5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Skid Plate Thread

Bookemdano

Reaction score
I intentionally got a Rebel with all the black trim because I don't like chrome. I also wanted the truck to be subdued all around. I didn't think it would bother me as much as it does, but.... that damned silver skid plate. >.<

So I want to make it black. I am leaning toward plasti-dip. I really don't want to tape and spray, I'd rather remove the skid plate. I have read that it's a pain in the butt, tho.

Has anyone removed it themselves and taken pictures they can share? How much of a pita is it, really?

EDIT: Ok, after googling for ages, I posted this question, went looking and found the info I was looking for. In case anyone is ever looking for more detailed info on removing the skid plate, here's a great video. It sure does look like a pita. >.<

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would not use plasti-dip for the skid plate if you're sure you want it black. Plasti-dip is great if you are experimenting with whether or not you'll like the look. It will hold up for a while, but depending on how you use your Rebel, it can't hold up to any real abuse. I suggest going with bed liner after prepping the surface. It will hold up to pretty much anything you throw at it. Just my opinion of course, but if you're going through the trouble of removing it, it would suck if you have to remove it again to re-do it after it starts to come off. Plasti-dip may be fine for years as long as the skid plate isn't ever exposed to anything rubbing or banging against it. But even hitting snow drifts was taking a toll on the skid plate I plasti-dipped on my previous truck (2017 Rebel).

TravisJ

Reaction score
If it is completely a cosmetic thing and you aren't going to make the skid plate do skid plate things I think you will be fine.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
If you are going to go through the trouble of removing the skid plate have it bed-lined or powder coated. Plasti-dip on the lower section of the bumper will be rock/bug pitted after your first few drives and you'll be pulling it off because it looks bad. Then you are back to square one again of removing the skid plate.

jonnyrebel88

Reaction score
I can attest to the skid plate removal is a pain in the a##! So with that said, I would do it right the first time and be done. Mine is currently at my guy to be powdered along with my tow hooks. Better to do it right the first time, than have to do it again.

Users who are viewing this thread