5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti spin Differential

Rambro23

Reaction score
My truck didn’t come with an anti spin differential (although it’s a 4x4). Is this a big deal? It’s mostly used on city streets and highway in Northern CA (Sacramento) but once in a while we make the trip up to Tahoe. It’s weird to me that anti spin (limited slip) is even an option, why not make it standard?

Rambro23

Reaction score
I agree I think they do it just to keep the price down But you do have four-wheel-drive auto for those situations you’re not sure about
Thinking along the same lines as you, but that’s just kind of weak to me. E-Lock as optional is a no brained along with other gear ratios, but ant-spin (LSD) should be standard in any truck in my opinion.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not a huge deal since the traction control is pretty good. I'm thinking about ordering an open differential (deliberately). Having a 3rd differential option is a good thing, not a bad thing: open, LSD, or locker. Each of these behave differently. Not worse or better, different, with each suiting the different needs of how people use these trucks.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Traction control uses the brakes to apply resistance to the spinning wheel which transfers torque to the other wheel with traction. 4-Hi transfers torque to the front wheels. Your truck isn't as handicapped as an old school open differential.

Here's a video of a 2019 Ram open differential with traction control test. Both 2WD and 4WD are tested. An older open differential truck can't do this.

Reaction score
Traction control uses the brakes to apply resistance to the spinning wheel which transfers torque to the other wheel with traction. 4-Hi transfers torque to the front wheels. Your truck isn't as handicapped as an old school open differential.

Here's a video of a 2019 Ram open differential with traction control test. Both 2WD and 4WD are tested. An older open differential truck can't do this.

Good video. I have the limited slip myself, would have been awesome if he had both available to show the difference. I'll say I didn't like that sound when it was forcing the brakes on, whatever the notice was.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good video. I have the limited slip myself, would have been awesome if he had both available to show the difference. I'll say I didn't like that sound when it was forcing the brakes on, whatever the notice was.
I agree but that's how TC works. It's similar to ABS pulsing during a hard stop. It makes some racket. I suspect the sound is worse because the wheel is off the ground and isn't dampened by the trucks weight so it resonates through the truck bed.

I do wish Ram would adopt Jeep's TC strategy which grabs the spinning wheel quicker and more agressive.

whododat

Reaction score
My 2016 had an open differential w 4wd. We took it on the beach at Corolla and had no issues. I do feel there is a difference with the limited slip in my 2019, especially when we drive it on slick roads. I never had an issue in the snow with the open diff in my 2016 as long as I had it in 4wd.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
Not having limited slip is no big deal but nice to have when it gets bad out. Agreed it should be standard but it's just another option they can charge you for that's worth nothing more when you go to trade it in.

machz

Reaction score
This is my second vehicle with an open diff here in snowy NH. With locker that my rubicon had and now my rebel you can't get LSD. LSD is better in the snow but I just pop it in 4wd and it's fine. In 2WD it uses brake lock diff that tries to simulate LSD but it only does an ok job. So in short if you run into slick conditions just pop it into 4wd and you will be fine.

PTRAM

Reaction score
Mine doesn't have it but has the E-locker and I didn't pay enough attention. I just assumed the 3:92 had the limited slip. I have had several in past years and they all had the 3:92 with limited slip--not sure if that was standard with all the 3:92 or not. It had been about 5 years since I have had a Ram so maybe it used to be standard--not sure.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
My build sheet doesn’t show I have an anti slip.

I did order one from moes performance and it arrived today. Every truck I have ever had has had it.

However here is the result of traction control turned off without a LSD when I was in reverse just to “see” what it would do.
1a2cbdfa70bfaf4bfe99626b84e67656.jpg

And here was in my yard since landscaping is getting done tomorrow. Traction control off going forward.
8d87c0187bd40143c035ae4db208023c.jpg

Odd

Here is my build sheet

205e64e909a2800d7024b69f3156a99f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris

Reaction score
My build sheet doesn’t show I have an anti slip.

I did order one from moes performance and it arrived today. Every truck I have ever had has had it.

However here is the result of traction control turned off without a LSD when I was in reverse just to “see” what it would do.
1a2cbdfa70bfaf4bfe99626b84e67656.jpg

And here was in my yard since landscaping is getting done tomorrow. Traction control off going forward.
8d87c0187bd40143c035ae4db208023c.jpg

Odd

Here is my build sheet

205e64e909a2800d7024b69f3156a99f.jpg

Was Traction Control actually "OFF", or "Reduced"? There are multiple modes; hitting the button once just reduces it, but doesn't disable it. I believe that it primarily disables engine power reduction without changing the brake-simulated LSD much, which explains why it allowed enough power to spin both tires by constantly shifting the power between the wheels multiple times a second (the traction control occurs many (hundreds of?) times every second based on ridiculously complicated software).

I think with full Traction Control, you get a short one wheel spin followed by a sharp cut in engine power and smooth (but slow) acceleration without spinning on most surfaces.
Reduce Traction Control (hit the console button once to turn the light on the button and get a console message), and you get most power with brakes trying to make all ways dig (like you see), causing two skid lines and working decently on low traction surfaces to keep moving forward while spinning both wheels.
Disable Traction Control (hold button for (10?) seconds, get a new pop-up console message), and you get an open diff, with the same effect as most other open diffs (primarily a single wheel skid line as all power goes to the wheel with the least resistance); this is good for those times you want to take the truck to the race track and take full advantage of the wheel spins to control the vehicle and maintain high speeds while completing laps in the oval, like all RAM owners like to do with their trucks on the weekend.

As I have said many times before, Mechanical LSD is a poor man's Locker. If you really want to off road or drag race (hint: you bought the wrong truck for drag racing), get a Locker. At low speed, the Locker wins every time and doesn't have clutches that will die in a couple years. At normal speed (and even in low speed many times), the brake-simulated LSD may sound louder on rare occasions but it will essentially match the mechanical LSD. In normal to high speed turns, the LSD is actually worse and can cause you to have LESS control then an open diff and simulated LSD (which can adjust sensitivity based on turning rate, something the Mechanical CANNOT DO).

If you think the cost of the LSD is worth it, then buy the E-Locker because it will benefit you more, give better trade in, and last longer. If you want the LSD so you never have to think about activating it, then spend the same money on the E-Locker and stick with the simulated LSD the 99.999% of the time when you can't even tell it's on, then switch on the E-Locker twice a year when the simulated LSD could work but you have to struggle a bit (when the E-Locker really shines). If you are having trouble justifying the cost of the LSD because you never deal with slick surfaces but still don't want an open diff, skip it and let the simulated LSD amaze you with the advancements in technology.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Pushed once

I ordered a limited slip and I’ll be putting it in soon.

Thanks for educating me on get getting the right truck. Damn if I thought I had a sub 10 second truck that could also go up Everest.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was cringing the entire time I watched that video. Man, he came close to bottoming out! My truck has open diff, and I can say with 100% surety that It will never be subjected to similar testing! Glad he dit it, I guess. Good to know its capabilities.

I have not had any traction issues through one New England winter. If it’s snowing out, I use 4WD HIGH. Otherwise, if road conditions are potentially slick, I leave in 4WD AUTO.

Nothing2Personal

Reaction score
What's better for drifting, e-locker or anti-spin?

I'm about to order a Limited and even after reading some of the excellent contributions on this thread, I'm still having trouble deciding. What I want when I turn traction control (ESP) off, is for both rear wheels to spin together when I floor it. I want to be able to drift in turns. Best descent control or serious 4x4'ing is not so important.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm about to order a Limited and even after reading some of the excellent contributions on this thread, I'm still having trouble deciding. What I want when I turn traction control (ESP) off, is for both rear wheels to spin together when I floor it. I want to be able to drift in turns. Best descent control or serious 4x4'ing is not so important.
Who knows? Most people don't drift in pickups. The E-Locker kicks off automatically around 20 mph so it may not work for your purposes.

Whatever you choose, make sure you take pics and videos of before and after you wreck.
:cool:

Chris

Reaction score

For Dirt Drifting, the LSD works better, with some specialized tires like a dirt rally car uses. You will need to go slower then a rally car is capable of, since the pickup is much heavier and that weight has a much higher center of gravity.

For Street Drifting, you just want tires without traction for this truck, so old bald tires or flat tires are best. Keep in mind you will roll the truck and crash the truck many times, as they are not designed for drifting like a car, but it's your money so spend it however you like.

Anywhere that is good for drifting, you will get circled and smoked all day long by cars, so you may not like having the other drivers laughing at you every time you go out, but to each their own.

Users who are viewing this thread