5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another reverse LED idea

rsmeanie

Reaction score
I just fixed the one area of this truck that bugged me. The reverse lights are too dim and I could barely see the curb when backing up. I bought these Soundoff Signal 4" LED pods. These are white only but they have 2 and 3 color models since they're designed for police cars. I didn't want to drill into my bumper so I also bought the 35* mounting wedges that Signal sells too. I used a perfect spot below the bumper on the lower fascia. Since these are police lights, they are programable too with multiple input wiring. One wire goes to the reverse lights from the trailer plug and another one connects to a switch on the dash. That gives me a warning strobe that can be used with my 4-way flasher.

IMG_2822.jpeg IMG_2810.jpeg IMG_2811.jpeg IMG_2815.jpeg IMG_2813.jpeg IMG_2819.jpeg IMG_2817.jpeg

KcRay

Reaction score
I just fixed the one area of this truck that bugged me. The reverse lights are too dim and I could barely see the curb when backing up. I bought these Soundoff Signal 4" LED pods. These are white only but they have 2 and 3 color models since they're designed for police cars. I didn't want to drill into my bumper so I also bought the 35* mounting wedges that Signal sells too. I used a perfect spot below the bumper on the lower fascia. Since these are police lights, they are programable too with multiple input wiring. One wire goes to the reverse lights from the trailer plug and another one connects to a switch on the dash. That gives me a warning strobe that can be used with my 4-way flasher.

View attachment 36517 View attachment 36518 View attachment 36519 View attachment 36520 View attachment 36521 View attachment 36522 View attachment 36523
Like it a lot, looks like they have always belonged there. Nice!
What did you file down, the angle of the wedge?

rsmeanie

Reaction score
Like it a lot, looks like they have always belonged there. Nice!
What did you file down, the angle of the wedge?

Yes, the fascia is not completely flat. I adjusted to follow the curves. The whole thing sits flush, no gaps.

BostonBLS

Reaction score
This is exactly what I have been thinking of doing. Can you send a link to the lights and spacers? Nice work!

rsmeanie

Reaction score
This is exactly what I have been thinking of doing. Can you send a link to the lights and spacers? Nice work!

The lights I bought from Tri State. The wedges I found on eBay. Just a heads up. I bought the ones with the rear studs but if you use the wedge, buy the one with the tape mount. I had to cut the studs off for it to work.

48f3b34df0f90d45f24c425e365938d2.jpg

CharlieP

Reaction score
The lights I bought from Tri State. The wedges I found on eBay. Just a heads up. I bought the ones with the rear studs but if you use the wedge, buy the one with the tape mount. I had to cut the studs off for it to work.

do you like the light output is it bright enough

deanfx

Reaction score
I posted about these forever ago. This is the way to go for sure. Not sure if you mentioned it or not, but you can make them burn steady and not flash. Of course you may know that.

rsmeanie

Reaction score
I posted about these forever ago. This is the way to go for sure. Not sure if you mentioned it or not, but you can make them burn steady and not flash. Of course you may know that.

Yes, I connected the red/white wire to the reverse wire and it comes on full steady white. I also wired a switch on the dash to constant 12v to the solid red wire for the warning strobe. Works great.

Martinwelsh

Reaction score
I have a LED ,very bright light that is made to mount where the license plate is 2top screws . Wired into trucks back-up light

DesertRebel

Reaction score

Do you have a link to the wedges? I like this setup!

I contemplated cutting into the bumper to flush mount some lights - its not gonna work the way I envisioned.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
How much light output do these have?... I've searched everywhere and can't find a single vid in dark with light throw...

I see they are primarily safety lights - so I'm wondering how useful they are for actual illumination of large areas rather than just caution lights?

deanfx

Reaction score
How much light output do these have?... I've searched everywhere and can't find a single vid in dark with light throw...

I see they are primarily safety lights - so I'm wondering how useful they are for actual illumination of large areas rather than just caution lights?
This maybe the video you're looking for.

Gator_BTS

Reaction score

Anyone find a link to the wedges, only thing on found on the bay is for doorbells. Lol

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone do the license plate bracket and these lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 36517 View attachment 36518 View attachment 36519 View attachment 36520 View attachment 36521 View attachment 36522 View attachment 36523

So there is some drilling involved in your install correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread