5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Antifreeze smell

Ldc2335

Reaction score
Mines at the dealer now for this and 4 other issues..

You guessed it... 4 out of 5 issues including this one, they could not duplicate

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ive noticed the smell also 19 CC 5.7 non etorque 41k ive drove myself nuts for 6 months, temps at 202 normal, no
worries, i write it off as
normal after constantly looking under hood for leaks

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The overflow tank has a pop on cap that doesn't form a tight seal, I'm guessing we're smelling vapor from there

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You might check to see if your carpet is wet, sounds like it could be a leaking heater core or connection.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Here’s something - if you have the smell and can’t seem to find a solid indicator, check the inside of your windshield. The first indication finally came up the other day, reservoir took 2 litres of antifreeze to top up. Last night I was out picking up my daughter from dance and was waiting in the parking lot, there I found the second indicator - I noticed that an oily film had developed on the windshield. Truck goes in on Thursday, thankfully I found the telltale signs because last time it was pressure tested and techs also said that they couldn’t smell anything.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here’s something - if you have the smell and can’t seem to find a solid indicator, check the inside of your windshield. The first indication finally came up the other day, reservoir took 2 litres of antifreeze to top up. Last night I was out picking up my daughter from dance and was waiting in the parking lot, there I found the second indicator - I noticed that an oily film had developed on the windshield. Truck goes in on Thursday, thankfully I found the telltale signs because last time it was pressure tested and techs also said that they couldn’t smell anything.
Keep us posted on the findings, if any.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Keep us posted on the findings, if any.
Absolutely will - I’ll add to my post: spent about an hour and a half in the truck today (heat on) and my eyes were super irritated, I actually felt very light-headed and nauseous when I got back. Wasn’t cool at all, panicked a bit when I had to steady myself at the door to my house. In looking it up I found that those are common symptoms of glycol (etc) mist inhalation. Not saying that it was *definitely the cause, but I checked most of the boxes on that list of symptoms.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Absolutely will - I’ll add to my post: spent about an hour and a half in the truck today (heat on) and my eyes were super irritated, I actually felt very light-headed and nauseous when I got back. Wasn’t cool at all, panicked a bit when I had to steady myself at the door to my house. In looking it up I found that those are common symptoms of glycol (etc) mist inhalation. Not saying that it was *definitely the cause, but I checked most of the boxes on that list of symptoms.
Well, there it is, heater core is pooched and parts are on back order indefinitely. It’s now a truck that I can’t drive. Well, I would maybe drive with the windows down but this is Canada in the winter. n-f-w

I had mentioned to them a couple of other issues, one was the passenger side step motor (the other had literally just been done a week or so earlier) and they confirmed it needs to be replaced - indefinite backorder. Both rear shocks were slamming, need to be replaced - indefinite backorder.

3 years old, 😑

Users who are viewing this thread