5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti-Spin Diff vs. E-Locker

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A learning point for me was that the limited slip needs to spin a little before it locks up where the locker doesn’t…Once it is locked. Off road, I thought the limited worked fine for 99% of the off roading I did. I just needed to learn to give it time to work.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A learning point for me was that the limited slip needs to spin a little before it locks up where the locker doesn’t…Once it is locked. Off road, I thought the limited worked fine for 99% of the off roading I did. I just needed to learn to give it time to work.
Limited slips never "lock up". The clutches do their thing to help transfer power to both wheels, but it's never truly locked up. Personally, I'd rather have the limited slip in my truck than the e-locker. It's just a better option for what I do with the truck. But on my Dakota, I replaced the factory limited slip, that had broken itch packs, with a Powertrax No-Slip locker.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying on the terminology I was using. To be honest, a limited slip would have been fine for me and I would not have spec’d the locker if it didn’t come with the Backcountry trim. I think lsd is fine for me. With modern traction control the truck probability would do fine without either.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I fall in the category of not needing an elocker but I wanted it and I think ORG is a great value on these trucks. Granted, I only have 1300 miles on my truck and the tires are basically brand new but I have not had an issue in rain or on gravel. Traction control has only kicked in once and that was when I pulled into traffic on lose gravel with some urgency. Any truck I've ever driven would do the same regardless of a LSD.

VictorK

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.
I have the 2019 4x4 Crew Cab Limited 6'4 box hemi, 3.21 gears and the mileage has been horrible, HOWEVER I did notice if you use the gear limiter control on the steering wheel to max out at 6th gear unless on the highway for a long cruise don't use gears 7 or 8 and you will have a peppier off the line start and better throttle response even on the highway. I always have mileage screen display and often feather the throttle to allow for better mpg and have been getting 1+ mpg better.

It has worked for me, perhaps these tips the engineers could integrate as standard. I am thinking about trading in for a 2023 now and debating 3.92 rear gears and wondering if this would be a better fit for this transmission.

The mileage advertised is way off from what you actually get. I tried changing up my driving styles and unable to duplicate anywhere near 17mpg city the best achieved with a lot of coasting is 15 mpg. 14.7 has been my avg mpg now that I've tried the strategies explained above. Oh i have the limited slip diff but thinking about going for e-locker but that seems to only be activated in 4x4 low up to 40 mpg or any other auto 4x4 or 4x4 high or 2wd up to 20 mph but in those instances if anticipating slippage would just use 4x4 anyway.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the 2019 4x4 Crew Cab Limited 6'4 box hemi, 3.21 gears and the mileage has been horrible, HOWEVER I did notice if you use the gear limiter control on the steering wheel to max out at 6th gear unless on the highway for a long cruise don't use gears 7 or 8 and you will have a peppier off the line start and better throttle response even on the highway. I always have mileage screen display and often feather the throttle to allow for better mpg and have been getting 1+ mpg better.

It has worked for me, perhaps these tips the engineers could integrate as standard. I am thinking about trading in for a 2023 now and debating 3.92 rear gears and wondering if this would be a better fit for this transmission.

The mileage advertised is way off from what you actually get. I tried changing up my driving styles and unable to duplicate anywhere near 17mpg city the best achieved with a lot of coasting is 15 mpg. 14.7 has been my avg mpg now that I've tried the strategies explained above. Oh i have the limited slip diff but thinking about going for e-locker but that seems to only be activated in 4x4 low up to 40 mpg or any other auto 4x4 or 4x4 high or 2wd up to 20 mph but in those instances if anticipating slippage would just use 4x4 anyway.
Using gear limiter set to 6 shouldn't make any difference in being "peppier" off the line as the transmission will still shift normally up to 6th gear. And yes, you will have better throttle response on highway because the transmission doesn't have to down shift as far.

St-na

Reaction score
I am often in New Mexico in Colorado for skiing ⛷️. My 2WD '14 RaM with "anti-spin" never let me down. I was really happy with the performance of this differential.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Limited slips never "lock up". The clutches do their thing to help transfer power to both wheels, but it's never truly locked up. Personally, I'd rather have the limited slip in my truck than the e-locker. It's just a better option for what I do with the truck. But on my Dakota, I replaced the factory limited slip, that had broken itch packs, with a Powertrax No-Slip locker.

Yeah I'm surprised we got so far in this thread before someone said that.

Limited Slip and locker are two totally different devices with totally different uses. For example, you'd NEVER want to engage the locker while on pavement unless it's covered in snow or ice because it has zero ability to slip at the differential. But, off road it will work far better. A limited slip can slip, hence its name, so it's fine on pavement. But, off road they can really suck if conditions get rough.

Limited slip also requires modifier added to the fluid so the clutches can operate. It's sad that sales people don't understand any of this and can't help buyers make informed decisions.

Bigriggin8

Reaction score
I'm about to order my 2019 Laramie Longhorn with just about everything. Was considering the off-road package for just in case situations, mostly snow in NJ, but don't think I'll need it. I'm thinking I'll just get a pair of snows for the winter.

However, reading this thread, one other thing I'm debating is the anti-spin diff or Electronic-locking rear axle. From what I can gather reading the entire thread, if I get E-locking I have to manually engage it with the button. However, with the E-locking rear, I will not have the anti-spin?

I probably won't be going off road (maybe a beach if I ever get to the Outer Banks again). I'm more interested in just having good traction in the snow and wet weather. Taking a Laramie out the other day for a test drive in the rain and making a right from a stop sign, the back tires broke loose. Not sure if that truck had anti-spin, but that was not safe trying to get into traffic. If I had the 4WD auto on, would that prevent that kind of slipping in rain from a stop sign?

I'll be ordering the 3.92 rear also.
Wow, it’s actually scary who’s on the roads now days. Not trying to be an a** but these trucks have traction control yes, it’s new, they all do. They also have a decent amount of power… it’s not that the trucks unsafe it’s that people need to know how to operate the vehicle they are driving….

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But on my Dakota, I replaced the factory limited slip, that had broken itch packs, with a Powertrax No-Slip locker.
Okay, there's new terminology on me. I have a Dakota with LSD, but what are "itch packs"? Sounds like something Grandma would slap on a chigger bite. 🤪

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, there's new terminology on me. I have a Dakota with LSD, but what are "itch packs"? Sounds like something Grandma would slap on a chigger bite. 🤪
Damn auto correct. Clutch packa

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damn auto correct. Clutch packa
Ah, clutch packs. I'm surprised I couldn't pull that out of the context. I don't think mine has those, I think it has tapered seat spider gears. I've grown accustomed to the creaks and groans every time I make a turn. One of the reasons I didn't get LSD on the BigHorn.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ah, clutch packs. I'm surprised I couldn't pull that out of the context. I don't think mine has those, I think it has tapered seat spider gears. I've grown accustomed to the creaks and groans every time I make a turn. One of the reasons I didn't get LSD on the BigHorn.
If it's a factory LSD, then it has clutch packs. The keepers for the clutch packs break putting metal chunks into the pumpkin that can get pulled up into the ring and pinion. This also allows the clutches themselves to move around. When I pulled mine out and replaced it with a Powertrax no-slip, it was working AFAIK, but I had one clutch disc that was cracked, and two keepers were loose in bottom of pumpkin. Getting the correct amount of limited slip additive in is a requirement. The gear oil you buy off the shelf, that claims it already has the additive in it, doesn't have enough.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it's a factory LSD, then it has clutch packs. The keepers for the clutch packs break putting metal chunks into the pumpkin that can get pulled up into the ring and pinion. This also allows the clutches themselves to move around. When I pulled mine out and replaced it with a Powertrax no-slip, it was working AFAIK, but I had one clutch disc that was cracked, and two keepers were loose in bottom of pumpkin. Getting the correct amount of limited slip additive in is a requirement. The gear oil you buy off the shelf, that claims it already has the additive in it, doesn't have enough.
You are correct, I might have been thinking of the Auburn setup. But yeah, a couple discs on each side have a little preload and the spiders mash them tighter under power. I've gotten used to the sounds "Skreeeek" "Eeeronnkk" "Dut-dut-dut-dut". Suppose I could try squirting in some more friction modifier, but I sort of lost interest once I realized it's just annoying and not going to blow up.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
To be technical, you don't have a pumpkin. A pumpkin is the removable section of a Ford 9", or a Mopar 8 3/4" rear axle. Anything else is just a rear end housing.

Users who are viewing this thread