5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any concerns before leasing?

nlicalsi91

Reaction score
I have a 2015 wrangler with 65,500 miles. My local dealer has a 2020 Laramie crew cab in Delmonico Red (top choice for color) $53,500 msrp With incentives I’m looking at $300 monthly for 36 months 15,000 per year with only $5,000 from the trade in being applied. I’m hoping it’s a good deal but I left yesterday to think it over and might go back tonight to hit them with $280 a month and see if they’ll budge.

Before I go back I’ve been having second thoughts regarding the AC complaints and water leaks. Are these issues that you all think will have been addressed for the 2020 model year? Thanks!
Here’s a pic of the old steed getting traded in

Attachments

• 557144DA-0A0E-4AF0-BF46-C2EAFCFC1B3D.jpeg
    557144DA-0A0E-4AF0-BF46-C2EAFCFC1B3D.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 38

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I'll assume you're trading the Jeep and using the equity to buy down the lease payment? Leasing 101 says you *never* put any cash into a lease. Buying down the payment is giving them your cash to pay out each month. Instead, make them write you a check for the jeep, put it in an account and use that each month to pay down the payment.

For most people, leasing isn't a good idea, financially.

nlicalsi91

Reaction score
I'll assume you're trading the Jeep and using the equity to buy down the lease payment? Leasing 101 says you *never* put any cash into a lease. Buying down the payment is giving them your cash to pay out each month. Instead, make them write you a check for the jeep, put it in an account and use that each month to pay down the payment.

For most people, leasing isn't a good idea, financially.
I'm getting 21,500 for the jeep, only putting 5,000 down then getting a check for the rest

nlicalsi91

Reaction score
Personally, I'd only put down the tax and a payment, but as long as you understand leasing you should be OK.

The issues with these trucks is a whole 'nother thing to think about.
I just figured to get the payment down a bit more, but thank you for the advice! I'm just having second thoughts on the trade in since I still love the jeep, I just hate the ride and the confined cabin being 6'5"

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I just figured to get the payment down a bit more, but thank you for the advice! I'm just having second thoughts on the trade in since I still love the jeep, I just hate the ride and the confined cabin being 6'5"
I only have 1100 miles on my 2020. The ride is great, exterior looks awesome, interior is beautiful, tons of room, but every time I drive it, I hold my breath that one of the issues here is going to show up. It's sort of ruining the experience for me. When Ford releases the 2021 this year, if it's updated enough I think I'll trade this on a 150 diesel. Have to see what happens.

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
I have a 2015 wrangler with 65,500 miles. My local dealer has a 2020 Laramie crew cab in Delmonico Red (top choice for color) $53,500 msrp With incentives I’m looking at $300 monthly for 36 months 15,000 per year with only $5,000 from the trade in being applied. I’m hoping it’s a good deal but I left yesterday to think it over and might go back tonight to hit them with $280 a month and see if they’ll budge.

Before I go back I’ve been having second thoughts regarding the AC complaints and water leaks. Are these issues that you all think will have been addressed for the 2020 model year? Thanks!
Water leaks, Uconnect 12” screen functionality issues, etc. These redesigned trucks are not without their growing pains. The a/c performance has taken on a life of its own. I would highly suggest you test the a/c during the hottest weather for your climate. The fact you are already not convinced of the deal will be really hard to accept if one or more of these issues occur with the truck. IMHO, leases are never a good deal for the average person, unless you trade every lease end, have an allowance from employer, write off as business expense, etc. In any event, I agree with iamtheav8r, the less cash you put into it is best.

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
I only have 1100 miles on my 2020. The ride is great, exterior looks awesome, interior is beautiful, tons of room, but every time I drive it, I hold my breath that one of the issues here is going to show up. It's sort of ruining the experience for me. When Ford releases the 2021 this year, if it's updated enough I think I'll trade this on a 150 diesel. Have to see what happens.
Be sure to check the f150 forums. Freezing doors, 10 speed xmsns that can’t decide what gear to be in, etc. Ford may be forced to update the interior/styling. I don’t think they will stand to be beat by Ram. If it is a complete redesign, it too will have “growing pains”. No manufacturer is immune. In the meantime, you have a great truck.

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
Be sure to check the f150 forums. Freezing doors, 10 speed xmsns that can’t decide what gear to be in, etc. Ford may be forced to update the interior/styling. I don’t think they will stand to be beat by Ram. If it is a complete redesign, it too will have “growing pains”. No manufacturer is immune. In the meantime, you have a great truck.
Forgot to add. I actually owned a ‘17 F150 with those problems experienced first hand. That’s part of the reason I’m in the Ram now.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Ya, I'm well aware, but thanks. Seems quality isn't a thing anymore with anything.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Just hit 9000 miles on my Ram. No leaks or any other issues except the AC. I use the clamp to fix and I can live with that. Current model Ram is miles ahead of other offerings.

kevinjones1997

Reaction score

Leasing is misunderstood by many people. A lease simply means you are buying part of the vehicle for a specified time, with the option to purchase the rest of the vehicle in the future at a predetermined price. I myself lease every vehicle first, and then usually purchase it after the lease matures. If the vehicle turns out to have a lot of problems and/or is a lemon, you can turn it in when the lease matures and you will not have any negative equity. If it has been solid, then you know you've got a good one and can buy it out.

Oftentimes there are not the same rebates on a lease vs. a purchase, and you have to watch out for other fees that get thrown in. Check out leasehackr.com to learn about how leasing works and what to watch out for. As another poster mentioned, you should never put cash down or trade in a vehicle with a significant amount of equity. If the leased vehicle becomes totaled as soon as you leave the parking lot, that money is gone. Good luck!

nlicalsi91

Reaction score
Water leaks, Uconnect 12” screen functionality issues, etc. These redesigned trucks are not without their growing pains. The a/c performance has taken on a life of its own. I would highly suggest you test the a/c during the hottest weather for your climate. The fact you are already not convinced of the deal will be really hard to accept if one or more of these issues occur with the truck. IMHO, leases are never a good deal for the average person, unless you trade every lease end, have an allowance from employer, write off as business expense, etc. In any event, I agree with iamtheav8r, the less cash you put into it is best.
Today’s the hottest day here on Long Island, 55 degrees. I’m starting to lean toward my gut feeling which is a no. If anything I’ll wait til next year in hopes that everything is all worked out on the 2021 models. It is a beautiful truck though!

derp

Reaction score
I cant in good faith reccomend this truck to anyone as a replacement for another ride that to date has been reliable.

So far it is proving to be much more of a hassle than the 120k mile van it replaced.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
My 2019 LoneStar turned 1yr last week (11,600 miles when I got in it this am).
I have had only minor nuisance issues (head unit drops speed dial presets, speaker buzz, etc)

AC is as strong or stronger than the '5, '10, '12 vehicles I had before it. In triple digit Texas heat, the cab is cooled surprisingly quickly...(I'm one of those that anything above 70° and I am hot.)

You will need to test the system to see if it is a good one or not.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

nlicalsi91

Reaction score
I cant in good faith reccomend this truck to anyone as a replacement for another ride that to date has been reliable.

So far it is proving to be much more of a hassle than the 120k mile van it replaced.
Thank you! Yeah it’s been a fairly trouble free ride with an occasional cabin leak on the passenger side after a bad down pour. The carpets pull right out and the drain plugs help resolve that issue.

d19r93

Reaction score
I've had my 2020 1500 Big Horn for about 3 months now, 4K miles on it. I've had the front leak, but that's been my only issue so far. I love my RAM!

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
Today’s the hottest day here on Long Island, 55 degrees. I’m starting to lean toward my gut feeling which is a no. If anything I’ll wait til next year in hopes that everything is all worked out on the 2021 models. It is a beautiful truck though!
I would absolutely wait until you can test the truck in hot weather. Wait and see what the 21 model offers. Also, IMHO, if your hesitating over $20/mo payment diff, you’re probably not sure of the deal anyway. That $720 over 36 months will almost pay for the new tires you will buy if you turn it in. Additionally, any over mileage or more than “normal” wear and tear will cost If you turn in.

Users who are viewing this thread