aswell.

Seems to me that I am the only 4th gen running their product, i found a company who was willing to help me out with some front coilovers with adjustable resy’s and rear shocks with adjustable resy’s for 2400.
seems like you need king or fox. if you going to the desert again and hitting whoops king or fox are the way to go lol

the whole kit for $2400 sounds... nothing like that

Advntr.ram

Reaction score
seems like you need king or fox. if you going to the desert again and hitting whoops king or fox are the way to go lol

the whole kit for $2400 sounds... nothing like that
The company is Carbon shocks, they have plenty of videos of Rams Abusing his product, and thats enough for me, especially since he is willing to help a small “creator” like myself!

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The company is Carbon shocks, they have plenty of videos of Rams Abusing his product, and thats enough for me, especially since he is willing to help a small “creator” like myself!
ah those... the Rams you saw are probably from the group Dodge Truck Extreme.
i'm not really active in that group but i do know there's a big fallout between the owner and the serious runners of that group sometime earlier this year. im not gonna go into details since i'm not directly involved.
if you are really looking to work with people who help "creator" like yourself, the person you should talk to is Don Thuren of Thuren Fab. Don knows his stuff and he had prior experiences tuning those Carbons.

just putting it out here so the same thing the guys experienced won't happen to you.

Advntr.ram

Reaction score
Thanks so much man! I forgot about Thuren! Gonna have to look at what he offers!
ah those... the Rams you saw are probably from the group Dodge Truck Extreme.
i'm not really active in that group but i do know there's a big fallout between the owner and the serious runners of that group sometime earlier this year. im not gonna go into details since i'm not directly involved.
if you are really looking to work with people who help "creator" like yourself, the person you should talk to is Don Thuren of Thuren Fab. Don knows his stuff and he had prior experiences tuning those Carbons.

just putting it out here so the same thing the guys experienced won't happen to you.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks so much man! I forgot about Thuren! Gonna have to look at what he offers!
no worries. From what I heard from the core guys at DTX (the group of Dodge/ Ram truck guys who go faaaaasst in the desert) Thuren is really great and knowledgeable. Can't go wrong with them

carbonfold

Reaction score

That’s wild. IM4x4 has no response yet to why the mounting points collapsed? I’ve seen some crazy stuff on collision vehicles but that looks like the Ram fought the law and the law won….
Curious on the 4th gens, did those tabs have to be pinched/bent inwards on the install or was it a flush fit? I don’t plan whoops but still not something I want to see prior to the install.

Advntr.ram

Reaction score
That’s wild. IM4x4 has no response yet to why the mounting points collapsed? I’ve seen some crazy stuff on collision vehicles but that looks like the Ram fought the law and the law won….
Curious on the 4th gens, did those tabs have to be pinched/bent inwards on the install or was it a flush fit? I don’t plan whoops but still not something I want to see prior to the install.
The tabs werent so much flush, they had about .5 inches on both sides of space, once the bolt was torqued to spec they clamped onto the arm, that was the same as the video for the 4th gens, and 5th gens now

Users who are viewing this thread