5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another leak

jkp94

Reaction score
Shortly after picking up my 2020 Laramie last year I had to get the back glass replaced under warranty for the frame being cracked. The other night after a storm I glanced in the back and noticed a drip from the headliner and a damp spot in the corner. took the side panels off and dropped the headliner down a little bit and was pretty confident that the 3rd brake light was the source.

After looking around on here I decided to order the most recent part number along with the new recommended screws. Posting some pics in case anyone is curious about the difference between the two. Old is on the left and new on the right, as far as the screws the shorter ones are the new (torx head vs phillips). So far the new one seems to have fixed the issue.

IMG_2195.jpeg IMG_2193.jpeg IMG_2194.jpeg

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shortly after picking up my 2020 Laramie last year I had to get the back glass replaced under warranty for the frame being cracked. The other night after a storm I glanced in the back and noticed a drip from the headliner and a damp spot in the corner. took the side panels off and dropped the headliner down a little bit and was pretty confident that the 3rd brake light was the source.

After looking around on here I decided to order the most recent part number along with the new recommended screws. Posting some pics in case anyone is curious about the difference between the two. Old is on the left and new on the right, as far as the screws the shorter ones are the new (torx head vs phillips). So far the new one seems to have fixed the issue.

View attachment 167151 View attachment 167152 View attachment 167153
Isn't there an extended warranty out on the lights?

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Isn't there an extended warranty out on the lights?

In the regular extended warranty or a special warranty from Mopar? The regular extended warranty does not cover leaks, trim, or glass. I know this because that's how they said no to my rear window replacement. My service rep at the dealer got it covered because I brought it to them for multiple leaking issues under the factory warranty.

The new light almost looks exactly like the original after you scrape the old seal off and add the weatherstrip from Home Depot. It's almost as if Mopar looked on this forum for the re-design lol.

Last edited:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I need to get this light on order. First I successfully re-sealed with the marine gasket but cracked the housing at the screws. The replacement was an eBay special, the shape of the light seemed to have too much curve and I fudged up the gasket. Needless to say when it really down pours there's a tiny drip in the corner. Third time's a charm

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the regular extended warranty or a special warranty from Mopar? The regular extended warranty does not cover leaks, trim, or glass. I know this because that's how they said no to my rear window replacement. My service rep at the dealer got it covered because I brought it to them for multiple leaking issues under the factory warranty.

The new light almost looks exactly like the original after you scrape the old seal off and add the weatherstrip from Home Depot. It's almost as if Mopar looked on this forum for the re-design lol.
covered 10 year 150k miles. You should get reimbursed for the money spent.

Attachments

• chmsl.pdf
    62.6 KB · Views: 11

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
covered 10 year 150k miles. You should get reimbursed for the money spent.

Interesting. All I did was replace the weatherstrip. It's not leaking. But for the money, maybe it's just worth buying the upgraded light and screws to be safe.

Appreciate the info. Did not know this.

Users who are viewing this thread