5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android auto w/ 12" uconnect

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
For those that have the 12" uconnect and use android auto, what exactly does android auto do? Will it mirror the phone screen onto the uconnect screen for videos or movies? Can it be used via bluetooth instead of a cable? I'm not a huge fan but I do use google for some thing's. I'm just curious about using it in my 21 Ram.

beetlespin

Reaction score
Not sure about the 12" screen but with my 8" I use it for Google Maps and Panorama. They don't exactly emulate what you see on the phone. Pair them and see for yourself, not really difficult. Also, the bluetooth connection works pretty good. No more fumbling with cables.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For those that have the 12" uconnect and use android auto, what exactly does android auto do? Will it mirror the phone screen onto the uconnect screen for videos or movies? Can it be used via bluetooth instead of a cable? I'm not a huge fan but I do use google for some thing's. I'm just curious about using it in my 21 Ram.
Android Auto can only be used on the 12* display when phone is plugged in. It does not emulate the phone screen, just allows access to a few apps in your phone such as maps and audio. Doesn't display video. I pretty much I ly use mine for Google map navigation because the factory nav sucks. I'd rather have a more accurate navigation display on half the screen, than full screen crappy navigation

n8zcc

Reaction score
Android Auto can only be used on the 12* display when phone is plugged in. It does not emulate the phone screen, just allows access to a few apps in your phone such as maps and audio.
On the newer version of Uconnect, wireless Android Auto and I believe Car Play is now supported. On my Uconnect 5 with my Samsung s21, Bluetooth is used for telephone and text but WiFi is used for the balance of Android Auto features.

OP, look at Andriod Auto as your phone has been extended to your vehicle's screen and steering wheel controls. It is not a mirror of your phone. You can configure Andriod Auto and select what apps will be shown on the vehicle's screen. I use Waze and Google maps primarily over the sucky built-in TomTom navigation system. As far as phone calls, text messages, or Google Assistant, you can use steering wheel controls. I'm still adjusting to Android Auto but as I do, I'm liking it.

So far the only negative I have is with navigation. Using Waze or Google maps, the turn instructions that the factory nav provided in the DIC or in the HUD isn't there.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On the newer version of Uconnect, wireless Android Auto and I believe Car Play is now supported. On my Uconnect 5 with my Samsung s21, Bluetooth is used for telephone and text but WiFi is used for the balance of Android Auto features.

OP, look at Andriod Auto as your phone has been extended to your vehicle's screen and steering wheel controls. It is not a mirror of your phone. You can configure Andriod Auto and select what apps will be shown on the vehicle's screen. I use Waze and Google maps primarily over the sucky built-in TomTom navigation system. As far as phone calls, text messages, or Google Assistant, you can use steering wheel controls. I'm still adjusting to Android Auto but as I do, I'm liking it.

So far the only negative I have is with navigation. Using Waze or Google maps, the turn instructions that the factory nav provided in the DIC or in the HUD isn't there.
OP has a 21 with Uconnect4 so was replying about his system. No need to confuse people by talking about features they don't have

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I've found that Android Auto overrides the phone buttons on the steering wheel, so to make a call I have to either say "Hey Google" and then "Dial" or "Call" or tap the mic App on the display to place a call. Plugging my phone in to the USB each time I get in is getting old, but soon I should be getting the AA Wireless adapter that I ordered back in January which I hear works really well.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've found that Android Auto overrides the phone buttons on the steering wheel, so to make a call I have to either say "Hey Google" and then "Dial" or "Call" or tap the mic App on the display to place a call. Plugging my phone in to the USB each time I get in is getting old, but soon I should be getting the AA Wireless adapter that I ordered back in January which I hear works really well.
If you don't plug it in, you can use phone to make calls, and or the steering wheel buttons. I've never really gotten into voice prompts or voice to text. But then again, I don't think I've ever placed a call while driving. Just answer when people call me

Big White RAM

Reaction score
If you don't plug it in, you can use phone to make calls, and or the steering wheel buttons. I've never really gotten into voice prompts or voice to text. But then again, I don't think I've ever placed a call while driving. Just answer when people call me
Yes, before Android Auto, I would just press the phone button on the steering wheel and place calls through the trucks system via my phones bluetooth. Either way, I would have to say the name or number to dial.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OP has a 21 with Uconnect4 so was replying about his system. No need to confuse people by talking about features they don't have
Other people will read this thread.

Nothing wrong with providing accurate information.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's is 100% accurate for answering the OPs question because his truck does not have wireless android Auto capability.

Hmm...

"For those that have the 12" uconnect and use android auto, what exactly does android auto do?"

Other people read the forums.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm...

"For those that have the 12" uconnect and use android auto, what exactly does android auto do?"

Other people read the forums.
So removing all context from the original post except for the first sentence to try and prove a point? Interesting. My response answered his questions in regard to his truck. K.I.S.S.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So removing all context from the original post except for the first sentence to try and prove a point? Interesting. My response answered his questions in regard to his truck. K.I.S.S.
Good for you. We aren't talking about your answer, though, we're talking about the reply you took issue with. Nothing wrong with that reply.

I think we've derailed this thread long enough, though. I'm out. We can argue in the Freedom Convoy thread if you really want to.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good for you. We aren't talking about your answer, though, we're talking about the reply you took issue with. Nothing wrong with that reply.

I think we've derailed this thread long enough, though. I'm out. We can argue in the Freedom Convoy thread if you really want to.
The reply I took issue with was you insinuating my initial reply was not accurate.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
It's is 100% accurate for answering the OPs question because his truck does not have wireless android Auto capability.
Actually my 21 with the 12" uconnect does have android auto capabilities that's why I was inquiring about it

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Ok please stop arguing about this. This wasnt meant to be anything other than what I originally asked. My 21 Built To Serve Ram with the 12" uconnect system is android auto capable that's why I was inquiring about it. I never used the android auto app before so i was asking about the features and what it can and cant do. On someone's advice in the comments i did download the app to my Galaxy phone and set it up with uconnect. Having found out it basically takes over the system and is pretty intrusive I decided not to keep the app so I deleted it. I already bluetooth the 3000 songs I have on my phone and can make calls via bluetooth connection through the steering wheel buttons so I dont really need to android auto app anyway and I hardly ever use the navigation feature. I'm currently still on my free trial of the uconnect service so I'll wait and see when I dont renew that subscription. I may try the android app again then but we'll see

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Actually my 21 with the 12" uconnect does have android auto capabilities that's why I was inquiring about it
Yes, never said it didn't. But you don't have wireless android auto which you asked about.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Yes, never said it didn't. But you don't have wireless android auto which you asked about.
I think I might. I started to watch a YouTube video but had to stop because I ran out of time but they showed how to connect it via bluetooth on a 19 ram with the 12" screen. As I said I didn't have time to watch the entire video though

Users who are viewing this thread