5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another 3.6L vs Hemi Thread

OtisFranklin

Reaction score
Contemplating a buying a new 2019 1500 4wd. I have researched the varying gas mileage ratings - motor trend says V6 has very disappointing gas mileage, EPA says 2 mpg better than the hemi - but you should put 89 in the hemi. Google it and Ward's Auto basically says the 2019 V6 is the best engine ever and they got 21 to 22 mpg on a 4wd.

So, I'm looking for real results from folks who have driven the 2019 4wd (both/either v6 and hemi) and what gas mileages have you been getting. For my purposes, I don't need the hemi- no towing, but I remain skeptical of a V6 in a big truck. Thx for any comments

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you look at my fuelly.com in my sig block you can compare. I had a 2014 Outdoorsman with the V6 and currently have a 2019 Rebel with Hemi, now I don't have anywhere the mileage on the Hemi yet.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
4wd hemi, nin e-torque limited, 3:21, averages 15 around town, and 19-20 highway at 75-80mph. Just made a drive from Michigan to San Diego, so my highway mileage is very current. Truck is at 17k miles. Had not so good mileage when it was brand new. Got way better as it crossed 5k miles.

taz2016

Reaction score
There are other mileage threads out there if you search.
In my case I will do no heavy towing. If I was going to I would have bought a Hemi or diesel. That being said my Pentastar e-torque 4wd with 3.55 gears is rated to tow almost 7500 pounds.
I am averaging a little over 19 mpg mixed driving. The overly optimistic computer claims a mile or so better per gallon. Although the Hemi would be nice, the V6 e-torque provides plenty of power for normal driving.

ponypride

Reaction score
4wd hemi, nin e-torque limited, 3:21, averages 15 around town, and 19-20 highway at 75-80mph. Just made a drive from Michigan to San Diego, so my highway mileage is very current. Truck is at 17k miles. Had not so good mileage when it was brand new. Got way better as it crossed 5k miles.
I have the same configuration as HeliPilot but on a Laramie. In pure highway driving I get about 22. Most of my daily driving is backroads and I get 16-17.

OtisFranklin

Reaction score
thx for all the responses; the fuelly dot com thing seems as corrupt as a government. Is a gas hybrid on fuelly.com the e-torque thing? There are 2 gas/hybrid and several hundred gas only for the V6.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
but you should put 89 in the hemi.
I am only quoting the octane comment because I do not have a 4wd (I know, what was I thinking? Why bother getting one without it.....lol). I have been running 87 since I bought mine. Mostly because I didn't know 89 was recommended. But even after I read that in the manual and elsewhere, I noticed my engine ran fine on 87. I hear no knocking or pinging even with hard accel. Anyone else running 87 in their HEMI?

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Pentastar V6 is a great engine. However, I would never buy a full size truck with a V6. I actually got rid of a Jeep Wrangler with the Pentastar to get a Hemi RAM because the V6 couldn't maintain speed going up hill while pulling my boat. I am not particularly fond of my gas mileage; but its a full size truck and I don't expect to get great mileage. Personally, I would rather pay a little more for gas than to get a truck that doesn't have enough power when I need it.

Damion

Reaction score
The HEMI will also have a better resale price when the time comes....

Honestly for what little bit more the HEMI will use in fuel, its not really worth looking at the V6 in my mind.

Firebird

Reaction score
The 3.6 is an excellent engine, and actually drives fairly well. However, I wouldn’t choose it over the Hemi for some marginal economy,

snj1013

Reaction score
My RWD Hemi is getting 18-19 mpg in mixed driving. You will need to keep your foot out of it but it can be done.

OtisFranklin

Reaction score
Well, I ending going with the V6 4x4 warlock, no etorque; because I got what I thought was a smoking Out the door price. Just did my first hand calc gas mileage, came in at a disappointing 18.5 mpg; the computer told me I got 20.4. It was only 115 miles and I did almost floor it briefly a couple of times to test the power (which is ample for me); it was about 65% highway miles.

Users who are viewing this thread