5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another "Carplay not working" thread (2020 Laramie 12" screen)

socalheel

Reaction score
Hey everyone! As the title says, my Carplay just stopped working recently.

iPhone 11 with iOS 15.2.

I have gone through the settings on my phone, and allowed Carplay and it started working just fine... for a day, then all of a sudden, the Carplay icon never shows up when I plug my phone into the cable. I don't think its my phone b/c Carplay works with my girlfriends Honda.

Steps I've already taken that did NOT resolve:
- Called Uconnect support and was very disappointed with the support I received;
- Tried multiple cables, USB-A and USB-C to lightning, both apple certified as well as apple oem cables;
- Reset Uconnect to factory settings through the settings in the UI;
- I disconnected the negative cable from my battery for 2-3 hours (I unplugged it and then went back inside to finish working and left it unplugged);
- With truck running, reset my iPhone and "forgot" all connected bluetooth devices; removed my phone from Uconnect and then went through multiple "soft reboots" that I don't think ever actually rebooted (depressing power on/off, depressing power on/off while depressing tune knob, pressing mute and tune knob).

I have seen SO many people posting up the same problem, but I haven't really seen a firm resolution for this and I have two questions:

1). Can you actually reboot my model of Uconnect? If yes, how?
2). Is there a solid solution to getting Carplay working again? I don't want to deal with the dealership, but I will if I have to.

Thank you in advance!

Jasper1

Reaction score
on my second radio replacement, same thing happened again, no car play or usb working. called dealer and they are contacting chrysler to see what is next step. dealer has been very good. 2019 laramie 12 inch radio.

socalheel

Reaction score
Thanks Jasper...
This morning I took my phone and connected to my mother's car and Carplay worked just fine... so I know it's not the phone.

I also noticed the phone connection goes in and out, constantly... on my phone, the lightning bolt displays on the battery, then goes away, and I hear the connection 'ding' and then lightning bolt appears and then goes away again.

I stopped by the local dealership and showed the service manager the video of my phone's behavior. He said it could be software update, radio is going bad, or media hub is bad... bottom line I have an appointment on 05 Jan 2022 to get it looked at.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Thanks Jasper...
This morning I took my phone and connected to my mother's car and Carplay worked just fine... so I know it's not the phone.

I also noticed the phone connection goes in and out, constantly... on my phone, the lightning bolt displays on the battery, then goes away, and I hear the connection 'ding' and then lightning bolt appears and then goes away again.

I stopped by the local dealership and showed the service manager the video of my phone's behavior. He said it could be software update, radio is going bad, or media hub is bad... bottom line I have an appointment on 05 Jan 2022 to get it looked at.
Sounds possibly like a media hub going bad with the charge indicator going in and out. I say this because you’ve tried multiple cables and you’re not even getting the CarPlay icon. Yes it could be the radio but I’d be willing to start with the hub as they’re most likely easier to obtain right now.

Since you don’t have a signature to state this; what year is your truck? Previous to ‘22s there isn’t a soft reset that I was aware of. The ‘22s do have a soft reset by holding down the power button for roughly 15 sec.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
on my second radio replacement, same thing happened again, no car play or usb working. called dealer and they are contacting chrysler to see what is next step. dealer has been very good. 2019 laramie 12 inch radio.
Did they replace your media hub also? Never had any issues with my ‘19. I was one of the lucky ones, I know. 🙈🙂

socalheel

Reaction score
Since you don’t have a signature to state this; what year is your truck? Previous to ‘22s there isn’t a soft reset that I was aware of. The ‘22s do have a soft reset by holding down the power button for roughly 15 sec.
thanks for the input my friend, and i have a 2020 1500 Laramie (not in signature but in the thread title :)).

As an update to this thread, I finally was able to get into the dealership (we had to shuffle around the appointments due to inclement weather). It's definitely the media hub, but it's not the front center hub, it's the rear media hub. Technician said they run the same circuit and that's why the rear is messing with the front.

They have the replacement parts in shop now, just need to get the time to get it in and replace.

Users who are viewing this thread