5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Annoying issue with Diode Dynamics hitch mount reverse light, with an easy fix

ProjectsInMotion

Reaction score
I recently installed the Diode Dynamics hitch mount reverse light kit, and I'm mostly happy with it. It has one serious flaw, in my opinion. The electrical connector is a sealed Deutsch connector, which is great, but when you remove the light to install a hitch, the connector is just left dangling and, of more concern, exposed to the elements. You can tuck the connector up behind the bumper, but it's still only sealed if it's connected.

PXL_20230609_143532523.jpg

Deutsch sells a cap exactly for this situation, part # 1011-346-0405, which really should be included in the kit.
PXL_20230609_143316222.jpg
PXL_20230609_143612309.jpg

The cap itself is cheap, $1.04 each for low quantities at Mouser right now. The issue with ordering just one is the shipping. I bought mine from Amazon because, once shipping was factored in, it was the cheapest route. Perhaps an enterprising vendor like @Shifts And Grins Fab could sell the caps alongside the lights to help out buyers.

Cheers

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I recently installed the Diode Dynamics hitch mount reverse light kit, and I'm mostly happy with it. It has one serious flaw, in my opinion. The electrical connector is a sealed Deutsch connector, which is great, but when you remove the light to install a hitch, the connector is just left dangling and, of more concern, exposed to the elements. You can tuck the connector up behind the bumper, but it's still only sealed if it's connected.

View attachment 160463

Deutsch sells a cap exactly for this situation, part # 1011-346-0405, which really should be included in the kit.
View attachment 160464
View attachment 160465

The cap itself is cheap, $1.04 each for low quantities at Mouser right now. The issue with ordering just one is the shipping. I bought mine from Amazon because, once shipping was factored in, it was the cheapest route. Perhaps an enterprising vendor like @Shifts And Grins Fab could sell the caps alongside the lights to help out buyers.

Cheers
I gotta give you a few (y)(y)(y)(y)

Is this it?

RickWaz

Reaction score

View attachment 160463

View attachment 160464
View attachment 160465

Cheers
THANKS for the tip & link! This Diode Dynamic reverse light pod is extremely bright (brighter than my Putco 60" taillight bar).

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I talked to one of my contacts at Diode Dynamics tonight. Soon these kits will include the plug. It’s already been addressed and in the works.
That's cool they are actually doing something about it.
Doesn't help me for the 2 pods I already bought lol, but I don't use my hitch often so I don't think it really matters for me.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
That's cool they are actually doing something about it.
Doesn't help me for the 2 pods I already bought lol, but I don't use my hitch often so I don't think it really matters for me.
If you need any down the road, let me know and I will see if Diode Dynamics can send me some to send out. If not I can source some myself.

Users who are viewing this thread