5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another dash speaker “upgrade” thread / review

ddharris

Reaction score
Just completed the infinity Ref speaker changeout in the dash in all three locations on the Alpine system. Overall a net gain in crispness and clarity. If you are on the fence I think it’s a good upgrade. That being said if you do this be prepared that highs will be pronounced. The Alpine system is what I would consider a “ flat” sound. It will take time for your ears to get used to the new sizzle with the highs frequency now. Slight adjustment in the EQ was all that was needed for myself. Good part is you can always go back , put the stock center speaker back in etc. Give yourself time to adjust is my only advice. I like it. Cheap and easy. Straight hookups using the metra harness . Did not worry with this “out of phase” one speaker thing. No issues.

DD

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a similar experience with recently putting in the JBL Club speakers with 600 hz high pass bass blockers in the corner dash. I left the center dash speaker stock. The highs are very pronounced, and I was surprised that it does seem like the door speakers are quieter more than I thought they'd be (the JBL, like the Infinity you put in, are 3 ohm). Took some adjusting of the EQ and fade but it seems good now. The highs are definitely better.

ddharris

Reaction score
I had a similar experience with recently putting in the JBL Club speakers with 600 hz high pass bass blockers in the corner dash. I left the center dash speaker stock. The highs are very pronounced, and I was surprised that it does seem like the door speakers are quieter more than I thought they'd be (the JBL, like the Infinity you put in, are 3 ohm). Took some adjusting of the EQ and fade but it seems good now. The highs are definitely better.
The Infinity 3.5 came with a cap already installed on the positive. I am assuming with the Alpine system that is all that’s needed since only mids and highs pump to the dash speakers?

cajun456

Reaction score
I am not sure about the Alpine system, but on the base system the dash speakers are 2 ohms so putting a 4 ohm resistor in line with the positive wire "tones" down the dash speakers.

jrw921

Reaction score
I have the Alpine 9 speaker system and getting ready to install the Infinity 3032s dash corners tomorrow and Crutchfield says to make sure I wire in the 270 Microfarad capacitors that came with the speakers. WHAT?? What was the purpose of buying the plug in adapters if I have to cut, splice, and tape these bad boys in the + side. Anyone do this???
If I don't use them, what is the outcome? I see several posts by people who just plugged in the adapters and had no problems.

Attachments

• capacitors.jpg
    capacitors.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 55

jrw921

Reaction score
Just completed the infinity Ref speaker changeout in the dash in all three locations on the Alpine system. Overall a net gain in crispness and clarity. If you are on the fence I think it’s a good upgrade. That being said if you do this be prepared that highs will be pronounced. The Alpine system is what I would consider a “ flat” sound. It will take time for your ears to get used to the new sizzle with the highs frequency now. Slight adjustment in the EQ was all that was needed for myself. Good part is you can always go back , put the stock center speaker back in etc. Give yourself time to adjust is my only advice. I like it. Cheap and easy. Straight hookups using the metra harness . Did not worry with this “out of phase” one speaker thing. No issues.

DD
Did you use the capacitors on the + side that came with the speakers?

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Alpine 9 speaker system and getting ready to install the Infinity 3032s dash corners tomorrow and Crutchfield says to make sure I wire in the 270 Microfarad capacitors that came with the speakers. WHAT?? What was the purpose of buying the plug in adapters if I have to cut, splice, and tape these bad boys in the + side. Anyone do this???
If I don't use them, what is the outcome? I see several posts by people who just plugged in the adapters and had no problems.

Weird. I bought the same speakers and they were already soldered into place between the positive blade and the wire running inside the speaker....no other capacitor was in the package and they sound great.
b33d935450e0b8e14e63dfe28edcf7ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrw921

Reaction score
those arent the capacitors. They are in the bottom of the styrofoam packaging. Much larger black cylinders. 1621084822160.png

CRAIG4FSU

Reaction score
What speaker is in the dash center position with the Alpine 9 speaker system? I did the the Infinity corner speaker swap last night and it's a big improvement. If swapping the center speaker is just more treble, I'll probably pass.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
What speaker is in the dash center position with the Alpine 9 speaker system? I did the the Infinity corner speaker swap last night and it's a big improvement. If swapping the center speaker is just more treble, I'll probably pass.
I did the corners and then later the middle. The middle was too bright for me, so I pulled it and un-soldered the tweeter. Sounds perfect now.

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/