5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Antifreeze smell

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
my 2020RAM BIG HORN 5.7 nonetorq smells of antifreeze after it has been driven. I've watched the Temps looked for leaks and haven't seen a problem. Truck has 51 k on it. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
my 2020RAM BIG HORN 5.7 nonetorq smells of antifreeze after it has been driven. I've watched the Temps looked for leaks and haven't seen a problem. Truck has 51 k on it. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Even if someone did have a similar experience it wouldn't relate to yours.
Use a flashlight above and under your engine bay.
Do a long drive and then idle for 2-3 minutes and make sure coolant temp is 220 or under with just the fan.
If you are topping it off its possible you are overfilling it also and it's purging the excess.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Most RAM owners have a similar experience, and not once has anyone ever discovered the reason, and it's not an issue.

23RAM

Reaction score
Mine has a faint smell too immediately after parking it. I asked the dealer and they get the complaint a lot and it seems it's just the location of the reservoir bottle vent makes it noticeable.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I have had one since the first week. Took it into a dealer after the second week and they found a small leak on an a/c hose. A month later I took it back and they found a small leak on the heater core hose. The third time I took it in (about a year later because I kinda gave up at that point) they had it 4 days and found nothing.

Still have a faint smell sometimes.

Triton63

Reaction score
Every mopar vehicle I’ve owned since 2009 (4 rams, a wrangler, grand Cherokee, and a Durango) have had a faint coolant smell when parked hot. Best explanation I’ve gotten is the way they design the cooling system venting it will always have a faint smell when hot. And have been told if it’s more than a little or I’m smelling it in the cab to start looking.

ws6guy

Reaction score
yeah mine has a smell towards the drivers side radiator. Coolant level was low but still in the normal range on the dipstick. Took into the dealer, they topped off the fluid and did a pressure test and did not find a leak. This was a few months ago and the coolant has not dropped or at least not enough that I can tell. So I'm just going to ride it out.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
yeah mine has a smell towards the drivers side radiator. Coolant level was low but still in the normal range on the dipstick. Took into the dealer, they topped off the fluid and did a pressure test and did not find a leak. This was a few months ago and the coolant has dropped or at least not enough that I can tell. So I'm just going to ride it out.
When mine does smell it is from drivers side. Which rules out the overflo event being culprit

Raydar

Reaction score
I noticed that smell a couple of months ago, and then, nothing. Blamed it on the "replaced" long block that I was transporting home for a friend of mine.
It appears that some antifreeze had drained out of the block, and had dripped down between the bed and tailgate, onto my tailpipe/resonator. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 😎

Gobassin

Reaction score
My Ram 1500 has the slight odor as does my 2019 Cherokee, and nothing come of it...

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Between my last grand cherokee and this ram 1500 I've got 351,000miles and counting. I've had the smell the entire time, no issues, no leaks.

copcar340

Reaction score
I smell mine on the inside when the Truck is running. I just bought the Truck a few weeks ago and didn't notice until the long drive home from the Out of State Dealer I purchased it from. Back in the Day in older cars this usually meant the Heater Core was bad leaking on the inside. Do these trucks have that Issue? 2021 Ram Laramie Hemi E-Torque.

Users who are viewing this thread