5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Fuel Tank Comment

Cudapower

Reaction score
Its been discussed several times but I wanted to add this. I have a 2019 Ram and I ordered the larger gas tank. I had a 2013 with the larger tank and the gas gauge always read as the smaller tank, thus leaving 5-6 gallons in it when it reads empty. I could never find out if the new series trucks were ever fixed to read accurately. Today I was around home with an empty tank so I ran it until it said it had 15 miles left. I filled it and it took 30.2 gallons. That's pretty much accurate for most tank gauges. They must have calibrated the new trucks closer. I would call that just about perfect, leaving about 2 gallons. I always wondered if I still had a large cushion or not. Now I know and others with the 33 gallon tank hopefully do too. This Ram has just been perfect for 30,000 miles now so I should have guessed the fuel gauge would be too.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I never minded the extra cushion in my 2014 (same issue sometimes as your 2013), but good to know I don't have it in my 2020. :)

Thanks!

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
Its been discussed several times but I wanted to add this. I have a 2019 Ram and I ordered the larger gas tank. I had a 2013 with the larger tank and the gas gauge always read as the smaller tank, thus leaving 5-6 gallons in it when it reads empty. I could never find out if the new series trucks were ever fixed to read accurately. Today I was around home with an empty tank so I ran it until it said it had 15 miles left. I filled it and it took 30.2 gallons. That's pretty much accurate for most tank gauges. They must have calibrated the new trucks closer. I would call that just about perfect, leaving about 2 gallons. I always wondered if I still had a large cushion or not. Now I know and others with the 33 gallon tank hopefully do too. This Ram has just been perfect for 30,000 miles now so I should have guessed the fuel gauge would be too.
That makes complete sense, when ever I fill up it tops off at around 26-28 gallons but the Guatemalan says I have around 20-40 miles b4 empty. So is there a way to calibrate it to 33gal

Cudapower

Reaction score
None that I have ever heard of. My dealer investigated it (supposedly) and said there were never any updates made for that issue.

Users who are viewing this thread