5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

another question about the U11E9 code

cwarnke

Reaction score
Have the another question about the U11E9 code -(Active Grill Shutters not communicating). I checked all wiring and connections and they look good. I disconnected the Air Damn and it did not clear the check engine light. I replaced the Active Grill Shutter and the issue was not fixed. Any suggestion what I can do next?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you disconnect the AAD, you have to clear the code. It won’t go away by itself

cwarnke

Reaction score
If you disconnect the AAD, you have to clear the code. It won’t go away by itself
Thanks for the reply. I did disconnected the AAD and started the vehicle several times. The code did not clear. Do I need to drive with the AAD disconnected to clear the code? Also the shuttles are not moving.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I did disconnected the AAD and started the vehicle several times. The code did not clear. Do I need to drive with the AAD disconnected to clear the code? Also the shuttles are not moving.
Starting the vehicle does not unset codes. You have to manually clear them with an OBD2 tool of some sort. Many use AlfaOBD. There are others.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can have autozone or someone clear it. Driving it wont help.

An easy way to test the shutters is to remote start or have someone start the vehicle while you look at them. They will perform a self test on startup and should actuate.

cwarnke

Reaction score
You can have autozone or someone clear it. Driving it wont help.

An easy way to test the shutters is to remote start or have someone start the vehicle while you look at them. They will perform a self test on startup and should actuate.
Thanks for the reply. I tried that and the shutters are not moving.

madisond

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I tried that and the shutters are not moving.
I replaced my Grille Shutter first, because that is what the dealership suggested. They wanted $900 to do it there. Coincidentally, my dad owns an auto body shop and orders all his Chrysler parts from the said dealership. So I had him order it for me, factory part right? did not solve my issue. I have since put in the Active Air Dam, also has not worked. Cleared the codes, preformed the test with a professional scan tool multiple times. Still have my check engine light on. My next move is to replace the wire harness. My point to this story is to suggest to you to take it to the dealership. Pay the first chunk of change for them to repair it, when it is not repaired properly, everything from there on out is out of their pocket. I have now $900 into mine with factory parts and it is still not fixed.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I replaced my Grille Shutter first, because that is what the dealership suggested. They wanted $900 to do it there. Coincidentally, my dad owns an auto body shop and orders all his Chrysler parts from the said dealership. So I had him order it for me, factory part right? did not solve my issue. I have since put in the Active Air Dam, also has not worked. Cleared the codes, preformed the test with a professional scan tool multiple times. Still have my check engine light on. My next move is to replace the wire harness. My point to this story is to suggest to you to take it to the dealership. Pay the first chunk of change for them to repair it, when it is not repaired properly, everything from there on out is out of their pocket. I have now $900 into mine with factory parts and it is still not fixed.
Yeah that's not how it works. They will charge you for all the parts they throw at it.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Stop shotgunning it, there are online resources that are almost as good as the manufacturers shop manual.
Alldata diy (what I use) has pretty detailed theory of operation and troubleshooting instructions for our trucks systems.

Reaction score
Stop shotgunning it, there are online resources that are almost as good as the manufacturers shop manual.
Alldata diy (what I use) has pretty detailed theory of operation and troubleshooting instructions for our trucks systems.
My 2019 Ram 1500 Limited also threw a U11E9 code. I decided to replace the grille shutter actuator motor. Removing the front grille on the limited is insane. Even those painted fender flares have to come off. Thanks Ram! Afterwards I erased the code and test drove the truck and the CEL came back on after 15 minutes. Same code. I put a voltage tester on the harness and started the truck. It is supposed to go thru a calibration sequence of opening and closing the shutter but it looks like mine is sending constant 12V to only one terminal of the actuator which is opening the shutters. The other terminal which would close them remains without power. This might be more serious than I thought. Wondering which module controls the shutter.

Reaction score
PCM.
U11E9, PCM lost communication with AGS.
So either the harness is messed up or the entire PCM needs replacing. That sucks! Normally, I wouldn’t care except here in Chicago remote start in the winter time is a must and with the CEL on, remote start doesn’t work.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So either the harness is messed up or the entire PCM needs replacing. That sucks! Normally, I wouldn’t care except here in Chicago remote start in the winter time is a must and with the CEL on, remote start doesn’t work.
I would take a look-see at the harness for any obvious damage, then disconnect the battery and inspect the PCM connector pins and sockets for any anomaly.
Possibly disconnect and reconnect few times in case something is not making a good connection and needs to mechanically cycled couple times.

I highly recommend OBDLink MX+, ALFAobd and a subscription to ALLDataDiy.

Reaction score
I would take a look-see at the harness for any obvious damage, then disconnect the battery and inspect the PCM connector pins and sockets for any anomaly.
Possibly disconnect and reconnect few times in case something is not making a good connection and needs to mechanically cycled couple times.

I highly recommend OBDLink MX+, ALFAobd and a subscription to ALLDataDiy.
Thanks for all your input. I checked all connectors on the harness and the PCM. All seem ok. Everything is clean and free of any corrosion. One sizable connector is located under the left front head lamp behind the bumper. Weird placement for a big connector as water will hit it all the time while driving in rain. Anyway, all checked and seems fine. All other devices powered with this harness work fine. When I unplug the shutter actuator and plug it back in, it opens the shutter and stops when it’s fully open. It won’t close it though. The shutter itself is clean and oiled and moves freely when actuator is disengaged. My CEL is on and I’m suspecting it is the PCM but unfortunately it needs to be programmed after swapping. Sounds like the dealer needs to get involved.

Users who are viewing this thread