5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android Auto, whats the upside?

Mason1217

Reaction score
First off, when I first got the truck I set up android auto no problem, bit now when I plug my phone in, it never works, just gives me a ton of annoying messeges and my phone just shows a bunch of options like charge only, file transfer, midi input and some other crap it didn't show the first time. But before I even attempt to figure it out, what's the point really compared to just bluetooth pairing? Strictly to use 3rd party nav? The couple days it worked I didn't get it? Bluetooth reads texts already, android auto only exists for using Waze and voice response?

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s not just Android Auto. My Apple does similar things on my RAM and Audi. I may try new cables and fresh start this weekend.

Mason1217

Reaction score
That's kinda my point, before I go trying all kinds of crap and buying new stuff, is it even worth it lol? I dont know that the pain in the *** trying to get it to work again is even worth it.

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
It might just be the cable...

Disclaimer I'm a closet nerd so I'm telling my truck to turn on different lights in the house, unlock doors, set my temp etc. It's not for everyone

I also think the sound quality for audio is better plugged in vs Bluetooth.

Google's ability to reroute for traffic or other events also is superior.

But is this isn't your cup of tea then uconnect its self is still a beast of a system regardless

Mason1217

Reaction score
And now this ‍♂️ the app wont open based on google play services? So it's not a stand alone app? This cant be worth it lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180928-054203_Android Auto.jpg
    Screenshot_20180928-054203_Android Auto.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 104

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
When my truck comes in, I'll use Android Auto extensively for Google Maps. I haven't come across an in-car nav system I've actually liked, so I plan to just use Maps.

I don't care about any other functionality--the ability to play audio from my phone via USB instead of bluetooth is absolutely not a deal breaker, since I've done bluetooth streaming for years and have never had problems with audio quality. I also wear hearing aids, so there's that...

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty much comes down to maps and music. Having a choice on navigation is nice and IMO Google Maps is superior to the stock maps.

The text and call implementation stock over Bluetooth is pretty good so I wouldn’t give an advantage one way or the other. I know apple gives you the ability to voice respond for text, haven’t tried that yet in stock.

The music is the biggest thing IMO. Most people use their phones as their music device so it’s usually the one always updated. I know the USB drive in my truck doesn’t have my latest downloads....I always seem to have to “get around” to that. The music also uses the DAC in your phone which to my ears, is superior to the stock system. When I says stock, I mean any Ram offered system. I haven’t looked for specifications on the Ram radios yet but I would be willing to wager the DAC is not as good as even a lower end Kenwood or Pioneer.

loucigar

Reaction score
The USB cable really matters. I know it sounds crazy, but it does. If you don't have the original for your phone buy the fastest/highest quality one you can get your hands on. The functionality may be flaky or not there at all without a proper cable.

I love the Android auto with my new RAM. The advantage of google maps over a vehicle navigation system is that it's always up to date and it doesn't cost extra. Why pay for Nav if you have a smart phone and Android auto? I also use Waze sometimes. I do like the Google Play music and Audible options as well. The texting is way superior over the Uconnect in that you can dictate your text response and send it. Don't have to settle for pre-existing responses. I am a big fan, wish I didn't have to pug it in, but it's worth it. The additional google search and other commands by voice are really nice too.

Vanguard27

Reaction score
I use my truck for work, so its very useful to have my appointments come up on android auto, then I can just click them to nav to the address.

Also Like Waze/Google maps, and you don't have to pay to update it.

It also works better with audible, and selecting audiobooks, and with google play music, for selecting playlists, or radio stations.

knelso4

Reaction score
When my truck comes in, I'll use Android Auto extensively for Google Maps. I haven't come across an in-car nav system I've actually liked, so I plan to just use Maps.

I don't care about any other functionality--the ability to play audio from my phone via USB instead of bluetooth is absolutely not a deal breaker, since I've done bluetooth streaming for years and have never had problems with audio quality. I also wear hearing aids, so there's that...

Google maps is good, but the implementation is poor. The big block with the next turn covers too much of the map area. Next turn info should be along the top or bottom, just like the native Android version. Also the font is too smal on a 8.4 nav screen.

knelso4

Reaction score
I use Android Auto for text messaging, Spotify, Waze. I like it more than what is built into UConnect. The only annoying thing is having to plug in my phone with the cable. I would prefer a wireless Android Auto.
There is no legitimate reason for requiring the cable vs bluetooth. Only some engineers' idea that everyone will be going on long drives and would want to keep the phone charged. Does anyone know how to get Google (specifically Android Auto dev team) to address this and the big block with the net turn info?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I use Android Auto for text messaging, Spotify, Waze. I like it more than what is built into UConnect. The only annoying thing is having to plug in my phone with the cable. I would prefer a wireless Android Auto.
Same here with Apple CarPlay. Wireless would be the bomb. It would be ideal if it were to be released as a UConnect firmware update, but I'm not holding my breath.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
There is no legitimate reason for requiring the cable vs bluetooth. Only some engineers' idea that everyone will be going on long drives and would want to keep the phone charged. Does anyone know how to get Google (specifically Android Auto dev team) to address this and the big block with the net turn info?
Yeah, except moot point if you're rocking a phone that supports inductive charging, so I doubt that's the reason, and it's not technical either. BMW 5 series have had wireless CarPlay for a couple of years now (and inductive charging).

cjmst23

Reaction score
Android auto is complety useless as it stands. Even though Google maps will always be superior, uconnect nav is better than most.

Not to mention, who wants to plug the phone in to a wire everytime in and out of the truck?

If you could just tell your phone the destination, have it us Google to identify the address, and Bluetooth that to feed the uconnect nav the address.... It would be perfect.

Mason1217

Reaction score
Android auto is complety useless as it stands. Even though Google maps will always be superior, uconnect nav is better than most.

Not to mention, who wants to plug the phone in to a wire everytime in and out of the truck?

If you could just tell your phone the destination, have it us Google to identify the address, and Bluetooth that to feed the uconnect nav the address.... It would be perfect.
I noticed in the settings of uconnect, I think under apps maybe? Something said "send and go" when I clicked it it said like no recent addresses or something? I never gave it much thought after that and didn't feel like I cared enough to get the manual out or research it lol.

cjmst23

Reaction score
I noticed in the settings of uconnect, I think under apps maybe? Something said "send and go" when I clicked it it said like no recent addresses or something? I never gave it much thought after that and didn't feel like I cared enough to get the manual out or research it lol.
Anyone ever figure out the "send and go"?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Send and go is Say too are at your desktop and you know you have an appointment coming up st a certain place and need directions. You put in the address and send it and can quickly retrieve from the vehicle so you don’t have to type it in.

Users who are viewing this thread