5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android Auto, whats the upside?

cjmst23

Reaction score
Not sure why it's not sinking in for me... Been a long day.

I get the concept, just not sure where and how? I'd love to load in 3 or 4 addresses to hit during the day then just dump em into uconnect nav

Where do you enter the address?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Not sure why it's not sinking in for me... Been a long day.

I get the concept, just not sure where and how? I'd love to load in 3 or 4 addresses to hit during the day then just dump em into uconnect nav

Where do you enter the address?
Ah, got it.

Go to the "Location" tab/section on the app, and enter the address on the search field. Once it finds it, it will drop a pin on the map. Tapping the pin will bring out the option to call or send to truck (and also add it to favorites while at it).

cjmst23

Reaction score
Ah, got it.

Go to the "Location" tab/section on the app, and enter the address on the search field. Once it finds it, it will drop a pin on the map. Tapping the pin will bring out the option to call or send to truck (and also add it to favorites while at it).
Thx... Not sure how I missed that. Not a bad feature. Appreciate your help

Royal27

Reaction score
I wish you could turn off the text notifications all together. I don't like them popping up on screen. No option though.

I don't see the point of showing messages that in most cases I already know are there.

jkratze1

Reaction score
Android auto is complety useless as it stands. Even though Google maps will always be superior, uconnect nav is better than most.

Not to mention, who wants to plug the phone in to a wire everytime in and out of the truck?

If you could just tell your phone the destination, have it us Google to identify the address, and Bluetooth that to feed the uconnect nav the address.... It would be perfect.

I find the Uconnect 4C Nav has a much better display quality than Google Maps. The colors and resolution look so much better and crisper than Google Maps which has a dull display. I agree that Uconnect Nav needs the voice recognition ability so that I can speak the destination address instead of manually entering it. That is one thing that Google Maps has going for it.

Last edited:

tcm4950

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I tried android auto. Thought it sucked. Was kinda dated and not worth it, so I deleted it. Uconnect much better imho.

dano257

Reaction score
I like the Android Auto feature. I plug the phone in and then use voice commands to control the music, send and receive text messages, enter addresses to the google maps. While my phone is plugged in I just use the "Ok Google" command followed by what I want to do, IE: "Ok Google" it responds, then I speak what I want to do, "text Bill" then speak the text and it gets sent. "Ok Google" "play AC/DC on Spotify" and it tunes to that. I find it vet convenient and easy to use. WOuld be great if it worked wirelessly! Just my 2 cents.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I like the Android Auto feature. I plug the phone in and then use voice commands to control the music, send and receive text messages, enter addresses to the google maps. While my phone is plugged in I just use the "Ok Google" command followed by what I want to do, IE: "Ok Google" it responds, then I speak what I want to do, "text Bill" then speak the text and it gets sent. "Ok Google" "play AC/DC on Spotify" and it tunes to that. I find it vet convenient and easy to use. WOuld be great if it worked wirelessly! Just my 2 cents.
Agree. Although I am on CarPlay, but same concept. They’re both light-years ahead of Uconnect in voice recognition.

tcm4950

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Agree. Although I am on CarPlay, but same concept. They’re both light-years ahead of Uconnect in voice recognition.
wonder what I'm doing wrong ? this has not been my experience at all.
My android auto has the appearance and capabilities of a program from the late 90's

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
wonder what I'm doing wrong ? this has not been my experience at all.
My android auto has the appearance and capabilities of a program from the late 90's
Have you updated it? Recent update made it look totally different. Works great. Pics are from my Charger, but would appear the same in the Ram. 20200220_160933.jpg 20200220_161022.jpg 

drew7811

Reaction score
Put me down as a fan and user of Android Auto. It's way better than what Uconnect provides IMHO. The only gripe I have is the same as everyone. It's not wireless. Hopefully one day they will get this figured out.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Put me down as a fan and user of Android Auto. It's way better than what Uconnect provides IMHO. The only gripe I have is the same as everyone. It's not wireless. Hopefully one day they will get this figured out.
They already have, although we will not see it in our current gen radios. Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto is a feature on the upcoming UConnect 5, which will be available on the 2021 models according to reports.

Last edited:

DesertRebel

Reaction score
They already have, although we will not see it in our current gen radios. Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto is a feature on the upcoming UConnect 5, which will be available on the 2021 models according to reports.
So my future TRX will have it - nice :giggle:

GladdBag

Reaction score
One benefit I find with having Android Auto is playing music through the phone rather than just a USB thumb drive. I use PowerAmp as my music player and it has a fantastic equalizer that you can use to really fine-tune the sound, rather than just the stock bass-mids-highs EQ on the Uconnect.

Lake Ram

Reaction score
I found that using the USB C port and a type C 3.2 cable solved my problem. And yes, I only use the cable for Google maps and Waze, otherwise the bluetooth works just fine.

rourky80

Reaction score
For those of us where stock has android auto support, and wireless through the headunit will not be supported.... AA wireless is coming. A little black box that is connected by cable to a usb port, but can stay and not always be plugged and unplugged (in the hope that it is less affected by cable issues).
I have backed this and waiting on mine to come early next year, the first batch is sent next month. The owner has been working on this for years, and through xda forum (android forum). Looks like its a legit contender to make it through as promised.
For those concerned about plugging in for charging, you can then use the charge only usb in the armrest, the second usb or hook up a wireless charger to the usb and wirelessly charge phone as required (my plan).

Users who are viewing this thread