5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any eco-boost converts here?

John Galt

Reaction score
The conventional wisdom was that V8’s would “go extinct“ in the 1970’s.

And then the 80’s

And then the 90’s

……

HARDWATERFLYER

Reaction score
Loyal Ford owner since 1979. Way before Crewcabs. Last Ford V-8 was a 5.4 with my 2007 Crewcab. Then 3 Ecoboost 3.5L in 2013, 2015 and 2018. All these were XLT Crewcabs 4X4 the last two with Max Tow. I loved them for work and light towing 5000 pounds or so. But after going from Minnesota to California to visit friends just before "the China virus" my wife said she would never ride in that truck again. After one ride in our first 2020 Laramie Night Edition 4X4 with the 5.7L E-Torque we were hooked. We take it everywhere. Now with our 2023 Laramie Night Edition 4X4 5.7L we are really enjoying the "Ram Brand." Except when starting out on the Freeway "on ramp" or a city stop light. That's when Tow-Haul Mode reminds me of the EcoBoost Sport Mode as that V-8 sings a tune that scares the crap out of those "rice-burners." That sound is price-less and the look I get from the wife just slays me. Grow up-not me. Retired is good.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The conventional wisdom was that V8’s would “go extinct“ in the 1970’s.

And then the 80’s

And then the 90’s

……
Man, the late 70's early 80's was rough for cars.
The era of the Gremlin and Chevette should be struck from the records.

John Galt

Reaction score
Man, the late 70's early 80's was rough for cars.
The era of the Gremlin and Chevette should be struck from the records.
Don’t forget the Pinto and the Chrysler K cars.

Ok forget the Pinto and the K cars.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Loyal Ford owner since 1979. Way before Crewcabs. Last Ford V-8 was a 5.4 with my 2007 Crewcab. Then 3 Ecoboost 3.5L in 2013, 2015 and 2018. All these were XLT Crewcabs 4X4 the last two with Max Tow. I loved them for work and light towing 5000 pounds or so. But after going from Minnesota to California to visit friends just before "the China virus" my wife said she would never ride in that truck again. After one ride in our first 2020 Laramie Night Edition 4X4 with the 5.7L E-Torque we were hooked. We take it everywhere. Now with our 2023 Laramie Night Edition 4X4 5.7L we are really enjoying the "Ram Brand." Except when starting out on the Freeway "on ramp" or a city stop light. That's when Tow-Haul Mode reminds me of the EcoBoost Sport Mode as that V-8 sings a tune that scares the crap out of those "rice-burners." That sound is price-less and the look I get from the wife just slays me. Grow up-not me. Retired is good.

This exactly, 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
Potential convert here, who grew up on Fords. Currently in a 17 3.5 EB with the 10 speed that has been a near constant source of problems in the 76K i've had it (bought it new). Currently getting some troubling codes at the moment pointing to one of the transmission pumps, so I think it's time to make a switch. With a little one that's about 1.5 years old, I want to spend my time with him, not fixing my DD every other day. Ford has a ton of quality issues across the board right now, so much so that my service advisor (whom i've built an unfortunately good relationship with over the last 5 years) flat out told me I would be wise NOT to purchase a new Ford right now...and she's been in Ford Service for 40 years. I've been through all the standard issues, and then some with mine - 3 plastic oil pans, 1 set of cam phasers, and a full tear down and partial rebuild of the 10 speed, just to name a few (there are many more).

I don't want another 10 speed in my life at the moment, so that rules out GM even though the long overdue interior refresh and AT4 package look great. We have a 2020 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 that my wife DD's, and I absolutely love the ZF 8 speed in it. It's so predictable and just works. I've had a few Ram's over the last couple of years for work rentals and always been happy with them. While Ecoboost power is fun from the turbo charged perspective, there's a lot to be said for an old school push rod V8.

Now i'm on the hunt while this 10% sale is going on this month, and the trade in on my Ford is still pretty good.

HARDWATERFLYER

Reaction score
Ram 8 speed tranny is the smoothest of all. Been there done that with Ford 10 speed. Ford is a great truck but I will take the extra 700 pounds and a 5.7L .

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Officially converted from the Ecoboost. Sold the Ford to Carvana for top trade on Wednesday and picked up a 2022 Laramie GT on Saturday. I haven't stopped grinning sense 😁

Sad to see another grumpy old man on this forum. I bet you just hate ABS too.

n9ne4

Reaction score
2013 Ecoboost tuned and on 35s with a lift. Felt like a mini diesel the way it pulled, but god what a POS. Balljoints once a year and started getting the chain rattle.

RamOwner313

Reaction score
I had a 22 xlt 2wd supercrew 2.7 L ecoboost. The major difference is mpg. I was getting 24 in my ecoboost but so far I get around 15-16 mpg in my 23 Rebel 4wd. I will say though the get up and having to speed up in the Hemi is alot better and more powerful. I felt like there was a lag in the ecoboost but could've been just me. The ride quality I feel is alot better too. Overall the drive and engine just seems to be more fun.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
I had a 22 xlt 2wd supercrew 2.7 L ecoboost. The major difference is mpg. I was getting 24 in my ecoboost but so far I get around 15-16 mpg in my 23 Rebel 4wd. I will say though the get up and having to speed up in the Hemi is alot better and more powerful. I felt like there was a lag in the ecoboost but could've been just me. The ride quality I feel is alot better too. Overall the drive and engine just seems to be more fun.

It’s definitely a different kind of power. I was getting 17-18 in my 3.5 ecoboost, and so far I’m 16-17 with my Ram. The biggest difference for me is the fuel tank size. I went from a 36 gallon tank in the Ford to a 23 gallon tank in the Ram. The needle moves awful quick in comparison.

RamOwner313

Reaction score
It’s definitely a different kind of power. I was getting 17-18 in my 3.5 ecoboost, and so far I’m 16-17 with my Ram. The biggest difference for me is the fuel tank size. I went from a 36 gallon tank in the Ford to a 23 gallon tank in the Ram. The needle moves awful quick in comparison.
Yep that too! For some odd reason I didn't opt for the larger fuel tank which is my bad. But that has made a big difference.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

That's not bad MPG for a rebel. A simple 4x4 big horn like mine with the 3.21 on lightweight michelin street tires, I can easily hit 24 mpg in my truck. At one point the lie-o-meter on a 3 hour trip highway trip said 28 mpg, but I was working very hard to eek that out of it on purpose. And it's probably a little optimisitic, but 23+ mpg actual/hand calced shouldn't be a problem whatsoever.

irishwake63

Reaction score
I just traded my 21 F150 2.7 for a 22 RAM (used) I have always been a RAM guy and went to the F150 I have a 7k trailer and it towed fine and got awesome mileage when not towing but I was missing that V8 rumble and I knew that I was borderline for the camper. Well that being said I havent been able to enjoy my new RAM yet as its been in the shop waiting on a new Radio I love the way it looks and drives but already have a bad taste in my mouth because of the radio problem touch screen does not respond or doesnt come on at all or flashes on and off. I have always bought new and this was the first used vehicle I purchased in a long while at least they are standing behind it and fixing the issue

Users who are viewing this thread